Loss of MPG

kkbc

Evening all,

I have 2012 Octavia 2.0 TDI L&G (FL).

I've noticed recently noticed a loss in MPG, i've always been impressed with how high it was. I tested it this morning down the motorway. Purposely Set cruise low to around 65 mph. Normally it would easily achieve 60-70 MPG. It struggled to return 52/53. 

One thing I have noticed is that when you take your foot off the accelerator (still in gear) it slows down significantly , even when going down hill. 

No warnings on the dash, no noises, no loss of power. Just seems really strange. Any ideas? TIA.

Edited by kkbc

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Feel the temperature of all the brake discs after a run, especially the rears.

Think they could be sticking? It's always had a slight judder when breaking to a stop. No noises though. 

You do want to check the brakes, but be careful; the disks themselves could be really hot, so use caution, checking around the area, rather than the disks themselves.

For reasons I've never really understood, as JR says, it is more often the rears than the fronts.

In doing this, ideally, you would want to coast to a stop/use the gears, as using the brakes will confuse things by putting heat in to the brakes deliberately.

The smell immediately flags up the problem to me, TBF you might not initially know but once you realise as with most smells the slightest whiff gets your attention.

8 hours ago, Camlobe said:

You do want to check the brakes, but be careful; the disks themselves could be really hot, so use caution, checking around the area, rather than the disks themselves.

For reasons I've never really understood, as JR says, it is more often the rears than the fronts.

In doing this, ideally, you would want to coast to a stop/use the gears, as using the brakes will confuse things by putting heat in to the brakes deliberately.

Thanks for your reply. I did the same test today doing what you suggested to slow/stop the car  - which was easy to do so quite conclusive as to what the issue is. Rear brakes were pretty much cold. The front ones very hot - could feel the heat approaching them. Thought it could be engine heat initially but could barely touch them. Wonder what's causing this? Simple to fix? I'm not very mechanical 😁