Buying Guide for 2.0 TDi Superb?

Hi,

The Superb SEL Executive look like a good value buy at the moment with up to around 50,000 miles on them, so as I am looking to replace my current car these are up on the shortlist as on paper they tick many boxes.  Below I've set out some queries which I hope someone might be able to help answer.

Is there a buying guide on the internet somewhere for the third generation Superb?

I would probably be going with the 2.0 TDi and most likely in 150 guise.  I have read the 150 performs better in the mid range than the 190 - is this true?

I have also read about people finding a throttle lag frustrating.  Is this only affecting the DSG models or does it include the manual?

How bad are the reported suspension squeaks and creaks, and are there any bushes prone to failure or wearing out at particular age/mileages?

Thanks!

The 150 doesn’t feel short changed compared to the 190 in most scenarios so I wouldn’t worry about having a 150 if a 190 isn’t available. There can be some suspension clunks from the front which can be the top mounts but it’s not terribly widespread. I wouldn’t say my car has any noticeable throttle lag but you can code around that or use a DTUK pedal box to eliminate it. 

49 minutes ago, MrRich said:

Hi,

Hoping anyone is able to help?

Thanks!

i have only test driven one sel executive and the rear brake discs were shot to bits, i believe its a common  fault with the the superb, it had only done 36k as well so dont foreget to shine a torch on those discs, and for suspension noises the only way is to have a proper test drive , and that jerkiness you mention is only the dsg, the manual gearbox is smooth as silk , anythink with 50k on the clock will have to have a proper dealer history with a dsg service if its an auto, i am still looking for one myself its not easy there always miles away from me, and with dealers being closed its frustrating.

The rear disc issue is one of two things;

1) there is a lip around the edge of the disc that isn’t part of the braking surface, this can rust, it’s common on most VAG cars.

2) the ACC uses the rear brakes a bit more than the front most of the time so if you use ACC a lot you will go through rear discs quicker than you might expect. 

Worth keeping an eye on for sure.

I'm not sure if this is comparable but I gave a 2017 SE Tech, dsg. 150 is fine. I'm sure 190 is even nicer but I don't feel short changed. I've had numerous 2.0d 148bhp diesels and I don't feel short changed by this one.

No acceleration lag as far as I'm concerned. This isn't an F1 car, it's a big heavy family mile muncher. Once you accept that and drive accordingly all is well.

No suspension issues for me.

All in all, 68k miles, nearly 4 yrs, best car I've had pound for pound. Any minor details people want to pick on have to be weighed up by what you are paying. An Audi may be better insulated but a Vauxhall wont be. A Mercedes may have softer materials but a Mazda wont. Do you see where I'm going with this?

It's a very good car, don't over analyse. 

20 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

1) there is a lip around the edge of the disc that isn’t part of the braking surface, this can rust, it’s common on most VAG cars.

2) the ACC uses the rear brakes a bit more than the front most of the time so if you use ACC a lot you will go through rear discs quicker than you might expect. 

do you mean adaptive cruise control? 

21 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

That might explain why my rear pads are down to around 3mm then at 27k miles and 3 years. I’ve got the discs and pads ready but decided to let my local independent fit them rather than take a risk myself at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Yeah, ACC is the abbreviation for adaptive cruise.

do you know how using cruise  control affects the rear brakes more than normal?  i can imagine using hill hold all the time might cause it but i am just guessing. 

32 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s quite a doddle with VCDS to unwind the handbrake in the caliper tbf but yeah that’ll probably be why.

Yeah that part isn’t a problem, I did look at it last week and found I didn’t have the required sockets for the callipers  (since purchased) but also because I had the brake fluid change done recently I know that will overflow when the piston is pushed back and it’s just another level of hassle I don’t want to worry about when I’m 10 miles from the nearest garage!

Also the Erwin procedure doesn’t mention removing the calliper carriers (pretty sure they’d need to come off for the discs) but they require replacement bolts if removed so I’d rather let my trusted independent do it this time and maybe I’ll do the fronts myself when the time comes. I’ve done discs and pads before but I remember it being a pain on the rears while the fronts were easy...

anyway, back to topic!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Because it uses the rear brakes to slow the car down rather than regular cruise or your foot that you disengage and let the car coast.

thanks for that info sasha, so basically only use acc on motorway long journeys, if you want to prolong the life of your discs.