small scratch on windscreen - polish it out? Glasweld/Superglass

hello, looking for some advice please.

Had something under the windscreen wiper that resulted in a light 25cm scratch directly in front of the driver line of sight (67 Superb).

The scratch is so light, it's very hard to spot from outside the car, it can be seen from inside the car depending on the lighting outside and it's very hard to take a picture of. It's a heated windscreen.

I've looked at a few options

1. asking insurance to replace the windscreen, but they'll probably not use an original part, and concerns about leaks if not fitted correctly

2. have someone polish it. I've asked Glasweld and Superglass and the people I spoke to, said they can do it. Concerns are: any "lens effect" after polishing and any impact on the ADAS. Even though the scratch isn't near the rear view mirror, they will likely polish half the windscreen. Since the scratch is so light, I'd expect there not to be an impact to structural rigidity.

3. Get it replaced at a Skoda main dealer.

Any thoughts on either option and anyone have any experience with Glasweld or Superglass?

Thank you.

Edited by ChaybobbTidbit

I think the scratch removal is the best idea. I'm prepared to bet that a non oem screen will have worse optics than a local scratch repair. 

Unless they polish the camera window locally I think you'll be OK on that front, but ask them to be sure! 

• Like 1

Skoda make cars, not windscreens.  Any screen fitted is likely to come from a manufacturer that also supplies Skoda.

There are not many car windscreen manufacturers.

1 hour ago, IJWS15 said:

Skoda make cars, not windscreens.  Any screen fitted is likely to come from a manufacturer that also supplies Skoda.

There are not many car windscreen manufacturers.

Agree with you, but the original is made by Saint Gobain, and when I called Autoglass, they said it would be an unspecified OEM but up to the same specs. Not very convinced. 

Different firms can make replacement parts, be it glass or anything else. My leaf's screen was also Saint Gobain, but the replacement was pilkington.

If its a really light scratch living with it may be the least stressful option! 

1 hour ago, UndertheRadar said:

Ceriglass and a glass polishing pad. 

Looks interesting.  I've not read the full thread but the write up on detailing world seemed positive.

• Like 1

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, as it your finger nail catches it, its unlikely to polish out

You'd need to polish the whole windscreen otherwise you'll end up with an area you can clearly see has been polished whenever its wet

Edited by Guest

If you replace, and have a camera (traffic assist, dynamic cruise control) the camera will need recalibrating. Autoglass say they can do it, but mine ended up going back the dealer three times with errors coming up. Insurance paid but it was a faff.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Brockysuperb said:

If you replace, and have a camera (traffic assist, dynamic cruise control) the camera will need recalibrating. Autoglass say they can do it, but mine ended up going back the dealer three times with errors coming up. Insurance paid but it was a faff.

Thanks. So the system can detect there's a problem after the glass has been replaced? 

8 hours ago, defiant said:

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, as it your finger nail catches it, its unlikely to polish out

You'd need to polish the whole windscreen otherwise you'll end up with an area you can clearly see has been polished whenever its wet

Thanks, can't feel it at all. 

I  had an insurance replacement of my non heated windscreen in Sept. No choice as a stone caused a 5" crack right to the screen edge.   No leaks and optically as good as the original.

But for a scratch I'd be tempted to try a repair rather than risk a new screen.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...