Karoq Adaptive LED lights

Ex_Yeti

I haven't seen a tread on this particular topic among the various MY21 discussions.

I replaced my SEL Drive Yeti with a Karoq SEL about 7 weeks ago but due to the various restrictions I haven't used it much at night. However I have done so yesterday and today (including a trip back from a relative in hospital..) and I began to consider how the Adaptive LEDs on the Karoq compare to the Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights I had on my Yeti. I even conducted some deliberate tests on my way home this evening and my conclusion is that I don't have any adaptive action, merely that the fog lights come on on either side when cornering (my SEL Yeti did that too). With the Yeti the cornering effect as the bi-Xenon units swiveled from side to side was very good but if my Karoq is supposed to have a similar function then it is very subtle indeed.

On switch-on the Yeti system did a little "dance" up/down and side to side, my Karoq does this too although significantly only up and down.

Is this another MY21 bit of cost cutting or do I have a fault with my car?

I haven't driven my Karoq at night yet either, but had Dynamic Light Assist Bi-Xenons on my previous Golf. These were extremely effective, with a mask that moved across the beam to shield other vehicles so that the main beam didn't dazzle them.

When I selected the Karoq as a replacement I knew it wouldn't have this feature, and the LED lights work by turning individual light elements on or off rather than moving a physical mask. My understanding is that they adapt by widening or narrowing the beam at different speeds, or when you are in towns. So you should see further into the distance with a narrow beam on a motorway, or a wider beam when driving slowly on a narrow country lane. I've read that the cornering light uses both the appropriate fog light as well as a cornering beam in the headlight. 

So the turn-on dance is only testing the physical vertical adjustment to keep the beam level regardless of the load in the boot, and the sideways adjustment is purely electronic. 

It sounds like your car is performing as it should, and when lockdown is lifted I might be able to test mine out too!

Chris  

• Like 1

The Karoq has Afs1 which basically means it can adapt the length of the dipped beam depending on speed and uses the fog lights for the low speed cornering function. 

they do not swivel like the afs2 bi xenons you used to have, so no steer function. 

the new version of afs2 is called LED matrix and is on the new octavia, the headlights are sort of on full beam all the time but use the camera and radar system to cut out followed and oncoming traffic to avoid dazzling them. 

Edited by MrAdamwood
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, I am much better informed now!

I don't have any complaint with my Karoq's lights they are good and yes there is a relatively wide spread in narrow lanes of which I have plenty close to home. But it just goes to show that I should try to find out more about a car before I buy it!  I was buying a similar trim level car to my Yeti (SEL), and the word "adaptive" was in the brochure so I assumed that it was a similar system just updated with LEDs as the light source not Xenons.

I did know that the Karoq was going to be very different to the Yeti but I must admit it is more different in a lot of respects than I anticipated.

Rod

The Karoq has the same AFS LED headlights as the Kodiaq. Only the Superb and new Octavia have the full LED matrix headlights.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/innovative-lighting-technology-for-maximum-safety-skoda-utilises-led-headlights/

The link I previously posted has the date 2015 on the bottom.

Edited by Kenny R

5 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

The Karoq has the same AFS LED headlights as the Kodiaq. Only the Superb and new Octavia have the full LED matrix headlights.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/innovative-lighting-technology-for-maximum-safety-skoda-utilises-led-headlights/

The link I previously posted has the date 2015 on the bottom.

Sorry, I didn't see that :(