USB & iPhone 12

I wonder if anyone can advise, please? I have an iPhone 12 and cannot use it via the USB socket (like I could my old iPhone 5!) as the iPhone 12 has no connection point – it's bluetooth only.

Is there any way my ageing 1.4 TDI (still great) can still play music via the iPhone 12? Sorry to sound so ignorant of tech issues here! Ideally, I'd love to hear my 'phone calls via the car's speakers also but suspect this is completely impossible. :dry:

Thanks

MM 

Edited by MasterMunchkin

Won't a Lightening to 3.5mm cable allow music via the aux socket in the centre console. Obviously won't work for calls which would require a new headunit. You may also require a 3.5mm male to male cable. Unsure if the item shown would allow calls. Cheap enought to try.

USB to 3 5mm adaptor.jpg

Edited by KeithCheetham
Other option

2 hours ago, MasterMunchkin said:

Hello Keith. Thanks very much for this. I will go to Halfords this morning and make enquiries, based on your thoughts.

With thanks 

MM

This is the transmitter I suggested. Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver 3.5mm Audio USB Jack Aux Adapter UK | eBay A phone shop may be a better option for the lightening to 3.5mm adaptor than Halfords. The reason I mentioned the extra lead is that the lightening leads are generally a 3.5mm female, same as the cars Aux In so you would need a 3.5mm male to male.

Official Apple cable Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter - Apple (UK) - £9

Or expensive option Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable (1.2m) - White - Apple (UK) at £35 without needing cheap 3.5mm male to male. Suggest cheapest option to ensure it works but would suggest genuine lightening to 3.5mm cable (£9 option) as experience with Iphones - families, not my own as not a fan - shows that cheap cables can give issues.

Edited by KeithCheetham
Additional data

On 12/06/2021 at 10:43, KeithCheetham said:

This is the transmitter I suggested. Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver 3.5mm Audio USB Jack Aux Adapter UK | eBay A phone shop may be a better option for the lightening to 3.5mm adaptor than Halfords. The reason I mentioned the extra lead is that the lightening leads are generally a 3.5mm female, same as the cars Aux In so you would need a 3.5mm male to male.

Official Apple cable Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter - Apple (UK) - £9

Or expensive option Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable (1.2m) - White - Apple (UK) at £35 without needing cheap 3.5mm male to male. Suggest cheapest option to ensure it works but would suggest genuine lightening to 3.5mm cable (£9 option) as experience with Iphones - families, not my own as not a fan - shows that cheap cables can give issues.

Thanks very much for this, Keith. Very helpful. I am away from home currently but will check the options you suggested above early this week. V helpful indeed. MM

• 3 weeks later...