Scout proteus 17 alloys repair or alternative

Hi all,

I am sure I read something on here a while back but can't find anything now.

Anyway, these wheels on my car 09 scout are a right mess and two have a slow leak even after new tyres last year and I'm bored of keeping the pressures up each week and the premature tyre weak etc,

What are sensible like for like alternatives so I don't have to go through the faff of trying to get this sorted out?

Thanks

Edited by DanT4

Thanks for the reply. Yes it could be I'm just thinking that the previous 4 tyres had similar issues as the new ones last year. I've got the two fronts to replace again due to mileage and premature wear. I don't want to go down a refurb route and they still leak :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My 2008 Scout has Proteus alloys and afer a few years they were getting tatty. Problem apears to be the laquer doesn't stick well to the diamond cut spoke surface.  I think they are the best looking alloy wheel (easy to clean) and nice chunky spokes. Got them grit blasted and powder coated, think it cost around £60 per wheel, and now they are a uniform silver grey finish, nice and understated, Goes well with the dark blue paint. Never had any leaking problems - was fitted from factory with Dunlop SP 1 tyres, but for the last few years has been running on Avon ZV 7, which seem to be better than the Dunlops. Steel wheels and winter tyres go on in November - helps protect alloys from salt and hidden potholes !

Cheers,

Lloyd

19 hours ago, phoneman(ret) said:

Hi,

My 2008 Scout has Proteus alloys and afer a few years they were getting tatty. Problem apears to be the laquer doesn't stick well to the diamond cut spoke surface.  I think they are the best looking alloy wheel (easy to clean) and nice chunky spokes. Got them grit blasted and powder coated, think it cost around £60 per wheel, and now they are a uniform silver grey finish, nice and understated, Goes well with the dark blue paint. Never had any leaking problems - was fitted from factory with Dunlop SP 1 tyres, but for the last few years has been running on Avon ZV 7, which seem to be better than the Dunlops. Steel wheels and winter tyres go on in November - helps protect alloys from salt and hidden potholes !

Cheers,

Lloyd

Thanks for getting back to me, I had some new tyres fitted and the garage said they'd make sure the rim was seating well. So far so good. I think when its not in daily use I'll get them cleaned up as quite happy with them if they don't leak.