Anyone know a reliable tuner near Basingstoke who can do a EGR delete on my ECU?

Will be pulling the EGR and cooler off my 2007 Octavia Estate when I replace the head in a couple of weeks and was hoping someone might know a good place to go to have the ECU delete done. Only local place I found so far wants £250 + VAT, which seems like insanity to me. 

£99 will buy you an emulator/simulator which will make the ECU think you still have an EGR and it is fubctioning correctly.

I fitted one just before Christmas and it has made a big difference to drivability and especially to fuel economy.

It does seem to be doing more regens though or maybe its just coincidence that I have been aware of the last 2 when I have stopped, its was only say 250 miles between the last two that I was aware of and half of that was done on the autoroutes.

Does anyone know if  stopping the EGR from operating increases the frequency of regens? I was under the impression that the opposite was true but dont want to recommend an emulator/simulator to the OP if it has a downside.

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Does anyone know if  stopping the EGR from operating increases the frequency of regens? I was under the impression that the opposite was true but dont want to recommend an emulator/simulator to the OP if it has a downside.

If I remember correctly, I suggested to you several months ago that deleting the EGR would increase the ash load in the DPF.  Logically, it's what I would expect to happen if you're not recombusting any of the exhaust gases.  

I did a VCDS scan 5km after the last regen, the oil ash volume is unchanged at 0.09l from what it was 10K miles ago, I confess that the units used by VCDS never make any sense to me.

The estimated soot was 5 somethingorevers and the measured was minus 3.88 whatevers, I think the regen is triggered at 25.

I also checked the DPF differential pressure and it was 32 whatevers at the 2500rpm max the engine will rev to at standstill and it was 4 whatevers at tickover, I think its the same as last time, I really must start writing them down.

I usually find that the guys at Darkside Developments really know their stuff.  They're quite unequivocal about not removing the EGR and leaving the DPF in place.  https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-fap/

They wouldn't write nonsense like this if they really knew their stuff:

"If the EGR is not working effectively or blocked the amount of exhaust gases passing through the DPF will be increased potentially speeding up the DPF blocking."

The fact is that EGR is not for recombusting anything, nor cleaning up exhaust gases. It's a way of introducing incombustible gases into the cylinders to reduce excess oxygen and reduce peak temperatures. This in turn reduces the amount of nitrogen oxides formed in the combustion chambers, which is the whole point. Unfortunately, this also reduces combustion efficiency and increases soot production. 

Check with google if you don't believe me.

• Like 2