Kodiaq RS DPF Regeneration

Tim123

13 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

You park the csr in the garage, so your car isn’t so affected by outside temperatures. My car lives outside, so on a cold UK morning is the same temperature as the outside temperature. On my 10 mile fast A road commute (16km), the oil temperature, which is the temperature that really matters for engine longevity and better oil life, only just reaches operating temperature by the end of the journey. If you were doing a shorter commute or driving slower roads I suspect the oil would not reach operating temperature. 

Which is what a 0w-30W synthetic oil is made for though isn't it as it is designed to work within a broad temperature range. If anybody is worried about that, code it so you can start the car and lock it, so it's running for a couple of minutes outside before you leave. 

I'm not super worried about start up wear on an engine that operates below 2000 rpm most of the time anyway TBH. The 5 year warranty will last longer than I have the car regardless if any issues. 

Edited by snala

1 hour ago, snala said:

Which is what a 0w-30W synthetic oil is made for though isn't it as it is designed to work within a broad temperature range. If anybody is worried about that, code it so you can start the car and lock it, so it's running for a couple of minutes outside before you leave. 

I'm not super worried about start up wear on an engine that operates below 2000 rpm most of the time anyway TBH. The 5 year warranty will last longer than I have the car regardless if any issues. 

You’re mixing up two different things. Yes, modern oils are fantastic at providing effective lubrication from cold. However, when cold they will still absorb exhaust gases that will make them acidic. It’s the reason why with most variable servicing routines the car will reduce the service interval if you do a lot of short journeys. And it’s yet another reason why buying a diesel car to do mostly short journeys is a false economy - you really are better off with the big petrol for that kind of usage - it gets its oil up to temperature much more quickly, at which point moisture it absorbed from the exhaust gas gets boiled off.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Kodiaq RS - Driving around town all week, 15 mins or so, then probably a longer drive at the weekend. Sometimes 30 mins, sometimes more.  20,000 kms (or 13k miles) and never had a regen light come on.

For the longer journeys and towing, the RS is great