Heated rear screen interfering with DAB

yoxi

Hi, new to this forum, so please bear with me!

End of last year bought Skoda Superb mk3 (2018) estate (executive). Great car, except when i press the heated rear screen on it will interfere / block the radio signal. Turn it off, wait 5 secs and its fine.

Only happens on non BBC stations (different DAB frequency) and also interferes with FM.

Took it to local main dealer under warranty who initially blamed it on radio stations but now state the heated screen is creating a magnetic field that interferes with a weak DAB signal. They are unable to sort it.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the answer??

Many thanks,

Yoxi

Not had quite the same problem, mine was on a Golf where the boot catch lifted up in reverse to expose the rear-view camera, and the DAB radio cut out while it was returning to its normal position. 

Can you see what happens (lockdown permitting) if you go somewhere that the other multiplexes have a stronger signal? 

Or could the earth connections in the tailgate be loose??

This was quite a common problem a few years ago on Audis - the heated rear screen was used as an antenna as well as a heater. To prevent the interference getting into the radio signal Audi fitted an in-line filter that separated power and radio signal - this filter would fail and produce exactly the symptoms OP describes.

IMHO worth checking if this combined heater/antenna arrangement is used on the Mk3 Superb and if it is then I would get the filter replaced.

Edited by PetrolDave

Thanks for the replies. In stronger signal areas its not noticeable. Where its weak National DAB is the issue.

Latest post (cheers petroldave) seems to fit in with whats happening and what I thought was likely. Just need to find out about an inline filter.

Thankd

I was having DAB reception problems on my Yeti.  In the end I installed a 3rd party windscreen antenna and the reception has been amazing!  Really pleased.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MY2JE6C/

Very easy to install, just need to scrape a little piant off the A pillar to get a good ground.

17 hours ago, yoxi said:

Cheers K6Chris, although i am really not wanting to scrape my paint just yet!

You only have to scrape the primer off the A pillar behind the interior trim!  No metalic paint gets hurt in the process!!