Octavia VRS Mk3 TSi Discs & Pads problem?

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice please guys, I had my discs and pads replaced on my VRS by my local garage about 4 weeks ago with Brembos all round. I’d say I’ve done roughly 600 miles since and although no problems experienced with braking, in fact they are incredibly sharp and responsive, I have noticed that 3 out of the 4 brake pads do not appear to be connecting with the inside area of the disc leaving a rust circle round the hubs. It didn’t do this before they were replaced.

Please see photos so you can see what I mean...

I’ve been back to the same garage who have advised me to return in 2-3 weeks when the pads have had more time/mileage to bed in. If they are still the same then the plan is to strip them down and see what is going on.

Has anybody encountered anything like this before with discs/pads? Is it normal? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

E237A46A-3FE0-4A7A-BC67-1BC31EA7D3BF.jpeg

4C276195-9231-402D-BD68-F1E36076DAB3.jpeg

BEF67452-3710-439E-9575-327288DFA20C.jpeg

EC983E28-03AA-4403-A786-36EA349392A5.jpeg

I doubt there is a problem as pads do not normally cover the whole of the disc surface, I have similar rust circles on my Golf R with OEM discs and pads. If the brakes are working fine I would not worry.

1 hour ago, Cappy899 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, Ecomatt I’m not sure if they greased the sliding pins or not - could this make a difference in your opinion? 

Regards

It can as it stops the caliper sliding shut and open properly. This is something I have always done every year as part of a brake service. Also have you had the brake fluid changed recently? It should be done after 3 years then every 2 years after.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

The front 340 TRW brakes are ok from facorty new . 

First sign is a slight delay in the wet.  Then wear out quick.

When you change them they are never as sharp or smooth, even with dealer brakes.

Its a clamp over style caliper which is on the large side for a one sided piston clamp set up , Flex and no real power on the outer clamp side . 

The sliders are normally ok . 

So ...

Get pads that make some dust which means they will wear in quick bed up producing a full face contact from new a lot faster. 

Pads that make dust wear out which is a lot better than disc cutting rock hard pads filled with metal.

" Oh I dont want dust on my new rims "lol ,  you will have to have some dust if you want good brakes.

To get a friction level you need one or both surfaces to wear out . 

No wear, no friction, simple,

Buy hi carbon discs and not cast iron drain lids ,

Get advice on pads, The last thing you want to hear is , " these are good they dont wear out"  

Pads are ment to wear out, end off . 

Cheap discs rust up quick and wear out .

The disc surface needs to be smooth and polished if the right pads and discs are fitted. 

On this brake the pad should just cover the outer edge and leave about 3mm on the inner , thats full face contact. 

If your discs look dull and scored with low pad wear , chances are your brakes are poor and you think they are ok . 

At 340mm  on a Skoda A3 Golf they should pull your shoulders forward if you go near them , yet still be smooth under a controled brake say from 60 down to 20 

Also  they should also put you false teeh on the dash if you hit them hard .

Mine do ,,,,,,,,,,,  I dont mean my teeth   lol

Andy 

• Love it! 1

8 hours ago, Andrew245 said:

Hi,

The front 340 TRW brakes are ok from facorty new . 

First sign is a slight delay in the wet.  Then wear out quick.

When you change them they are never as sharp or smooth, even with dealer brakes.

Its a clamp over style caliper which is on the large side for a one sided piston clamp set up , Flex and no real power on the outer clamp side . 

The sliders are normally ok . 

So ...

Get pads that make some dust which means they will wear in quick bed up producing a full face contact from new a lot faster. 

Pads that make dust wear out which is a lot better than disc cutting rock hard pads filled with metal.

" Oh I dont want dust on my new rims "lol ,  you will have to have some dust if you want good brakes.

To get a friction level you need one or both surfaces to wear out . 

No wear, no friction, simple,

Buy hi carbon discs and not cast iron drain lids ,

Get advice on pads, The last thing you want to hear is , " these are good they dont wear out"  

Pads are ment to wear out, end off . 

Cheap discs rust up quick and wear out .

The disc surface needs to be smooth and polished if the right pads and discs are fitted. 

On this brake the pad should just cover the outer edge and leave about 3mm on the inner , thats full face contact. 

If your discs look dull and scored with low pad wear , chances are your brakes are poor and you think they are ok . 

At 340mm  on a Skoda A3 Golf they should pull your shoulders forward if you go near them , yet still be smooth under a controled brake say from 60 down to 20 

Also  they should also put you false teeh on the dash if you hit them hard .

Mine do ,,,,,,,,,,,  I dont mean my teeth   lol

Andy 

That’s interesting to hear as I’ve experienced this delay in the wet on the motorway, a bit scary but giving the pedal a second pump sorted it out 

Hi Andrew245,

Thanks for your reply, I forgot to mention in my original post that the pads I have all round are Brembos as well. The braking power is very good overall no matter the weather and does pull your shoulders forward as you say 🙂, but the discs have still got the rust on the inner area as per the photos. I haven’t taken it back to the garage yet as I wanted to see if the pads would wear down and get rid of it. I’m no expert with this as you can probably tell! Would you suggest changing the pads?

Ecomatt my apologies for the lack of reply to your post, I don’t believe the brake fluid has been changed, it is a 66 plate and only had 12700 miles on it when I bought it in July 2019. It’s done just over 25500 now...I don’t know if age or mileage makes a difference?

Regards

Nick