Brake noise on new Sportline

Bud1

Hi all

Have a new Sportline 3 weeks now. Brakes seem to be rubbing after starting in the morning or after it's been sitting up for a few hours during the day. Not sure to highlight it now or see if it resolves itself in the next few weeks. Anyone see this issue? Cheers 

Salt from gritted roads tends to cause more surface rust on brake discs when parked up, and it’s normal to hear this being scraped off the first time the brakes are applied.

The owners manual does tell you about 'driving in new cars'.

The new pads and discs are at the thickest they will ever be until they are replaced sometime so use them.

Then a little cosmetic rust makes them even closer so clean it off in the first few hundred meters of driving the car,

With an e-Brake and not a manual parking / hand brake that is not so easy.

The discs on all current Skodas are quite poor quality and rust VERY quickly, nothing you can do until they need changing (then fit something like Brembo which are FAR better).

• Like 1

The issue is inherent throughtout VAG. There is no such thing as 'Skoda' brakes as someone above alludes to, the same VW Group branded brakes and are used on many different vehicles ( the brakes on a Skoda are normally stamped 'VW Audi'.)  If the car has been parked up overnight, or sat for a length of time especially in winter, I'd expect everyone to experience this.

Best advice I can give is when the conditions allow, stamp on the brakes a few times ( emergency stop ) that should bed them in a little. If the brakes are making a noise when you press them then report this to dealer, the pads on both my Karoq and Ateca were replaced under warranty although the brakes on the Kodiaq have been perfectly normal. ( over the first 450 miles anyway ).

I see you have Audi A6 listed under your name, did you have that car from new? Were the brakes not the same? I test drove an A6 estate off the forecourt at the beginning of this year and it was exactly the same, infact I had to give it some welly to get the car moving despite only 1000 miles on the clock, it had obviously been sitting on display for sometime. It sounded like a train stopping at the station when I slowed down.

In my experience, VAG cars suffer from this more than any other manufacturer.

Yes Scot I had an A6 2016 from new. The day I picked up the car the back right wheel bearing was faulty. 

The brakes never gave me any issue however. I put 267km on the Audi in 4.5yrs. Great motor no issues of significance. 

Went for Kodiaq for more space. I'll try what you propose and see what happens. 

12 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

The issue is inherent throughtout VAG. There is no such thing as 'Skoda' brakes as someone above alludes to, the same VW Group branded brakes and are used on many different vehicles ( the brakes on a Skoda are normally stamped 'VW Audi'.)

I think you need to reread what I actually wrote rather than what you think I wrote:

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The discs on all current Skodas....

Nobody said they are specifically Škoda parts.

Škoda are now using parts made from very poor quality steel, worse than on older Skoda's (2010 and 2014 from personal experience) VWs and Audi’s, I cannot comment on the quality of newer VWs and Audi’s as I haven’t checked them.

On my 2015 Superb the quality was pretty shocking, these only had 52K miles / 3 years on them:

IMG_0158.jpg

The replacement Brembo’s still look like new 2 years later, as do my wife’s 2 ½ year old Nissan discs and on my old BMW, yes there is slight wear, but they are smooth and even wear, zoom in on the photo and you will see not only have they got deep grooves, but these groove are also heavily rusted.

• Like 2