Oil for 1.5 TSI

Is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL VW 504/507 suitable for the 1.5 TSI engine? I want to do my servicing outwith the dealer but need to be careful to stick to the correct oil to maintain the warranty. My mechanic can buy oil at cost price. Also would a Bosch oil filter do the trick??? I'm doing services every ten/twelve weeks so as you can imagine I'd like to keep time lost and costs down and avoid the dealer. Thanks.

Oh and is 5 litres required?

Edited by gm73

What age / build date of 1.5 TSI,. GPF or no GPF.   The VW 504 00/ 507 so if 5 w 30 FS III is fine but for the 1 5TSI with GPF Skoda recommend VW 508 00/ 509 00. That is 0w 20 FS IV.  Some dealers are using 0w 30 FS. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 22/05/2021 at 10:34, e-Roottoot said:

What age / build date of 1.5 TSI,. GPF or no GPF.   The VW 504 00/ 507 so if 5 w 30 FS III is fine but for the 1 5TSI with GPF Skoda recommend VW 508 00/ 509 00. That is 0w 20 FS IV.  Some dealers are using 0w 30 FS. 

Thanks. It's a December 2019 build. Registered March 2020.

Edited by gm73

It is a 'Taxi' so tool of the trade,

so what might be relevant is how many miles it covers in 10 or 12 weeks, or even how many hours does the engine run if it is sitting idling lots.

Does it work day and night like many Taxi's do?

Servicing is more than just Oil & Filter Services, which is basically an Oil Change. 

Servicing should be, servicing of consumables, so maybe Preventative Maintenance and inspection of parts, brakes, suspension, steering. tyres. wiper etc.

21 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

so what might be relevant is how many miles it covers in 10 or 12 weeks, or even how many hours does the engine run if it is sitting idling lots.

Servicing is more than just Oil & Filter Services, which is basically an Oil Change. 

Servicing should be, servicing of consumables, so maybe Preventative Maintenance and inspection of parts, brakes, suspension, steering. tyres. wiper etc.

Ah understand, good to know, just thought an eager DIY'er. @gm73, how's the 1.5TSI for use as a Taxi, do your have manual or DSG.

11 hours ago, FrankNicklin said:

Ah understand, good to know, just thought an eager DIY'er. @gm73, how's the 1.5TSI for use as a Taxi, do your have manual or DSG.

Hi, it's been good so far, it's a manual. The extra power is a boon tbh and the fuel economy isn't hugely different from my previous 1.6 TDi. I accepted the compromise between fuel economy and refinement. The drive is very inconsistent though, just like the previous car, sometimes it feels silky smooth then ten seconds later feels like you have to work it. I have other, older cars, and the drive never changes.

11 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

My taxis are never worked too hard. They do between 25 and 30k miles a year and this one will be replaced before it hits 100k. I always keep a close eye on everything to the point of paranoia and keep 4 tyres in my shed.

• Like 1

Just now, FrankNicklin said:

Could the ACT be affecting this.

What's this?

There's a perceptible clutch judder sometimes as well, which is hugely disapointing with only 11k on the clock.

Active Cylinder Technology.   (COD with Audi, Cylinders on demand.)

That is where the 2 cylinders shut down when the load / power is not required.   Some complain about how that feels. and many never even notice it occurring.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/464630-15-tsi-act-vibration-and-noise

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/472276-the-kangaroo-is-dead

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2