1.8 tsi petrol has issue

Hi all i have a 2011 octavia saloon 1.8 tsi petrol. The other day the eml was flashing and epc light came on along ran a scan with vcds and it said it was misfiring so i have just replaced the spark plugs cleared faults and started it but it still sounds like its misfiring although no faults are showing. I had to jump start it so not sure if i have another issue?

Has the cam chain tensioner gone and caused it to jump a tooth? There's an extensive thread on this. Might be worth not using it until it's been checked unless you are mechanically competent and can do it yourself. 

10 hours ago, Tam19 said:

Going to check that at the weekend its done 105000 miles i got the car with 83000 not sure if or when the belt was changed 

You have a timing chain not a belt. The misfiring is probably due to the cam tensioner failing, causing the timing to be out and possible top end damage. This depressing thread linked above will explain all, if your car has the same problem. Fingers crossed it’s a simple ignition fault. 

10 hours ago, Redboy said:

You have a timing chain not a belt. The misfiring is probably due to the cam tensioner failing, causing the timing to be out and possible top end damage. This depressing thread linked above will explain all, if your car has the same problem. Fingers crossed it’s a simple ignition fault. 

Had a look through that link nothing about an ignition fault that i saw. Basically what happened with me is used the car on sat night no issues jumped in sun morn got to the end of my street and got eml flashing then epc light on so nursed it home plugged in vcds and found misfire faults.  Couple days later i replaced spark plugs cleared the error but still not running 100%. Battery is low as i have had to jump start it due to it sitting. Will check tensioner and take it from there 

9 hours ago, Tam19 said:

Had a look through that link nothing about an ignition fault that i saw. Basically what happened with me is used the car on sat night no issues jumped in sun morn got to the end of my street and got eml flashing then epc light on so nursed it home plugged in vcds and found misfire faults.  Couple days later i replaced spark plugs cleared the error but still not running 100%. Battery is low as i have had to jump start it due to it sitting. Will check tensioner and take it from there 

What is the fault code number?

I had a misfire issue with my 2.0tsi and it turned out to be a coil pack. Have you checked the condition of them? Do you remember which cylinder was misfiring? Try swapping a couple of coil packs over and see if the misfire swaps to the other cylinder. That's what I did but I did have to drive it 100 yards up the road and back before the fault light came back on once cleared.

sorry for the delay in replying this is what i had on the scan.

4 Faults Found 
000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected 
               P0300 - 000 - 
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 168863 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2015.06.24
                    Time: 10:59:41
             Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1227 /min
                    Load: 55.7 %
                    Speed: 11.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 57.0°C
                    Temperature: 6.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 970.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.970 V
000771 - Cylinder 3 
               P0303 - 000 - Misfire Detected
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 10:59:41
             Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1227 /min
                    Load: 55.7 %
                    Speed: 11.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 6.0°C
                    Voltage: 13.970 V

004874 - Cylinder Disabling 
               P130A - 000 -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Time: 11:00:04

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 2071 /min
                    Load: 40.8 %
                    Speed: 31.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 4.0°C
                    Voltage: 13.843 V

000770 - Cylinder 2 
               P0302 - 000 - Misfire Detected
             Freeze Frame:
                    Mileage: 168864 km
                    Time: 11:01:50

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 740 /min
                    Load: 18.4 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 65.0°C
                    Temperature: 8.0°C
                    Voltage: 14.097 V

I'm no expert but is it likely 2 spark plugs would fail at the same time?

From research it likely points to a failing ignition coil, there does seem to be a way to test an IC with a multimeter but I don't know if it's 100% conclusive.

It could be several things. Faulty MAF sensor, blown head gasket, and if there's low compression things quite a few things can cause this.

You'd really have to test compression, vacuum leaks, test various components with a multimeter.

Edited by Aj77

Would of thought if it was the maf sensor it would show up as a fault code? Dont think a head gasket would go overnight when it was not getting used? 

Seems this can be a tricky thing to solve. Could be quite a few things, the ECM could be shutting down these 2 cylinders due to some fault. This thread has a similar problem but never gets a solution. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1340135

He changed battery, coil pack, did a compression test, changed spark plugs and a few other things. So it's hard to know where to start.

If your handy at DIY you could try a compression test, a fuel pressure test, check voltages resistance at various points.

You say the battery was flat have you tried fully charging it with a charger?

IMO the coil pack is the obvious problem but could be other things also. Make sure everything is firmly plugged in , it could be a loose wire or cable somewhere.

Another solution here. They replaced high pressure fuel pump.

https://www.motorverso.com/p0300/

Edited by Aj77

Check the battery voltage after leaving it standing overnight. Ideally, disconnected so you can confirm it's condition / standing voltage.  Octavia 2s and most new vehicles don't like low voltage.

I'd try buying a new coil pack or switching around coil packs, and see if the reported cylinders are the same or not.

What did the plug condition look like?

So took it for a drive and now i have the following error codes 

p0659

p2295

not sure if its because its been sitting for a week not getting used.

I found a topic with both the same errors, it turned out they cleaned the electrical connection to the pressure regulator on the high pressure fuel pump and that fixed these errors.

So it could well be some connection is needing cleaned and reseated. 

unless your able to do some testing your going to end up replacing a lot of parts.

Sounds like i have an issue in the fuse box of the engine compartment when the ignition is turned on but engine not running having had a prop chance to look at it yet

Check the fusebox relay that controls the pump regulator.   And as previous poster says, check / remove / reseat electrical connections to regulator, check for corrosion or damaged wiring, prove wiring, as far as possible.  

With some luck it might just be that.  The coil packs are a known failure point after a while, so no wasted money there, sounds like it has fixed the main problem?