MOT wheel advisory advice please?

Car passed its MOT this morning with flying colours, save for the one advisory, is this something I should be worried about? They said it was fine, but just noticed it whilst they had it up in the air turning the wheels. 

Car drives fine, probably a bloody pothole at some point in time! 🤬🤣

sketch-1606304885389.thumb.png.c263f49786f228072645207b88038562.png

20201125_145318.jpg

20201125_145325.jpg

20201125_145332.jpg

20201125_145339.jpg

Wheels with low profile tyres are prone to pothole damage.

Notice that you have about 85 grams of wheel weights stuck on to balance the wheel. That's a large amount and probably due to the rim damage.

Are they 225/40R18 tyres? If so, 17" rims with 225/45R17 tyres would give you more chance of avoiding future damage from potholes. 205/55R16 is even better.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

They're 225/45/17, just standard wheels and tyres that came with the car. 

I'm going to try and have a look at the inside of the rim opposite the weights tomorrow in the daylight, see if there's any noticeable damage. 👍

2 minutes ago, broona said:

They're 225/45/17, just standard wheels and tyres that came with the car. 

I'm going to try and have a look at the inside of the rim opposite the weights tomorrow in the daylight, see if there's any noticeable damage. 👍

The damage is likely to have already been there when the wheel was last balanced...usually when the tyre was last fitted. If someone has driven with underinflated tyres that will also make them more prone to pothole damage.

The problem is, some potholes can be very deep and hidden by a puddle of water...so even wheels with 225/45R17 tyres aren't immune to damage from big potholes.

I doubt it would have happened if they had been 205/55R16...especially on stronger steel rims. Also steel rims don't cost much to replace.

Alcar 8667 Steel Rims 6.5Jx16 ET46 5/112 57.1

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750766

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not looking at changing the wheels, I understand that higher profile tyres and steel wheels will be much stronger, but they'll also generally look awful, even with trims! 

I was just checking on my options, hopefully it will be OK as it is, but I'm going to see if I can get it checked over. 

If the wheel is distorted/ out of square so to speak, surely in time you will develop uneven tyre wear and make affect the handling? Might even weaken the structure of the wheel. I`d personally get it looked at. 

It looks like you have the Skoda DENOM alloy rims 7Jx17 ET49 OEM part number 5E0601025D

See item 1 in the link below to a Skoda online parts catalogue:

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601070/part_id/2543668/lang/e

If you look at the back of one of your alloy rims you will see this OEM part number cast into it, ie. 5E0601025D

If you want to search for a replacement alloy rim, then using the OEM number is a good way to search.

Here's a new replacement on skoda-parts.com

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e0601025d8z8-aluminium-disc-17-denom-skoda-36241.html

It's possible 225/50R17 could be used instead of the standard 225/45R17 to reduce the risk of further pothole damage. However, you would have to change all four tyres to this size and possibly the spare. 225/50R17 is a more expensive tyre size than 225/45R17.

225/50R17 is used on the Octavia MK3 Scout on 7Jx17 ET45 rims.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

It’s not possible to see from a photo how much slight distortion is, but must be more than very slight to have been detected

Therefore can’t really offer advice on remaining lifespan, but I would be looking to replace the rim, if tyre is ok then it can be refitted.

If you don’t have a spare wheel, you may prefer to keep existing one for emergency use and get new tyre at same time

• Thanks 1

Thats a huge amount of weights!  I had a Vec with a buckled wheel and they could always balance out but it didnt require that much weight.  I personally would look to replace the wheel and would check the wheel over in the meantime and make sure there are no hairline cracks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1