Fuel issue diesel VRS

Hello I have recently purchased a diesel estate vrs and have noticed I am using a lot of fuel for not many miles. I am getting 39 mpg and do short journeys. I recently had the DPF regenerised thinking this could be the issue. I do not have it in sport mode just normal but seems to be juicy. Can someone suggest anything if noticed the same issues

I assume you’re talking average mpg...I have a diesel vrs with dsg and 4x4 and commute on motorways. On a good smooth run I can push about 55mpg but once off the motorway onto a roads with roundabouts, junctions and general accelerating regularly that’ll drop to just over 50. Also, if just using the car for short journeys I’ll struggle to average more than around 45.

6 minutes ago, Kaarlsberg said:

I am only doing short journeys generally 6 miles a day to and from work and bought the car for trips with my children 

With a 2.0 diesel. Dang, i bet it's not even warm by the time you get to work! 

Good luck with the regens. 

• Like 1

You really should consider buying a petrol, short journeys like that will be the death of a diesel engine.

I had similar commute to work and had nothing but dpf issues in my previous (non-skoda) car. Your car probably isn't even getting up to normal running temp on the drive to work so idling at a higher revs to warm up, mine didn't and it was a 1.6.

I changed job and now have an hour long drive to work so bought diesel again, since lockdown and working from home now, all trips to drop kids to school etc are done in the missus petrol car, I learnt the dpf lesson the hard way :).

• Like 1

On my VRS tdi at the moment with not doing as many motorway journeys with predominantly working from home, I'm getting around 40 - 45mpg tank average. With the temperatures now close to 0'c, journey mog average is varying between 30 - 35mpg.

When the temperatures increase, low 50s are achievable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interersting thread - I have a 2014 VRS that has now covered 64k, my commute to the office was 9miles, some was stop start, some was driven briskly but mpg wise was mid 40's mpg, if adding any work journeys it would increase to 50'ish mpg . The car is mainly driven in 'normal' mode, oil is checked weekly along with tyre pressures (set to full load), tyres are Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4's. Fuel is mainly from supermarkets (never seen the point of using a premium plus fuel at an additional 10-15p/lt or £4-6/tank full), car is on a long life service plan. I try not to rev the engine above 2.5k until its warm/normal running temp.

Over the last 6 years I've found that the cooler weather improves the engines responsiveness and increases mpg on longer runs but decreases it on shorter runs.