Travel assist steering wheel sensor faulty

So since accepting the car back, the travel assist fault has appeared a couple of times. 
I have had the travel assist unavailable alert with the amber triangle and amber travel assist symbol. 
It has always cleared itself after a short time and has not stayed in for a while journey so far.

I have contacted the dealer and the car if going back to see if they can find out what is wrong. 

DCF4B9F8-4686-41CB-84E0-BCE0FC87424B.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

So since accepting the car back, the travel assist fault has appeared a couple of times. 
I have had the travel assist unavailable alert with the amber triangle and amber travel assist symbol. 
It has always cleared itself after a short time and has not stayed in for a while journey so far.

I have contacted the dealer and the car if going back to see if they can find out what is wrong. 

DCF4B9F8-4686-41CB-84E0-BCE0FC87424B.jpeg

That's exactly what mine does - I would say I get that fault twice a week... My replacement steering wheel is in and due to be replaced end of Jan. I doubt the steering wheel is the issue, anyway I'll get it replaced and see what happens...

13 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

Does your fault stay on or disappear during the journey.

The annoying thing is the fact it is so intermittent.

No disappears after a few minutes. What is more frustrating is the systems’ incorrect reading of signs (sometimes in metric) and I’ve had a few times the car anchor on at 80 mph (on the motorway) when it thinks the limit has dropped to 40. I think it believes I’m driving on a parallel road.

All that said it makes motorway driving so much easier - I love it (and so does my son!). I did a 500 mile round trip to Kent yesterday (funeral) and it’s so much less tiring...

Funny enough mine reads the road signs wrong sometimes.

I have had it think it is on a parallel road and try to rapidly slow down as you described, I also have had it showing 45 in a 30 and 110 while on a 70 road, so showing KPH not MPH.

The reading in KPH is not so much a worry as it then wants to go faster but the other way keeps you on your toes 😂.

Hope they can sort the travel assist out otherwise I will be asking to reject the car.

39 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

I have had it think it is on a parallel road and try to rapidly slow down as you described, I also have had it showing 45 in a 30 and 110 while on a 70 road, so showing KPH not MPH.

The reading in KPH is not so much a worry as it then wants to go faster but the other way keeps you on your toes 😂.

Hope they can sort the travel assist out otherwise I will be asking to reject the car.

This car has been out for 4+ years - right? Surely the technology should be pretty mature and they should have the bugs ironed out? Or is this travel assist system relative new?

No idea how new the system is but I would think it would have come down from Audi and VW before it gets to Škoda or at least a version of it.

Not that happy that the same fault has reappeared but will give the dealer another chance to sort It out. 

If after them looking into it it keeps happening I will be looking at rejecting the car as I almost did until it was apparently fixed the day after I dropped the keys and registration documents at the dealer asking for a full refund.
They suddenly had it fixed and asked if we would be happy to keep the car which we did but maybe that was a mistake.

4 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

No idea how new the system is but I would think it would have come down from Audi and VW before it gets to Škoda or at least a version of it.

Not that happy that the same fault has reappeared but will give the dealer another chance to sort It out. 

If after them looking into it it keeps happening I will be looking at rejecting the car as I almost did until it was apparently fixed the day after I dropped the keys and registration documents at the dealer asking for a full refund.
They suddenly had it fixed and asked if we would be happy to keep the car which we did but maybe that was a mistake.

Shall we start a class action?! 😭

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

What dealer are you dealing with. Maybe worth mentioning that someone else has a similar problem and the dealers may be able to talk to each other to sort it out.

I am dealing with Allams of Epsom.

Lookers, Manchester 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my car since November and took it with the fault showing but was told that heavy rain could effect  the sensor!!!

Intermittently I had the fault and reported it to the dealer and was asked to take the vehicle into them on the 4th January. Today I was told that I could pick the car up and the issue was with the software and Skoda was aware of it but as yet there was no fix.

I was happy to accept the car back and to wait for the software fix but on the drive home I found that there was no front park sensor.

I am waiting for the dealer to get back to me.

I was surprised to find that mine was not an isolated case and would agree that such a fault should have been fixed before the vehicle left the factory. New models are road tested and I can not believe that this issue was not picked up on these drives.

These incidents does not give you any confidence to pursue Skoda for an electric vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been told my car is faulting the steering wheel hands off sensor, nothing do do with what was faulting the previous time.

My dealer is waiting for more details from Skoda about the next steps, they did phone to ask if when I had the faults come up if the heated steering wheel was on and I believe it was for me.

• 2 months later...

Any update on this? I have just got my new Kodiaq and facing with exactly the same issue - time by time, when I start driving, there is an error, that Travel assist is unavailable. For me it looks like a firmware issue, because it happens only at the beginning of my drive. Looks like travel assist software is not starting properly and that's why error is showing up 3-5 times.

I talked with Skoda this evening and was told that a software fix would be available between the 15th and 25th April and to wait and see if this fixed the issue!!!!!

What amazes me is the lack of official recognition by Skoda that they have a problem. 

At least you have answered a question that I have been asking, are they still selling vehicles with this issue.

It is not pleasant driving a car bt trial and error. 

Well, at least some promise to have an update, although it still sounds they have no idea what exactly will be fixed. Have to agree it's very poor communication from Skoda! I don't believe they haven't noticed the issue. Is there only one coder in VAG group able to fix anything? Let's hope he has planned some time slot in April to check the Kodiaqs!

I still have the fault.

Was told it was the steering wheel and it would be replaced, but that was changed to a software fix and I am still waiting.

I have noticed that it seems to fault when the heated steering wheel is on, and as soon as I turn the heating off the fault clears.

There is a definite connection to the heated steering wheel and the new shape from issues raised on this forum.

But when I asked what could be effected by the software issues I got no answers.

It would be nice if Skoda would come clean especially when they are still selling vehicles with this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2020 at 21:34, Billywizzo said:

I have the same problem on my week old Octavia vRS fitted with travel assist randomly reading road signs in kph and braking the car.  Any news or luck from the dealer on a fix?  

Edited by Pete

I have now been offered the steering wheel change, which in my opinion is a pacifying move by Skoda.

I have no choice but to allow them to do this change since my next step will be to go to DVSA and I have to be seen to have given them a chance to fix it.

I do not see why this has not been classified as a safety critical issue. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I have the same problem on my week old Octavia vRS fitted with travel assist randomly reading road signs in kph and braking the car.  Any news or luck from the dealer on a fix?  

The dealer have said that skoda have informed them that a software fix is on the way. Still not sure if it is for the travel assist fault or the road signs in KPH.

My travel assist fault only seems to occur when the heated steering wheel if on.

4 hours ago, Billywizzo said:

The dealer have said that skoda have informed them that a software fix is on the way. Still not sure if it is for the travel assist fault or the road signs in KPH.

My travel assist fault only seems to occur when the heated steering wheel if on.

I haven’t got a heated steering wheel, but hopefully these software gremlins will get sorted.  🤦🏼

Hope everyone who as any of there faults, the speed signs showing in KPH not MPH  and travel assist faults make sure to highlight them to Skoda. Otherwise they may think it only affects a few cars and may not bother to fix it.

Here's my Kodiaq with Travel Assist engaged travelling along a dual carriage. The carriage ways starts at 70 MPH but then you'll see me pass through into 50 MPH - at this point the car reads the sign as 50 KPH and changes the car's target speed to ~31 MPH (50 KPH). Very dangerous, as it anchors on the brakes. 

Skoda Kodiaq Travel Assist Error

Also a picture of my wife driving through a 30 MPH with the car's intended speed set to 80!

IMG_0529.thumb.jpeg.4bc519b9af669f2fa839a16416ea4615.jpeg

I've a few of these pics.

Also I get droning noise when braking hard from motorway speed. I wonder if my discs could be warped? Anyone got a view on that?

Cheers Pete

• 2 months later...

Update regarding Škoda Kodiaq MY21 heated steering wheel & Travel Assist issue. I was at dealer, they confirmed the issue and said that internally Škoda is aware about it since November 2020. That was strange, because my car was assembled in January 2021. They said that steering wheel will be changed and ordered new one. This week they got new one and yesterday it was changed. Guess what? Today the same error is popping up in exactly the same way :/ I sent all the videos to the dealer and now I'm waiting for the next solution. It's starts to become a bit frustrating. Btw, software update that was discussed above was indeed released in April. I recommend to proceed with update at dealer (from version 0270 to 0276). It makes MIB3 system more stable (google for more details). However that is not related to the steering wheel issue.