DSG and handbrake on slope

Always had manual cars but could be persuaded to get a DSG.

My driveway is on a significant slope.  Sometimes the handbrake does not hold as well as it could so I leave the car in gear.

Daft laddie question - can I/how do I park up a DSG car, engage the handbrake and leave in gear?

Cheers.

Regardless, you have a handbrake, just a tiny little one, electronically triggered. Any slope will be no issue, as DSG will block front drive train, while handbrake will block rears - no difference as it was in manual whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

If there was a Hand Brake then you might know how far up you pull it. 

But it is a finger brake now for the e-brake / parking brake.

Foot on brake, move shifter to 'P',  Parking Brake on as on a slope you do not want all the pressure on the pawl that is holding the car when in P.

If really concerned it will be back to the future and the need for Blocks / Bricks / boulders or Chocks in front of the wheels in the coldest of weather.

104760n-big-chock.jpg.11e9d1120078c15d56d3c3883e7c0b8e.jpg

5a6eecef7d5f4_4b-HowtoChangeaTire-carparkedonaflatsurfacewithreartiresblockedwithalargepieceofwoodarrowpointstowoodpiece.jpg.70cea9aacada2e9003d62dd5fc209e72.jpg

wheel-chock-chocked-handbrake-hand-brake-brakes-hill-parking-on-roll-CNYEXD.jpg.4b2980a6422aa8cf6bb397f140a8f159.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Topic started in Octavia mk 4, but is this the intended purchase car???

I Agree with eRoot as not having the weight of the car resting on the pawl when parked on a slope. 

But then I would take other measures if I had a manual also if parking on a 'significant slope, just to be sure.