Caravan Tow / Tow Bar

andyleemiles

Hi All,

Couple questions I am hoping some others have experience in here 🙂

Got the Mrs going on about getting a caravan but unfortunately when getting the Karoq beginning of this year I didn't punt for the tow bar or look too much in to towing capacity etc.

As a result I am here with a 1.0L TSi SE Tech Karoq with no tow bar.

Skoda guide says (with tow bar) it can tow up to 1,200/1,400kg. But I am still sceptical and apprehensive given the engine spec.

Assuming the engine is all good (based on experiences), has anyone had the Tow Bar retrofitted. I'm hearing £850ish with Skoda, anyone had success otherwise? 

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

As others will testify, and have written here previously, retro fitting a tow bar is not just a case of bolting some iron onto the chassis and scotch blocking into the electrics for lights.

There are a number of considerations.

Factory fitted towing equipment often comes with uprated engine cooling systems.

The ECU needs to be able to detect when there is something plugged into the socket, this will disable certain functions and modify the effect of others. Such as proximity detection when reversing and stability control.

Over the years I have had cars with a factory fit tow bar and some without.

I always get the feeling I wish I had opted for it every time, even though I rarely tow anything, but we do have a ball mounted bike rack.

If you go for a retro fitted one make sure the electrics are done properly and the ECU is able to recognise when a load is attached.

I doubt anyone who has this done goes through bother of getting uprated cooling though!

Edited by vegit8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vegit8 said:

As others will testify, and have written here previously, retro fitting a tow bar is not just a case of bolting some iron onto the chassis and scotch blocking into the electrics for lights.

There are a number of considerations.

Factory fitted towing equipment often comes with uprated engine cooling systems.

The ECU needs to be able to detect when there is something plugged into the socket, this will disable certain functions and modify the effect of others. Such as proximity detection when reversing and stability control.

Over the years I have had cars with a factory fit tow bar and some without.

I always get the feeling I wish I had opted for it every time, even though I rarely tow anything, but we do have a ball mounted bike rack.

If you go for a retro fitted one make sure the electrics are done properly and the ECU is able to recognise when a load is attached.

I doubt anyone who has this done goes through bother of getting uprated cooling though!

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am thinking if I am going to do it, best going through Skoda and doing it properly; although if there are 3rd parties that do it properly for less then even better! 

10 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

I think when you show the Mrs how wee a caravan your car will tow, I think the notion might subside somewhat :)

Haha - Yes, that's my thought although it appears that we can tow 1.2 / 1.4 tonne which isn't bad, still get a 4/5-birth okay. 

Has anyone got any experience towing caravan with the 1.0L TSi? 

I'm not convinced you get any extra hardware (other than a wiring connection in the loom) with the 'Tow Bar Prep' option......

Can't see there'd be any extra / uprated fan on the cooling system for the nominal £195 option?

I do agree with vegit8 above, for the extra cost involved, these days it's worth the extra for a factory fitted OEM towbar.

Edited by Berisford

From my enquiries fully coded tow bar supply and fitting cost between £600 and £700 from an independent, who local dealer's use.

I have driven a 1.0 on road test and it was quite nippy but if your not experienced at towing a caravan, which is a lot different to a trailer then

1000KG is a weight you need to be looking round loaded.  This then usually means you into older caravans and second hand caravans are a bit of a minefield if you don't know what your looking at especially at this time of year.  Best of luck caravanning can be great fun.

Edited by vulcan
addition