Help me out - trip meter?

44 minutes ago, Dave-P said:

Haha, just picked up on this thread.

I've had 2 diesel Octavia Estates and have just picked up my third,  a 2022 petrol model. My distress at the changes for the worse is such that I've re-connected with the Briskoda community and I can see that I am not alone. That gives me a sense of relief. New and digital does not mean better, IMHO!

As has been said, previously resetting the trip meter was a quick one-push analogue action and not a multi-touch screen search - though I've yet to see if the suggestions actually work.

It's the little things that are annoying: an expensive enough motor, but now without first aid kit or warning triangle, and nowhere to stow them when I add them. The stowage pods in the rear are gone - I had mine quite full with oil, tie-straps, spares bulbs, etc. Now there's nowhere to stow stuff 🙄 

I also thought that electric fold-in door mirrors would be standard at this price point, but no! 

Most surprisingly is that the 1.5 petrol engine lacks the punch of the 1.4 Seat I drove recently. Compared to my 2.0 diesel it's rather disappointing 😒 My fault for accepting a very short test drive (in traffic) coz it was very low on fuel. I kinda thought "it's another Octavia, it'll be fine..." More fool me!

Welcome back to the forums; a shame you felt the need...

You don't mention which model of Octavia Mk4 you have other than 1.5 petrol; nor how new it is.

I have the 1.5 Psi SEL 1st Ed. estate which does indeed have a holder for the warning triangle. It's on the left side of the boot, high up below the window. AIUI, the hatch is in a different location but I can't remember exactly where.

Also, under the boot floor in mine is ample space for oil, screen cleaner, foot pump, cloths, and a whole load more junk I find myself carrying around all along with the tyre inflator kit (I don't have the spare wheel option). I was genuinely surprised how my stuff I can carry around without anything in the boot.

As regards the comparison with a 1.4 Seat I reckon there is a a few of things going on there. Firstly, Seat tend to be more of a drivers car and are much more responsive to the throttle; and secondly I reckon the 1.5tsi is configured more for economy and low emissions. My previous car was a 1.4 Superb mk2 -125ps I think so less powerful but it did pull better form low rpm. Even now with nigh on 30k miles on my Octavia it doesn't have the low-rev pull of the Superb. Is it a problem? No. Just that at some roundabouts I drop to 2nd rather be lazy and staying in 3rd. I'm not at all surprised you notice a big difference to you 2.0 diesel (esp. low rpm pull).

If yours is anything like mine, you should be very pleased with the fuel consumption; I'm getting around 60mpg on long motorway/major road runs which is within 5% of my 1.6tdi Octavia mk2 I had a few years back.

You'll soon get used to the infotainment system and touch screen stuff you use regularly. The steering wheel buttons are very useful as well as voice control if it's on your model.

Hope you grow to enjoy your new car as much as I do mine.

Hi Steve, thanks for the swift reply 👍

The new one is an estate SE 1.5 TSI 150, and I had thought/hoped that the 150ps motor would be a bit livelier than my 2.0 TDi  110hp diesel. So yes, though I was a fuel-miserly driver getting close to 70 mpg on long steady runs, I do miss the punch that the diesel had from lower revs. The new one might deliver better if I rev it, but at the expense of fuel economy... On yesterdays drive home with it, it seemed like it will rev but without much happening - a bit like my A2 licence friendly Royal Enfield (it'll do what you need, but not in a sporty manner 😁).

As for space, I had the 'spare wheel' recess to fill on the old'un but the newbie came with an actual spare wheel and there's little spare space around it. There is stowage to the sides, but I'll need to find some bags that fit behind the low barriers that I can pack all my stuff into. Niggles, but the the previous lockers with a cover panel were useful and neat.

It's a shiny (almost) new car that cost me double what I've previously spent but so far I'm not feeling the love 😒

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Hmmm there is a ton of space in the boot to stash stuff. On the left and right side and under the boot liner.

image.thumb.png.37f3579761dd32d8ce7d1560db62624d.png

Storage for warning triangle
image.thumb.png.8eb5a8ce230c21224cd18123fda919b9.png

Thanks UltraRunner, but as you may now have read, mine has come with an actual spare wheel, so the tons of space I used to have is no longer there. I do admit that when I bought the previous car I promised I'd dump the tyre sealant and get a real spare wheel, but never did and filled the space with stuff - stuff that I now can't take 🤣

There's no F/A kt or triangle, but I did get a brolly... As for the side stowage, I do need to find bags etc to pack all the small bits'n'bobs into so they can sit behind the low barriers there. 

Then go for a long calm drive.

• Like 1

I understand. Strange Did you buy a used one? Could be previous owner nicked some stuff which should stay in the car.  FA and a warning triangle are a must.

About the space...I also have an actual spare tire in the boot. There is some space around the tire to stash small things. And also in the compartment above the tire there is some space to stash smaller things. You can also use the netting system. 

• Like 1