Cranks but will not start

Hi - My son reported a loss of power driving our Fabia 1.2 BME yesterday - top speed was 40mph. I went to investigate and the car started normally but VCDS-lite shows fault "16686 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected", I took the car for a short drive without any problems.

She is on 106k miles and due new spark plugs so I swapped them out. Started the car and the engine was lumpy again as my son had reported, presumably running off 2 cylinders. Reseated the spark plugs but still had a lumpy engine. Swapped out the Ignition Coil on #2 and now the car cranks but will not start. Fitted the original ignition coil on #2 but still the car will crank but not start.

I ran a full scan using VCDS-lite and it showed fault "01314 Engine Control Module" but on Address 03: ABS Brakes. Not sure if that is related or red herring.

What should i be checking next? I can smell fuel, and i hear what i think is the Fuel pump kicking in on first click of the ignition. 

Edited by garibaldy

37 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

How fast is it cranking?

Does it sound like it it is trying to start or not?

This is going to be a subjective response :-) but in my opinion it is cranking well (battery was replaced a couple of months ago) but there isn't any signs of the engine starting.

If I place my foot on the accelerator (not sure what that does these days) there's a hint of it trying to start - but minimal. 

22 minutes ago, Wino said:

Checked any fuses?

Ignition coil feed is #52

When you say you 'swapped out' coil 2, do you mean moved it to another cylinder, or fitted a new one there?

I haven't checked any fuses, but will check fuse #52.

Fitted a new coil pack.

Edited by garibaldy

18 hours ago, garibaldy said:

I haven't checked any fuses, but will check fuse #52.

Fitted a new coil pack.

Fuse 52 had blown. Engine now starts and is running smoothly, so just need to see if that fixes the misfire.

Thanks Wino!

• Love it! 1