Led high beams and led day time lights confusion

I have a Octavia 2 FL elegance I wanted to change my high beams to LED's but I'm confused as to what bulb I'm looking for.

someone has told me that i need a H7 bulb that does high and low beam, but on forums it looks like i have 2 bulbs H7 for dipped and a H1 for the high beam.

I would like to be able to upgrade just the high beam as the dipped are illegal (as far as I'm aware) and might be too bright.

I do a lot of night time driving on county roads so use high beams a lot and would love to be able to see even better.

My other question is if I have DRLs I read somewhere that I have to use the indicator stalk to turn them on would like to find out how to do so, and also get some LED's if I do.

Any help would be great as I'm lost

On a FL it should be a H7 for dipped and H1 for main beam. Using LED's in dipped or main beams is equality illegal and should both fail the UK MOT in the same way, namely "4.1.4(c): Light source and lamp not compatible".

Personally, I never had an issue with the main beams on my MK2 FL, they were nice and bright with decent throw. I'd suggest you make sure they are correctly aligned and that the reflectors, lens, bulbs are in good condition and clean. However, if you do need more light, fitting an LED lightbar is probably the best solution. They are typically more popular in the Scandinavian counties and can be fitted in a few places.

As for the DRL, the method to turn them on/off is mentioned in the owners manual:

image.png.fad0c91972b5c18608e92db9050f101a.png

If that doesn't work, you'll probably need the DRL's enabling with VCDS or similar first :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, langers2k said:

On a FL it should be a H7 for dipped and H1 for main beam. Using LED's in dipped or main beams is equality illegal and should both fail the UK MOT in the same way, namely "4.1.4(c): Light source and lamp not compatible".

Personally, I never had an issue with the main beams on my MK2 FL, they were nice and bright with decent throw. I'd suggest you make sure they are correctly aligned and that the reflectors, lens, bulbs are in good condition and clean. However, if you do need more light, fitting an LED lightbar is probably the best solution. They are typically more popular in the Scandinavian counties and can be fitted in a few places.

As for the DRL, the method to turn them on/off is mentioned in the owners manual:

image.png.fad0c91972b5c18608e92db9050f101a.png

If that doesn't work, you'll probably need the DRL's enabling with VCDS or similar first :)

Thank you so much this is really helpful, I've had this car well over a year and still finding things on the forum i had no idea I could do, I will test the lights to see what I've got.

Cheers for the quick helpful reply.

The enabling work for DRLs referred to above can also be done with the Carista app on facelift models. Once done, they can be turned on or off using the turn indicator stalk as mentioned above and also described in the handbook.

• Like 1

I don't like the LED conversions and fear the illegal aspect, so I've always gone for aftermarket replacement bulbs.

Osram Nightbreakers on Amazon are currently under £16 a pair ... I've used them for years.

I use Philips sidelight bulbs to colour match - there is a post i put up back around Jan/Feb time listing some links there

Try this link, but remember to select the correct models(s) the dipped and full beam bulbs will be different, easliy googled on a car spares site quoting your reg / model + year > https://www.amazon.co.uk/generation-brightness-headlamp-64210NL-HCB-passenger/dp/B07FXH9352/ref=asc_df_B07FXRDJV7/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310764720204&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4319726003812413288&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006668&hvtargid=pla-592557309357&th=1

Edited by CB_4x4
missing words !