How many have rejected or are in the process of rejecting?

To my knowledge, I am the 4th person on here that has completed the rejection and had a refund. How many more are there who have pulled the plug or are going to do so?

A quick look on autotrader sees alot of mk 4  FE on sale considering they are only a year old. 

Should Skoda be selling the rejected cars knowing they are littered with faults? It seems horrendous that sales are going ahead considering dealerships are aware of all the issues.

Skoda must be losing big money on this car at the moment. This may well be why calls and news from Kate Laws etc are hard to get.

I am (supposedly) in the process of rejecting, having requested this three weeks ago.

No progress made.

Think I will be looking to expedite this myself.

1 hour ago, Gax said:

I am (supposedly) in the process of rejecting, having requested this three weeks ago.

No progress made.

Think I will be looking to expedite this myself.

Try the very unsubtle hint

Put both keys on salesman desk, and ask if they would like your debit card to process the refund.  

Remember your contract with dealership is legally unconnected to the dealerships contract / agreements with Skoda, so waffling that they are waiting for Skoda doesn’t delay your rejection process, as 2 independent processes, and yours can be completed even if they haven’t talked to Skoda.

One other thing a rejection does not require a non-disclosure (gagging) agreement so if they suggest one, they are trying it on.

Good Luck

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 10:38, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

To my knowledge, I am the 4th person on here that has completed the rejection and had a refund. How many more are there who have pulled the plug or are going to do so?

A quick look on autotrader sees alot of mk 4  FE on sale considering they are only a year old. 

Should Skoda be selling the rejected cars knowing they are littered with faults? It seems horrendous that sales are going ahead considering dealerships are aware of all the issues.

Skoda must be losing big money on this car at the moment. This may well be why calls and news from Kate Laws etc are hard to get.

Demos, courtesy cars and sales team vehicles. 

8 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Sure. I felt there was an implication that the vast majority were rejected. I’m just saying they won’t be. 

There's too many for me not to be suspicious - same with the new Golf.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Berisford said:

There's too many for me not to be suspicious - same with the new Golf.

There are over 200 mk4 Octavia First Editions for re-sale on autotrader, 

must be a reason why so many remain unsold without anyone wanting them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

There are over 200 mk4 Octavia First Editions for re-sale on autotrader, 

must be a reason why so many remain unsold without anyone wanting them

I think it's also down their their price.

I bought on Feb 27th, a brand new FE SEL estate with 5y manufacturer warranty for cheaper than many of the used one. It was a great deal and it's a good car. If I reject it, I will lose lots of money finding an equivalent bargain...

1 hour ago, Coume said:

I think it's also down their their price.

I bought on Feb 27th, a brand new FE SEL estate with 5y manufacturer warranty for cheaper than many of the used one. It was a great deal and it's a good car. If I reject it, I will lose lots of money finding an equivalent bargain...

Hi @Coume Is you car still at the dealers waiting for the fabled kph/mph fix?  I recall that it went in on the 18th March..

1 minute ago, Ajdude said:

Hi @Coume Is you car still at the dealers waiting for the fabled kph/mph fix?  I recall that it went in on the 18th March..

morning, Yes, it is. Still putting Miles on the courtesy FE Mk4 (saloon) for the time being. Zero communication by when it will get fixed but not pushing hard as I have a courtesy car of equivalent standing.

19 minutes ago, Coume said:

morning, Yes, it is. Still putting Miles on the courtesy FE Mk4 (saloon) for the time being. Zero communication by when it will get fixed but not pushing hard as I have a courtesy car of equivalent standing.

Thankyou.  I’m in a similar situation. Although I’ve just asked if they would swap out my hire car for one with a tow-bar as i need one.  I’ve a feeling it’s going to be a few months yet before they find a fix or admit defeat.   

Hi guys just stumbled upon is topic 

is it just the first edition sel that has all the issues?
What are the issues and has there been any offers of a solution from the dealers or Skoda?

2 hours ago, Col46 said:

Hi guys just stumbled upon is topic 

is it just the first edition sel that has all the issues?
What are the issues and has there been any offers of a solution from the dealers or Skoda?

As far we can see some first edition models have certain issues with respect to software glitches more so than later models.  It seems that even the later builds have some software glitches but not as severe or often.   It would also seem the stimulus for action was the result of the inability to switch between mph and kmh on the speedometer and the SatNav stuck on km.  There may be legal requirement for the first issue, which is presumably why Skoda UK are spending a small fortune on hire cars for those owners impacted.

So check your Satnav and see if you can change you speedo to kmh and that's the big clue.

So far, there is no fix on the horizon despite the issue being raised as far back as September 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajdude said:

So far, there is no fix on the horizon despite the issue being raised as far back as September 2020.

I don't believe the issue had been escalated to factory nor had the legality of it been understood by Skoda UK until March 21.

Edited by Coume

On 07/05/2021 at 10:38, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

To my knowledge, I am the 4th person on here that has completed the rejection and had a refund.

Well done! Are you able to describe the steps in the rejection/refund process?

2 hours ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

You need to write to the dealer with a list of faults and explain that you would like to reject. The dealer can then look into this and will either agree or refuse. If it is within the first 30 days l, you are entitled to a full refund (you have to have reported the fault in this time). If aftern30 days you are entitled to a refund minus milage or a replacement vehicle. Key thing is to get the letter stating the issues to the dealer ASAP.

8 hours ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

You need to write to the dealer with a list of faults and explain that you would like to reject. The dealer can then look into this and will either agree or refuse. If it is within the first 30 days l, you are entitled to a full refund (you have to have reported the fault in this time). If aftern30 days you are entitled to a refund minus milage or a replacement vehicle. Key thing is to get the letter stating the issues to the dealer ASAP.

Also the selling dealer has a chance to rectify the faults listed, one attempt, not multiple goes at trying to fix.  If they can’t sort the problem (properly, not some partial fix) then you can reject.  They have no right to delay rejection, don’t need to consult Skoda etc, and should make repayment straight away (although expect some delaying tactic waffle from some dealers, ignore it, the law is clear, they had chance to fix, if they didn’t, it’s their problem now).

Because the dealer will not be able to fix some faults (where the updated software does not yet exist etc), easy to reject.  How the dealer subsequently negotiates with Skoda is not your problem (they have their own commercial contract and resolution clauses).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Thanks, chaps - very helpful.

Hi. Are you having difficulties with yours that  may wish to reject? I only ask because I was thinking of swapping my 1.5 SEL first edition for the iV but not if it has similar or different issues.  Thanks. 

No, no - so far very happy with mine, but I've cut and pasted the replies just in case I need the info in future and will put them in my motoring "Know Your Rights" file. I bought a new Octavia L&K estate in 2002 and a 2.0TDI estate in 2009 - and now this iV. I wanted a PHEV as a stepping stone to a full EV in probably 3-5 years time. After 2 months of ownership the negative I have to report is that it is over-featured. The Infotainment system is a nightmare of complexity, so I have learnt to ignore most of it and just let the car do what it wants to do. SatNav is not good and I will revert to my Garmin. However, the ride and comfort are both excellent. Charging time has reduced now to 5 hours from empty. Fuel costs as follows :

Electricity

Full charge = 5 hours

Smart meter showed 37p/hr during this time

5 hours x 37p = £1.85 to charge car

Full charge gives c.30 miles

£1.85 ÷ 30 = 6.2p per mile

Petrol

On April 26 a litre of Premium = £1.24

1.24 x 4.54 (litres in a gallon) = £5.63 per gallon

Consumption during 77ml trip  = 50.4mpg

563p ÷ 50.4mpg = 11.2p per mile

Of course these figures will change over time, but I hope all this is helpful to you.

• Love it! 1

52 minutes ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

No, no - so far very happy with mine, but I've cut and pasted the replies just in case I need the info in future and will put them in my motoring "Know Your Rights" file. I bought a new Octavia L&K estate in 2002 and a 2.0TDI estate in 2009 - and now this iV. I wanted a PHEV as a stepping stone to a full EV in probably 3-5 years time. After 2 months of ownership the negative I have to report is that it is over-featured. The Infotainment system is a nightmare of complexity, so I have learnt to ignore most of it and just let the car do what it wants to do. SatNav is not good and I will revert to my Garmin. However, the ride and comfort are both excellent. Charging time has reduced now to 5 hours from empty. Fuel costs as follows :

Electricity

Full charge = 5 hours

Smart meter showed 37p/hr during this time

5 hours x 37p = £1.85 to charge car

Full charge gives c.30 miles

£1.85 ÷ 30 = 6.2p per mile

Petrol

On April 26 a litre of Premium = £1.24

1.24 x 4.54 (litres in a gallon) = £5.63 per gallon

Consumption during 77ml trip  = 50.4mpg

563p ÷ 50.4mpg = 11.2p per mile

Of course these figures will change over time, but I hope all this is helpful to you.

Thankyou so much for taking the time to provide a comprehensive response.  Very much appreciated.   I'm pleased you are issue free with the car and yes, I would agree regard complexity, but it seems this is the way things are going with all cars.   

I'm with you in the PHEV is the stepping stone to full EV, but until the range allows me to do 500 miles round trip without charging then I'll wait.  What is pleasing to see is the longer journey you managed to get fairly decent mpg.   I'm assuming you were running some in hybrid for some of that 77 miles, so I'd be interested to see what happens on a longer journey with a fully depleted battery.

Maybe we should start another thread to avoid hijacking this one.

I needed time away from this forum to help clear my head after a few months of mess and an all round bad experience.

I can reflect now to say I am frankly disgusted with:

Skoda - for buiding and selling this junk in the first place.

Skoda UK - for showing no interest in resolving the issues. Kate Laws comes in for particular scorn for failing to make promised calls to me and getting lackies to pretend she is on another call whenever I tried to call her.

My dealership - for childishly pinning all the blame on Skoda, like that is MY problem, instead of acting like men and taking charge of the situation.

VW Finance - Who, one month after putting a rejection in writing, still haven't made any contact with me whatsoever.

My reject is finished though. Car has gone and got all my money back (I have no idea nor care who put the money up for my refund), no mileage deductions. I had asked for compensation for fuel left in my vehicle, fuel spent travelling to dealership numerous times, bus fares, the £40 cancellation fee on my car insurance. Haven't even had an acknowledgement to that request, let alone receive any compo money. I'm just glad to see the back of the whole thing though, so am content with my deposit and payments having been returned.

I'm still onboard with Skoda and having had nothing but an amazing experience in the Superb courtesy car I am currently awaiting an order on a Superb 1.5 SE L DSG with some options fitted and a nice £9k discount as it turns out I am now eligible for the Motorfinity scheme through my employment. So it's actually kinda funny that my Octavia has gone back. Up to a month before that arrives though, so after months of stress in my car I am currently enjoying sitting back and being driven around in the other half's car.

Edited by Gax
  • Like 2

Good luck to you in the Superb. Like me, it is great to be out of that mk iv for good. 

Two things I have learned is that when I buy again I need to get on a site like this before buying to get an idea of the issues and not buy a new model! 

If I was thinking of buying a mk iv I certainly wouldn't having read this site and I would have saved months of misery.

Anyhow, enjoy your motoring. I have also gone back to tried and tested Skoda.