Headlight mist/ condensation

Walts

I’ve seen a few might have suffered with the headlights previously.

Could anyone give me a second opinion if mine are something I should be have looked at or if there’s any fixes known.

I’ve checked the rear caps/ cover that’s are all sat tight.  I’ve dried the lights out fully previously with a hairdryer but the condensation is a daily battle.

the lights don’t appear damaged but on the in edges of both lights, as the lights run below the grill, there is a small panel gap between the black and clear plastics.  I’m unsure if this is a common finish/ design for the lights.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance 

walts

8A80AC89-07DA-4194-94F0-4B9369A4AC14.jpeg

50 minutes ago, RenzO said:

I have the same problem on my fabia, but this problem is also on other brand: Peugeot ... so I think it's "normal"

It’s bizarre, we’ve traded a 2011 car for a 2017 and this looks worse in my opinion as something looks faulty.

I’ve a mate with a 66 plate car, same spec, who’s lights last night were as clear as day and mine full of condensation again.

36C00DCE-8AC4-4856-985F-FA563D687006.jpeg

410D31B4-5296-499F-9B1D-1A4706B4D0DD.jpeg

You can’t prevent light misting like that. It’s normal esp this time of year with high humidity and rapid ambient temp, solar loading changes. All cars over the last 20 years with thin lens covers suffer with it to some extent but some are more noticeable than others in certain conditions. It should clear within 15 mins of headlight use. My O3 and Fab 3 both do it from time to time but always clear a day or so later by themselves. 

What isn’t normal is seeing drips running down the inside of one or both of the lenses. That would indicate a loose cover or cracked housing which would need attention. 

This was never a problem I've seen in any headlight in over 40 years of driving and countless cars including a mk1 fabia, 2 x mk2 fabias and a mk2 fl octavia all of which had plastic headlamps. 

My mk3 superb 2018 however suffers from this as do many others in the mk3 forum, and Skoda just glibly says this is normal and not a warranty issue.

I say bull.

The condensation will eventually stain/dirty/corrode the internals/optics in the headlight.

Modern bulbs produce light, but lot less heat than older bulbs, and LEDs do not get hot.   Therefore if you have moisture in there, it’s not going to evaporate as it did in earlier years.

If it is particularly bad, only long term solution is to replace the moisture filled unit.

9 hours ago, BigEjit said:

You can’t prevent light misting like that. It’s normal esp this time of year with high humidity and rapid ambient temp, solar loading changes. All cars over the last 20 years with thin lens covers suffer with it to some extent but some are more noticeable than others in certain conditions. It should clear within 15 mins of headlight use. My O3 and Fab 3 both do it from time to time but always clear a day or so later by themselves. 

What isn’t normal is seeing drips running down the inside of one or both of the lenses. That would indicate a loose cover or cracked housing which would need attention. 

I just find it very strange that the same car, presumably from the same year of manufacture, mine being newer than my friends and mine mist like it does.

When the lights are in use the condensation remains, it only clears once the ambient temperature equals back to the outside.  From what I can see it’s leaning no stain/ excess water but surely it must effect the light being emitted and it’s clarity for safety.

8 hours ago, xman said:

This was never a problem I've seen in any headlight in over 40 years of driving and countless cars including a mk1 fabia, 2 x mk2 fabias and a mk2 fl octavia all of which had plastic headlamps. 

My mk3 superb 2018 however suffers from this as do many others in the mk3 forum, and Skoda just glibly says this is normal and not a warranty issue.

I say bull.

The condensation will eventually stain/dirty/corrode the internals/optics in the headlight.

i agree with your statement fully, surely this is something that should and could be resolved with technology.  I know Skoda come in at a price point but when you see cheaper brands not having these issues it must be something that can be resolved.

When I bought our 2018 Fabia (without LED bulbs) this is the first thing I noticed, the lights had a lot of condensation in them. On raising it with the salesman he mentioned all of the above basically. Could be this time of year, the car has been stood for a long time without being used before we bought it, just something that happens.

Fortunately having had the car for a month or so now it's disappeared and hasn't come back, but for those it still happens with I really don't think it should. I've never had that on any of my previous cars, so it's got to be a design issue.