Rear fog light not working. Octavia 3 2017

Hi guys.

have just discovered (courtesy of recent foggy weather) that my 2017 Octavia’s rear fog light isn’t working.

The light unit had been broken in a supermarket car park a few months back and I replaced the unit with an identical one bought online.  

the tail light, break and indicator all work fine.  

figured It’s either the bulb or I hadn’t hooked up a cable correctly.  So when I took it off to have a look have discovered that there are only two bulbs (both fine).  The fog lamps appear to be LEDs.  Can’t see where they connect. 

there are two connections from the lamp unit one goes to the bulb assembly the other just appears to end.  Clearly am missing something.

any help?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just to rule out any confusion, is this the passenger or driver side cluster you're looking at?

I only ask as the default setting is to have one rear fog light working which is on the drivers side :)

Were there any warnings on the dashboard saying the fog light didn't work?

Yup, just the drivers side should work as standard.

I'd not noticed the white 2-pin plug being disconnected in your first post. That should definitely be connected to something and tallies with the warning on the dash...

If I get time over the weekend, I'll remove my rear cluster and take a look for you. Unless someone has one handy or some decent pictures :)

In the meantime, you can take the passenger side off and compare. That will have the same white 2-pin plug but it should be connected correctly with any luck ;)

Suspecting it may be a software issue.  

reading other posts it would seem it’s possible to get the car to display fog lights on both units.   This requires a software change on the car.  

guessing this means they can create one type of unit and just switch it from side to side depending where the car is to be used.

Just had my drivers side rear cluster off, it has the same wire clipped on to the reflector so it appears to be normal... :/

When you replaced the rear lights, did you do both and use exactly the same part number?

Might be worth connecting VCDS or similar but typically, I wouldn't expect replacing a rear light to need any coding etc.

So - if you have one side an LED variant and the other side a incandescent variant for the fog light - in *theory* it will still work.

So - if one tail lamp is LED, you have to tell VCDS that it is a option 40 - as opposed to option 9 - which is the incandescent bulb option.

• 3 weeks later...