Used Skoda Warranty - Mileage Restrictions?

Dale_Stevens

Are there mileage restrictions with Skoda warranty? Does say a 40k male service need to be carried out before 40k miles to preserve the warranty?

My 2017 Yeti came with two years Used Skoda Warranty and is now due its 4 year/40k mile service. We recently had to use it for an unexpected long distance journey, adding quite a few more miles than otherwise expected, taking it very close to 40k miles. Does the service need to be carried out before it reaches 40k miles?

The T&C.s have been brought up lots in the past.   They say 'in accordance with manufacturers recommendations'. Not schedule.  Then 'Manufacturers specifications'.  Which is good is Skoda were clear of 'recommendationd' and 'specifications'.    Strange thing is that you can buy a Skoda approved used car' with a 1 or 2 year warranty that has not been serviced to Skoda recommendations or specifications.     DSG or Haldex service or brake fluid change not carried out at the recommended intervals.    Skoda service plans and servicing of fleet vehicles might mean that recommendations or specifications on mile / time serviced were not adhered to. 

It very much depends on the particular warranty that the car has and when it was put in place, you need to refer to the t&c of the particular cover that was applied.

There are many variants, manufacturer warranty, dealer warranty, approved used warranty, extended warranty, maybe even aftermarket warranty.

The skoda warranties get t&cs updated every few months so you need to dig out original t&cs

I have just taken out an extended warranty (all component cover through skoda financial services) and on reading its specific t&cs it appears to have some ambitious get out clauses which I have highlighted below.

Servicing must be carried out in accordance with vehicle 
manufacturer recommendations. Genuine ŠKODA components, oils and other fluids or components, oils and other fluids of equivalent specification and matching quality must be used. Failure to keep your vehicle serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s service schedule will void the warranty. 

You must keep all servicing receipts and invoices. We will be 
entitled to check that your vehicle has been serviced regularly and may ask to see these in the unlikely event that the condition of your vehicle does not appear to correspond with your vehicle service schedule.

Not sure if that is entirely legal, how can a late oil change void all the warranty, e.g. sure if my engine blows up but what if my wiper motor stopped working?

Since I took it out a fortnight ago, the t&cs have been revised yet again for policies taken out after April 1.

The other issue is that you can choose between fixed and variable interval services, can be 2yr/20,000 mile, 2yr/18600 miles, 1yr/10000 miles, 1yr/9400 miles......which is the manufacturer's service schedule they have in mind?

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

An important one for those with Haldex is Skoda and poor Recommendations' or specifications.     The service schedule when you could get one from Skoda or Dealership staff were sometimes given as 4 years. Some said 40,000 miles then VW started saying at 3 years and no miles given.   Still the Haldex done at 3 years might be done without the pump removed and cleaned, screen cleaned.    Yet the car might have FMDSH and the warranty should not be void on the Haldex. 

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

image.png.65f7c44bd5ab13dcb2a071699f2026fd.png

If that 500 mile rule applies, then I should be ok, assuming I can get it serviced in the next 2 weeks.

It came with one year Skoda used car warranty as I purchased it from a Skoda dealer. I then took out VW finance which upon the payment of £79 gave an additional years warranty, and two years servicing, though I expect that just applies to the oil/inspection part of the service.

• Like 1

That is the rub.   First is that Fixed Service intervals.  Then the service done should be because that is required to Manufacturers recommendations'  and Specifications.   Yet if the DSG or Haldex service is due that will be 'an extra cost' as would be brake fluid, spark plugs or fuel filter.  If the Dealership staff at the service desk staff forget to tell owners they are required then the owner is not meeting the terms in the Warranty.     Often car owners are not made aware of the likes of DSG or Haldex service being due.   PS.  When the car had long life oil the service interval can be variable.   But when fixed it is showing at 9,400 miles.    Some of us say 9,400 miles and not just 10,000 miles.  Reason being 500 miles over 9,400 miles is still within 10,000 miles.  Going by 10,000 intervals then not able to get a service booked for weeks ahead then has it going well over in miles for some.   Same really with variable.  I had a Motability car that could not get booked for the first major oil change and had covered 22,000 miles before the first oil change.

Edited by e-Roottoot

With regards to what is required for the 4 year/40k mile service, I'm working from this diagram. It had already had the 3 yr Haldex service done before I bought it, though this would have been just oil change. I had the Haldex pump removed, cleaned and new oil at a local VAG garage recently.....

1654443585_ServiceSchedulecopy.jpg.681c07fd8973063f85d2e6e2cb747215.jpg

• Like 1

Skoda UK talk about 10,000 mile intervals, but the Manufacturer works in 15,000 km intervals which on the car's service indicators works out at 9400 or 9300 miles depending on model, I've see both after reset.

The point being 10,000-9400=600 mile difference minimum. Where the warranty quoted earlier allowed only 500 miles.

So which is used for warranty purposes?

And some people would be better off on variable 18,600/2 year intervals to stop breaching that condition.

• Like 1

Skoda, SEAT, Audi & VW can show that Variable / Flexible servicing as being from 18,000-20,000 miles, 

and a Motability owned SEAT might be handed over showing the first service due at 20,000 miles. The reminder on the car might start showing at 18,500 or even later.

Fixed with VW on here @ 9,300.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules

Here they are calling them 'schedules' and not 'Manufacturers Recommendations',  as far as intervals.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Just for information, the fixed interval year used to be 372 days on the service indicator, it is now 365 days on my MY18 Superb (checked after every service) I suppose for dealers that is "simply simple and a little bit more money clever"

Got it booked in for next week.

When I bought the Yeti 2nd hand last year I put a small amount on VW Finance (which I withdrew from the following day) which allowed me to but their  £79 service plan, which covers the next two services. This covers the normal part of the service, but not the extended part needed for the 40k mile service. I just have to pay for the DSG oil change £220, and air con service £115.

They mentioned there's a newer type of air con service which gives a better and more efficient air con, and more environmentally friendly, Anyone know anything about this?

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 40k mile service yesterday, including the DGS and aircon. 

Just had an embarrassing moment on the phone with the dealer. Looking at the recommended service schedule it states the spark plugs should be changed. I realised that nowhere on my paperwork did it refer to having this work done. I got straight on the phone to them to ask about it, and their reply was "Your car's a diesel Sir".

I tried to cover my embarrassment by saying that I wondered if the glow plugs counted, but I think they saw straight through me.

• Haha 2
  • Groan 1

I thought only I could do things like that!

And you have a service schedule?  Pure luxury.  They are spoiling you.

They more or less threw the car at me one day before first lockdown.

I did have to take it back between lockdowns so they could make the air-con work (seemed like a good idea)

But I have hardly any paperwork and a bonnet that needs a heck of a lot of persuasion to open.

It's set to variable service schedule - did you get a choice?

Anyway, most things seem to work, and I'm not paying 140 quid for a drop of oil and a filter until the clever machine tells me to. 

(And then, reluctantly)

But I like your style!

46 minutes ago, Trogglet said:

I thought only I could do things like that!

And you have a service schedule?  Pure luxury.  They are spoiling you.

They more or less threw the car at me one day before first lockdown.

I did have to take it back between lockdowns so they could make the air-con work (seemed like a good idea)

But I have hardly any paperwork and a bonnet that needs a heck of a lot of persuasion to open.

It's set to variable service schedule - did you get a choice?

Anyway, most things seem to work, and I'm not paying 140 quid for a drop of oil and a filter until the clever machine tells me to. 

(And then, reluctantly)

But I like your style!

The service schedule I was referring to was just the one below.

I paid a small amount of my Yeti purchase price on VW Finance, and paid £79 for a two year service plan. I then backed out of the finance arrangement.

I expected the service plan to come with lots of exclusions, effectively making it worthless, but to my surprise it covered the full 40k mile standard service (but not the DSG or aircon)

2085744580_ServiceSchedulecopy.jpg.f5ddc89fdefc56bb035fc96d1becda4f.jpg

Thanks, Dale.

Now I understand where I went wrong - as you say, a small amount on finance.

Of course, and I was too chicken to put the whole lot on in case, for some reason, I couldn't back out.

But with a small amount, it wouldn't matter anyway.  Well done.

Just now, Trogglet said:

Thanks, Dale.

Now I understand where I went wrong - as you say, a small amount on finance.

Of course, and I was too chicken to put the whole lot on in case, for some reason, I couldn't back out.

But with a small amount, it wouldn't matter anyway.  Well done.

I put £3k on their finance, and withdrew from it a couple of days later, settling with a pound or two in interest. Doing that gave me an additional years Skoda Used Car Warranty, and allowed me to buy the £79 service plan.

I learnt about it on here.

Just now, Trogglet said:

I knew it, should have spoken to you earlier!

Cheers.....

It's only on forums like these that you discover such things, I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. The salesman certainly didn't suggest it. Not sure if they get any commission, or lose commission when customers withdraw from it?

It's all a bit weird.

I got mine new because it was cheaper than getting one a year old, which is what I had intended.

(The plan being to then keep it forever. or almost forever)

My son got a new Golf, new for the same reason.  He got his via an online agent, who did suggest the "temporary" agreement.

I don't think my salesman at the dealers was at all used to folk actually paying for cars rather than lease or whatever it is that people do.

In fact he seemed almost amused.  I could sense that everything was going a bit pear-shaped, he just wanted to shift it in any way possible.

Commission?   I shall make enquiries and get back to you......