Cone Filter on 245 vRS....?

Hi all, 

I'm after a bit more noise from my car, without it being antisocial as it is my family car & I use it for work... so really looking perhaps for some induction noise over exhaust noise... as a start at least and I was wondering if a cone filter will offer some nice induction noise, or if its fairly pointless? I have an after market panel filter at the moment and that offers no gain in noise, so wondering what peoples experience was?

Also, does it need mapping in? My old scoobie needed a remap after adding a cone filter, not sure if this engine requires it?

+ any recommendations on cone filters if people have them would be appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

Cone filters will add noise but you not much. You can fit the intakes such as the R600 and others but they are a lot of money for little performance gains and noise.

Have you looked at fitting a turbo intake pipe with muffler delete. You will get more turbo noise with that.

1 hour ago, Ecomatt said:

Cone filters will add noise but you not much. You can fit the intakes such as the R600 and others but they are a lot of money for little performance gains and noise.

Have you looked at fitting a turbo intake pipe with muffler delete. You will get more turbo noise with that.

Thanks, nope I had not considered this, does it come as a 'kit' so to speak? Do you have a link you could share so I can look into it?

Thanks

APR do the muffler delete (among others), although from my experience - checking out an Audi TT and Golf GTI both with the delete applied whilst having my car worked on at QS Tuning - the difference is almost unnoticeable. Certainly not worth the £150 price tag (+ labour).

Cone filters in and of themselves don't add the level of induction noise you'd expect of a naturally aspirated car (obv 😊), so you'll be focused on increasing turbo spool noise. The MY2019 cars are near-silent anyway, so you may have to spend a bit of cash to get it to be noisier unfortunately.

You'd be better off investing in an induction kit like the R600 or equivalents, with the silicone intake pipe. Google "Skoda Octavia VRS 245 induction kit" for ideas - plenty from Revo, APR, RacingLine etc.

Performance benefits are typically psychological, rather than tangible, but if you're after smiles rather than 'mad gainz' then it's well worth it.

Just don't go down the route Younger Ads did, and buy a full carbon fibre APR induction kit like an absolute n0b 😅. It's awesome, but it was stupid expensive compared to the R600 etc.

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

I had an Airtec cone filter on my 245 when I went stage 2 but not sure if it added any extra power because it had a full Milltek exhaust, a downpipe 3" and an Airtec Intercooler fitted at the same time along with the stage 2 map (only £100) to give an extra 34bhp up from 302bhp at stage 1 to 336bhp. TBH I really liked the sucking noise it made and even the wife liked it when she drove the car and asked me what made it. It made the car sound sportier even at low speeds around town without being as bad as a DV. Cost around £300 fitted which isn't cheap but I spent over £3,000 on my 245 and it certainly added to the aural drama which the standard 245 lacks sadly. If I bought another 245 then I would get it done again for sure.

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I had an Airtec cone filter on my 245 when I went stage 2 but not sure if it added any extra power because it had a full Milltek exhaust, a downpipe 3" and an Airtec Intercooler fitted at the same time along with the stage 2 map (only £100) to give an extra 34bhp up from 302bhp at stage 1 to 336bhp. TBH I really liked the sucking noise it made and even the wife liked it when she drove the car and asked me what made it. It made the car sound sportier even at low speeds around town without being as bad as a DV. Cost around £300 fitted which isn't cheap but I spent over £3,000 on my 245 and it certainly added to the aural drama which the standard 245 lacks sadly. If I bought another 245 then I would get it done again for sure.

Awesome thanks, this is what I'm after, something to add a little more zest - as its a quick and fun car.. you just wouldn't know if you heard it haha. Do you have a link to the filter you had? Makes it easier so I make sure I look at the right one! Many thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ads230 said:

APR do the muffler delete (among others), although from my experience - checking out an Audi TT and Golf GTI both with the delete applied whilst having my car worked on at QS Tuning - the difference is almost unnoticeable. Certainly not worth the £150 price tag (+ labour).

Cone filters in and of themselves don't add the level of induction noise you'd expect of a naturally aspirated car (obv 😊), so you'll be focused on increasing turbo spool noise. The MY2019 cars are near-silent anyway, so you may have to spend a bit of cash to get it to be noisier unfortunately.

You'd be better off investing in an induction kit like the R600 or equivalents, with the silicone intake pipe. Google "Skoda Octavia VRS 245 induction kit" for ideas - plenty from Revo, APR, RacingLine etc.

Performance benefits are typically psychological, rather than tangible, but if you're after smiles rather than 'mad gainz' then it's well worth it.

Just don't go down the route Younger Ads did, and buy a full carbon fibre APR induction kit like an absolute n0b 😅. It's awesome, but it was stupid expensive compared to the R600 etc.

Absolutely all about the smiles as I appreciate the minor gains that could be had may only be effective along with a turbo back exhaust/ remap etc. 

I am considering a remap, however the car is fairly quick as it is, just sounds incredibly boring... not after an antisocial sound as it wont suit the standard look of my car, but want something a bit more than what it gives now!

1 hour ago, MTwedVRS said:

Awesome thanks, this is what I'm after, something to add a little more zest - as its a quick and fun car.. you just wouldn't know if you heard it haha. Do you have a link to the filter you had? Makes it easier so I make sure I look at the right one! Many thanks

If you go to Airtec Motorsport website then click on VAG models you will see there are 35 products for Skoda and the one you need is EA888 MQB 2.0TSi engines and you get the filter, pipework and metal heatshield costing £195 including VAT.

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

If you go to Airtec Motorsport website then click on VAG models you will see there are 35 products for Skoda and the one you need is EA888 MQB 2.0TSi engines and you get the filter, pipework and metal heatshield costing £195 including VAT.

Awesome thanks, can't beat a little Christmas pressie to yourself :D 

• Like 1