Borg Warner vs Garrett Turbos 1.6 Tdi

Good evening all.

I'm just curious as to what turbo is meant to come on the 1.6 tdi engines. My car has a Borg Warner bv39-f turbo on it but from what i've gathered these come with garrett turbos too. Is there any easy way to know which car has what? Were the borg warners fitted to certain years or certain models? I'm more curious than anything else. Moreover, are the turbos interchangeable? If my turbo went tomorrow could I pull a garrett turbo off another 1.6 and bolt it up?

52 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

The actuator comes with the turbo, VAG only sell them as a complete assembly.

So in that case it might be possible to swap one for the other, I see. I'm moreso asking out of curiosity rather than actually planning on anything, from what I can see and feel, my turbo is still running in top shape.

7 hours ago, DieselMonte said:

So in that case it might be possible to swap one for the other, I see. I'm moreso asking out of curiosity rather than actually planning on anything, from what I can see and feel, my turbo is still running in top shape.

They both do exactly the same job and fit the same, they're simple devices and from a technical perspective are almost identical.

The manufacturers have both been around for donkeys years except Borg Warner used to be KKK, I guess they got rebranded because of the negative connotations with white supremacy.

2 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

They both do exactly the same job and fit the same, they're simple devices and from a technical perspective are almost identical.

The manufacturers have both been around for donkeys years except Borg Warner used to be KKK, I guess they got rebranded because of the negative connotations with white supremacy.

I'm pretty sure my turbo says KK3 on it somewhere.

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

They might be identical but one pushes and the other pulls. Also one uses a negative feed the other a positive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AMD87 said:

They might be identical but one pushes and the other pulls. Also one uses a negative feed the other a positive. 

You keep saying this but I don't understand why you think it makes any difference.

Obviously you need to use the appropriate actuator with the applicable turbo but if you're swapping out the entire turbo assembly it makes no difference whatsoever.

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

You keep saying this but I don't understand why you think it makes any difference.

Obviously you need to use the appropriate actuator with the applicable turbo but if you're swapping out the entire turbo assembly it makes no difference whatsoever.

I keep saying it because it won’t work unless you get it changed in the mapping :blink:

some of us have actually changed turbos you know. 

53 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

I keep saying it because it won’t work unless you get it changed in the mapping :blink:

some of us have actually changed turbos you know. 

I know, you have like a ginormous thingy, you may have mentioned it in passing once or twice. I doubt anyone else noticed, but I have an eye for these things from being in the tuning trade for so long.

So an electronic actuator that pulls needs a completely different map to one that pushes?

28 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

I know, you have like a ginormous thingy, you may have mentioned it in passing once or twice. I doubt anyone else noticed, but I have an eye for these things from being in the tuning trade for so long.

So an electronic actuator that pulls needs a completely different map to one that pushes?

It’s cute you noticed. I’d be hoping if you were in the tuning trade you’d know these things. 

Simple research on the bv39-f and the GTC1244MVZ. 

next you’ll be saying the GTD1244VZ will bolt right up.