Windows, central locking, light clicking - door bellows wiring doesn't seem to solve it?!

StuW

Hello all,

I'm Stu, recently moved to Cornwall from Sheffield with my 58 Roomster. We love it, have had plenty of adventures and looking forward to many more (soon!). I have been lurking and reading on the forum for a long time but finally joined today to post this.

I have what seems a very common Roomster problem - the electric windows are stuck. I also have other problems - the driver's side rear door is stuck locked, and the drivers door only opens with the key (i.e. not on the central locking button or keyfob). There is also a clicking noise from the drivers' side front light, which may or may not be related.

In an effort to solve the windows problem I took the door off and found a couple of broken wires in the bellows. I was pleased. Soldered them back together and thought the problem would be solved, but nothing changed.

I thought I must have missed a break, so next I tested (with multimeter) continuity between the wires on the plastic door loom connector to the corresponding place inside the door (the whole door card is off so it is relatively easy to follow the wires). To my disappointment they all seem connected, so I don't understand why I am still having the same problems.

I would like to ask a couple of questions...

1. Do those with experience think the door lock and window problems are linked? And the light perhaps?

2. Is there anything wrong with my assumption that if the wires connect from the connector to their end points in the door, then the bellows wiring is fixed?

3. If so, what do I try next? Earth?

4. If earthing is a good thing to check, does anyone know the common colours Skoda use for earth?

Apologies if that's a long question, just wanted to be clear :)

Thanks very much for the help so far (via old posts) and thanks in advance for anything anyone can offer here!

Cheers,

Stu

Argh sorry all, I've posted this in Guides rather then in the general section. I can't see a delete function so I suppose I'm not allowed to delete it. If an admin person is able to do so could you please? Thanks and sorry, I will repost in the correct forum!

• 1 month later...

Hi Stu

I had a problem with my drivers door only opening with the key and not the fob.

Even though the red light on the fob came on it would not unlock.

I got some batteries for the fob from pound land and changed it and the fob started 

opening the drivers door again. That has happened twice to me so far.

To be honest I never tried the central locking switch in the car.

I have just posted about the windows and what I am going to do next.

I fitted a new loom in the drivers door because of broken wires when I first had the car.

Hope this helps can only say what has worked for me.

Rob