HOW MUCH FOR A CABLE??

£75 BEFOR ETAX AND SHIPPING FOR A CABLE FROM ALTERNATOR TO BATTERY??

And my turbo justwent. waaahh

Anyone know whether other  cars such  as the 1.9 tdi audi or vw on similar engine will have the same cable?

code is so similar

mine is 1J0971349FQ

I really don t want to scrap the car but its been adding up

Anyone got one of these cables from a mk1 1.9tdi ASV or AHF engine

TIA

that cable  has  plugs going off of it other wise I would - unless you think that the smaller wires with plugs for ac etc are completely seperate and can be added back in?

Abovem y paygrade--my mechanic  who comes to the house said it was showing high resistence..

I changed the alternator to a reconditioned one   and battery the week  prior to that.

The reconditioned alternator did not work so i got a refund . It  was a 14v 120amp  and fit fine but the oem part is a 90amp so now i got a 14v 90amp.

would the too high alternator cause an issue and maybe there is no problem at all with the cable.

he put his multimeter on the alternator and the cable

Alternator current capability won't have been an issue.

If the thick cable is high resistance you will lose volts from one end to the other, and whatever the alternator does the battery won't get enough volts to charge.  Is there any sign of overheating/melting of stuff at the battery-end connection?

I reckon an ebay supplier, or a local motor factors will make you a suitable cable for not much money.   I  think the cable thickness required is 25 square mm.  You (or your mechanic) would need to define the crimp sizes for each end (probably M8 at alt, M6 at fuse) and an approximate length.  

not unless  it goes under then comes up again 

I have put photo of me pointing to where I think you mean

I also took a photo of where it disappears under the battery (finger on it)

There are loads much cheaper  of similar harnesses with same  OEM number save for the last 2  letters but unless it is a 1.9td ASV or AHF with airconditioner I do not think it will be a swap

IMG20210518200024 (1).jpg

IMG20210518200213.jpg

Yes it does go under battery but also as you said comes up to the battery terminal. Mechanic here now. I got in the end an exact copy of the cable from a Seat Leon mk1 for £20. Took me days to figure out what other cars had that cable as new they are £60-80.

By any chance do you know what the 3 plugs are for? One must be for air conditioning but all of the diagrams I found have them numbered as 7,8,9 and 11 but no corresponding ledger

skoda wiring.png

Edited by Bornjoyful

One of the two-ways will be to A/C compressor, the other for alternator signals.  The four way takes these wires onwards to their final destinations, I guess.

I was thinking you could leave all of that stuff in place, cut off both ends of the thick cable and just tyrap a replacement thick cable to the existing loom.

Do the end crimps of the thick cable on what you have bought look to be in better condition than yours?

Compare colour of the battery fuse end crimp to your discoloured/overheated-looking one from the photo above.  Is the replacement shinier, like the other wires' crimps going to the other strip fuses?

Edited by Wino

That does look better, but if you can clean the flat contact faces of the crimps, and the strip fuse, with a little brass-wire brush or similar prior to doing up the nuts, it'll be good.

will do.

Hopefully this latewrnator will work as it is a ****** getting them out - werdly going back in was easy. This has more do do with my veg oil set up than Skoda design. 

Next week replacing turbo- decided on a new one with warranty rather than a used one . £240 before paying for it to be fitted. Sigh.