Engine covers Kamiq SE 1.0 TSI 110 DSG

fabill

Our Kamiq SE 1.0 TSI 110PS DSG was delivered on Friday 12th March.

I did the usual checks for damage and compliance with the spec we ordered. Other than the torch, which I later discovered in here Skoda had discontinued, all seemed in order.

Today, I gave a guided tour to a couple of my golfing buddies. When it came to viewing under the bonnet one of them commented right away on something I had overlooked - an engine cover. There is a good reason why I overlooked; there's no engine cover on our Kamiq.

On arriving home I looked at lots of images of the 110 engine; not only in the Kamiq but in other VW group models, all of which showed not just one but two engine covers on that engine.   

Tomorrow, I'll go to our local Skoda dealership and see if it has a newly arrived Kamiq with 110 engine. Hopefully that'll clarify the situation.  

In the meantime can anyone here shed some light on the matter?   

On closer examination of the Goolge'd pics I can see that one of the 'covers' is in fact the air box. The other is a cover over the coil pack. 

I've just popped out and had a look under the bonnet of our Kamiq and the airbox on our engine is to the rhs of the engine, not on the top, as in the Google pics. So, that's a design change.

But there is nothing covering the top of the engine, The coil packs would have no protection should there be an ingress of water.

Anyway, hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow.         

Previous as per Google pic on another Kamiq.

Skoda Kamiq – Road Test – Wheels Alive

Here's a pic of the configuration on our Kamiq. 

Find A Used Grey ŠKODA Octavia Hatchback Special Edition 1.0 TSI SE First  5dr in Ipswich : ŠKODA UK

The air intake vents for the cabin and the washer nozzles are also different in the picture of your car, and there doesn't seem to be the bonnet catch handle dip near the front either.

So it's more than just the engine configuration?

They also got rid of the ventilated glove box,i guess in order to reduce production costs,but the car's price stays the same.

Tbh it feels a bit annoying ,you go to the showroom see the car ,you order it and by the time you get it,it has no engine cover,no ventilated glove box,no removable light.

I wonder if the engine noise is stronger inside the car ,since there is no cover on it.

Had a loan 1.0tsi DSG SE spec Kamiq whilst my Octavia was being serviced. Engine was pretty good and not much noise, but the stop/start vibrated like hell compared to my Octavia which is hardly noticeable. Twice it kicked in when the car was not to temperature, and felt like it was going to stall when pulling away. Of course you cannot dip the clutch and rev on an Auto, so felt uncomfortable with this. But was surprised by the vibration on start probably due to the 3 cylinders.

Here is are some pics from a brand new 21 plate Kamiq. 1.0TSI SE. 

No different from yours @fabill.

Can also confirm that the boot light is a shocking single light and no torch options.

IMG_7460.jpeg

Pretty poor boot light.

IMG_7461.jpeg

Blanked housing where the torch used to be.

IMG_7462.jpeg

Edited by FrankNicklin

Can someone confirm the pic in the first post with the airbox and cover in place is of a Kamiq engine bay?

As for the other pic. I found it on Google and it might well be of an Octavia. However, for the purposes of the subject, engine covers, it makes the point. - there are no covers over the engine.  

Latest.

Took these pics of our Kamiq this morning. 

As you can see has no engine covers. The coil packs and what I assume at the front of the pic is the MAF are totally exposed.

A few years  ago I had an engine fire in a 2007 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI which I was informed was as a result of water ingress to the coil pack cores during engine bay valeting  - numpties used a power washer. Okay, that's not likely to happen with our new Kamiq but accidents happen and in the absence of a cover there's noting to stop a repeat of ingress to the cores. Of course, modern design may have remedied this. Here's hoping.

Re Nahkri's post.

Isn't it typical of the bean counters?

Noise? Our previous car was a 2018 Audi A3, S-line Saloon with the 1.0L 115 engine, DSG. Can't say there's any discernible difference in noise inside the car between that and the Kamiq. I can't comment on Kamiq with or without engine covers fitted.

To repeat the question I asked at the top:  Can someone confirm the pic in the first post with the airbox and cover in place is of a Kamiq engine bay?

IMG_20210316_085245172.jpg

IMG_20210316_085253819_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Thanks, FrankNicklin.

Didn't spot your post whilst I was typing my previous post. 

You've saved me a journey. 

Unrelated to thread.

Dealer is sending me a torch and a USB-C adapter FOC. The latter I can understand and appreciate, the former? There's no mounting.     

1 minute ago, fabill said:

Thanks, FrankNicklin.

Didn't spot your post whilst I was typing my previous post. 

You've saved me a journey. 

Unrelated to thread.

Dealer is sending me a torch and a USB-C adapter FOC. The latter I can understand and appreciate, the former? There's no mounting.     

Ask the dealer to fit the torch for you, that should be fun to watch.

This is how the 1.0 tsi looked originally on the kamiq,from what i can see the engine cover also served as the airfilter box.

In the newer models they moved the airfilterbox to the lower right side of the engine bay,leaving the engine exposed.

Maybe it's cheaper or easier to service this way.

Skoda-Kamiq-galeria-17.jpg

The BY21 has the New Modified Engine does not come with a engine cover its the same layout as the New Octavia coil packs are water tight here is some pictures of my November 2019 1.0l sel the coil packs are still  exposed even with the cover.  Plus 12 volt socket and torch. 

20210316_121947.jpg

20210316_121859.jpg

20210316_121809.jpg

20210316_121701.jpg

20210316_121542.jpg

20210316_121622.jpg

20210316_121633.jpg

28 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

The BY21 has the New Modified Engine does not come with a engine cover its the same layout as the New Octavia coil packs are water tight 

Attached is picture from my Kamiq with a manual gearbox. It's a MY21 and 70 plate as I've got a the boot light or the cooled glove box.

Maybe it's the DSG that affects the engine layout?

20210316_123117.jpg

That should have been I've not got the boot light!

8 minutes ago, BenNW said:

Attached is picture from my Kamiq with a manual gearbox. It's a MY21 and 70 plate as I've got a the boot light or the cooled glove box.

Maybe it's the DSG that affects the engine layout?

That should have been I've not got the boot light!

My21 depends on build date 70 plate could be my20 Mine was built 01/10/2019 as printed on the engine cover 

Edited by skoda1982

1 minute ago, skoda1982 said:

My21 depends on build date 70 plate could be my20

I've got the new two spoke wheel too which I understood to be part of the MY21 build?

16 minutes ago, BenNW said:

I've got the new two spoke wheel too which I understood to be part of the MY21 build?

8 minutes ago, BenNW said:

The date on my engine is 17/09/2020

New Engine was fitted after your date I think it was from November/December 2020. MY21 starts June 20 to June 21 and they add and delete specs

Edited by skoda1982

I think the cars are MY2020 with the 115 bhp engine and the engine covers and the ‘cover less’ engine’s are MY 2021 with the 110 bhp engines.Exactly the same with the Aronas.

So the newer produced models,gained the steering wheel from the octavia,but lost the engine cover,cooled glovebox,the torch in the boot and i believe those 2 pockets on the side of the front seats are gone too.

Is there something else gone?

There are also some deletions within the spec.

Main one I'm aware of is the current SE L models have Blind Spot monitoring as a paid extra, whereas it was standard till around November 2020 I think.