Estate exhaust system

Doofy

Just been under the back end of the car fitting a replacement reverse sensor, Had a look underneath at the exhaust system, Just checking everything, seems ok,  Noticed from the back box to nearly the front its a complete pipe, No joints.. Looks like when the car was built the exhaust was put on first then the complete rear suspension over it.  Thought the back box would have been joined to middle section by means of a bolted flange,,   Doesn't look like its a DIY job, Unless you happen to have welding and cutting gear at your disposal.. Anyone ever done this before??

Edited by Doofy

Replacement parts will have a sleeve or flanged joint, you simply cut the old pipe off, if you are only replacing part of it then you make the cut in the scrap part & then cut to the right length for the sleeve joint.

Most modern vehicles take their original exhausts to the grave with them, I have not seen a dedicated fast fit exhaust place for a couple of decades, at one time they were on every street corner.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Replacement parts will have a sleeve or flanged joint, you simply cut the old pipe off, if you are only replacing part of it then you make the cut in the scrap part & then cut to the right length for the sleeve joint.

Most modern vehicles take their original exhausts to the grave with them, I have not seen a dedicated fast fit exhaust place for a couple of decades, at one time they were on every street corner.

Come to mention it, No i haven't seen an exhaust place for years, Makes sense a replacement system would come in sections for easy fitting, It's over 15 years old now and done 125,000 miles and still looks decent, It's the original VW stamped system , They were made to last.

The last cars I changed the exhaust on were a 1994 VW Polo, a 1996 Citroen ZX and a 1996 Skoda Felicia.

Since then I've have 2003+ cars and they all still had the original exhaust after many years and miles.

Seems they just don't rust like they used to.

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

I was told (when my exhaust fell off my old car) by the AA man who bodged it together that more modern cars tend to have low grade stainless steel systems instead so exhaust corrosion problems are rare and it’s unusual now for them to be called to similar problems 🤷‍♀️ Xx 

• Like 1

On 18/11/2020 at 16:45, Phil-E said:

Since then I've have 2003+ cars and they all still had the original exhaust after many years and miles.

That's a lot of cars, Phil. :giggle:........................ (:shake: there's always one....... I'll get my coat, Lol).

• Haha 1