Drl lights

The owners manual states:

Switching on daytime running lights
› Turn the ignition on and turn the light switch to position 0 or Auto.

Deactivating the daytime running lights
› Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel within 3 seconds of switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it downwards and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds.

Activating the daytime running lights
› Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel within 3 seconds of switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it upwards and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds.

On vehicles with an (maxidot) information display, the daytime running lights can also be activated or deactivated via the menu:
■ Settings
■ Lights & Vision

If that doesn't work, they may need enabling with VCDS or similar first :)

The car handbook for my car gives the lever/wait three seconds procedure and uses the word activation. However, there is another activation procedure before that for cars sold in the UK before DRLs became common.

This additional one time activation can be done through the diagnostic port by the garage, or using VCSD or using the Carista app and now some others.

I used the Carista app.

Yup, it requires both the garage (or anyone with a VCDS) to set the appropriate flag, then the indicator switch trick as the ignition is switched on. Be aware that the DRL bulbs have a fairly short life - the bulbs get a lot of vibration and the centre contact wears away. I regularly have to replace my near side one.

• 11 months later...
On 03/02/2021 at 23:18, avi4tor said:

the bulbs get a lot of vibration and the centre contact wears away. I regularly have to replace my near side one....

How do you get to the bulbs, the owner's handbook suggests removing/pulling out the small grill to the right or left of the DRL light cluster, but mine is impossible to pull out, and I don't want to damage it if it's not supposed to come out, is there a special knack or tool required..

When I take the car for a service, the mechanics have to get the bulb from behind "ie from in front of the wheel".............which is a bit of a kerfuffle just to change a lightbulb...

It's a 2010 Octavia...

mick...

Mine is a 2011 facelift Elegance.  I pop out the combined fog light / DRL unit by sliding a 1 inch wide paint stripper blade (a spatula from the kitchen might also suffice) down the in-board edge of the unit.  It connects with a hidden sprung catch, and you need to apply a little bit of pressure to the blade at the same time as applying slight sideways pressure to the front of the unit towards the outside of the car.

• Like 1

It really is a pain to release the lamp assembly. I tried all the tips from this forum unsuccessfully. In the end I put the wheels on full opposite lock (right lock for left hand bulb), removed a few of  the wheel arch cover fixing screws at the front and I could then get my hand behind on to the lamp. I have a post on here showing pictures.

Next time my car was in for service I asked them to remove the cover and free it up before replacing it.

Note that the DRL bulb is not a standard bulb but one that resists the vibrations in this location that can break the filament. 

You need a PY21W SLL long life bulb.