Variable Boot Floor

MRO46

Hello everyone,

I am loving my new Kamiq that I picked up in October.  I am wondering if there is an option to fit the variable boot floor after market and if so where can I buy the parts?

Also possibly looking at fitting the door edge protectors if they can be sourced after market.

Any info links, etc would be fantastic!

Thanks!

The variable boot floor is pretty basic in its design and simply sits on a couple or so "rests".  There is no hinging mechanism and no system which causes it to raise or lower; ii's all manual and if you want to use the full boot depth, then you life the variable floor out and stow it somewhere in the garage or house etc.

The "rests" would need fixing - I think they are screwed in - but that's all.   I imagine that the holes are already there for the screws behind the boot lining.

All in all, because of a back problem I need the higher boot floor, but it is rather basic.  I had imagined that it would be variable in such a way that you could raise it and lower, e,g, by some mechanical or hydraulic system rather than having to physically remove it.

I will be in the car later today, so I'll try to remember to take a photo of the "rests" and post them here later today.

Here we are.   There appear to be no fixings to the boot floor, so there are just the four fixings all old, two through each of the "rests", one at each side.

Max weight for the floor to take is 75kg if I remember right.

Hope these help.

Variable floor in place

In place.JPG

Variable floor raised

Raised.JPG

Overall view

Overall view.JPG

"Rest", one per side

Rest.JPG

Attachment method, two per rest

Fixing 1 of 2.JPG

Edited by Seasider

• 2 weeks later...

Seasider was on the best track, I have retrofitted 2 vario-floors to an Octavia MK2 and a Yeti and in both cases I used a second hand variofloor from scrapped MK1 Octavia Estates which most had fitted as standard in those days.

The width between the wheel arches is common to both Octavias and the Yeti and I am betting its the same in the Kamiq, you need to adjust the height of the side rails & fix them and if you are OCD like me change the rear profile to match the lofted curve of your vehicle, its all easy DIY woodwork.

For the Yeti you simply use 2 out of the 3 sections, if you search the forum you will find a thread that I started with photos but once you have the second hand floor & side supports in front of you it will be obvious what needs doing.

• 2 months later...

Along with everyone else. I've just bought a Kamiq. It's six months old. Im wanting to fit the variable boot floor. I've been told these cannot be retro fitted. Also I can't  buy it as a part. So I think the best option is to make one. 

I wonder if anyone with the boot floor could be so kind as to give me the measurements please. I'll update this post with photos should I get the measurements. TIA

Dave.....

34 minutes ago, Maleyale said:

Along with everyone else. I've just bought a Kamiq. It's six months old. Im wanting to fit the variable boot floor. I've been told these cannot be retro fitted. Also I can't  buy it as a part. So I think the best option is to make one. 

I wonder if anyone with the boot floor could be so kind as to give me the measurements please. I'll update this post with photos should I get the measurements. TIA

Dave.....

Yes, I'll measure it tomorrow, weather permitting.  The whole thing is quite basic and I had thought it would be something you could raise and lower, either through hydraulics or by a scissors mechanism.

Right, here are some measurements.  I've done them in Imperial as they are easier to read for me than metric.  I hope that doesn't pose any problems.

It would be sensible to check my measurements for yourself before you start measuring out or cutting materials.

The photos I included in the thread earlier on may help you understand the measurements.

The area you are wanting to cover is not square, so some fine tuning of shape will be needed.

Here we go.

Front to back: centre - 27 9/16ths; edge - 26 3/4s.

Side to side: front - 39 5/16ths; back 39 1/8th

There is a hinge 6 1/2 inches from the rear edge of the raised floor to allow you to lift it up for access to the space below.

For the height of your supports at the rear, measure up to the bottom of the lip behind the hatchback catch.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need any more info.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 06:01, MRO46 said:

I have got absolutely nowhere!

Ebay, VAG parts places, dealers.

I think I've hit a dead end... :(

I know that you said you had no luck sourcing the parts, but do you happen to have the required part numbers?

On 11/05/2021 at 16:10, Maleyale said:

Dave.....

Parts don't appear to be available in the UK.

I managed to find the part numbers on my own.

This seems to be this boot floor: https://www.oemvwshop.com/658861411-wr9-luggage-compartment-floor-for-vehicles-with-higher-cargo-platform-anthracite-p2335690/

Boot floor: 658861411WR9

left side: 6578645119B9

right side: 6578645129B9

bolt: N10751101

Just seen your post. I've not been able to have a go at making one yet as I'm ill. So I've followed the link which shows up as a boot floor for a scala. Do they use the same variable floor as the Kamiq?