Hi from a potential new owner

mistac

Folks. Unless there’s any last-minute hitches, due to pick up a new car 1.5 SEL DSG in business grey tomorrow. Son already has one and I was very impressed with it so have traded in my golf GTi as now at an age when I want a little bit more relaxed motoring and potential space for future plans et cetera. Will update and send pics once it arrives.

Forgot to say, as it’s all been done at very short notice it does not have a spare wheel et cetera only an inflation Kit. Will be exploring options as to getting some sort of aftermarket kit spare wheel kit et cetera. Also was a little bit horrified to find that if I ever need replacement tires, they’re up to 50% more expensive than what my golf GTi tires were! I guess it’s because it’s an unusual size and supply and demand et cetera?

Welcome!

Second thing first.  Not wishing to start a debate about different tyre brands, there's plenty of that eleswhere on here, but I've previously run Michelin Pilots, Premacys, etc on my Saab 9-5, then my Octavia vRS, both 220 bhp cars.  All tyres were 225/45 18".  Over 18 years prices ranged from £95 to £110.  My Karoq came with Bridgestones and they needed replacing last autumn.  Michelins would have been around £150 so I stayed with Bridgestones at £96 each all in.  But shop around, even these T001 Potenzas can vary enourmously in price..  TBH I prefer these slightly more pliant (and quieter) tyres and with a more prominent sidewall there's far less chance of kerbing the alloys.  So yes, the unusual size does have an effect on price when comparing the same tyre across sizes.

First things second.  There's also a few threads here about getting a spare and all the polystyrene foam padding for the boot.  IMHO that's not really necessary.  I bought an 18" spacesaver wheel and tyre with scissor jack and decent extending brace from thewheelshop.co.uk in Manchester for £139. They show generic photos but the kit is first class, branded tyres, etc.  This is the third one I've had from them.  I used other emergency boot items - pump, kneeling mat, couple of chocks, etc - to pad out the wheel well.

As with tyres, other suppliers of spare wheels are available - and you'll get plenty of advice on here.

Enjoy the new car - it'll be a change from the Golf, it's taken me nearly a year to really like the Karoq after the Saab and then the Octavia.  I considered a RaceChip upgrade to around 170 bhp, but the 150 bhp  serves the Karoq well.  I just need to stand on a box to wash the roof.

@mistac welcome to the fold and you will learn to love your new vehicle. Ask questions and don't be a stranger. Congrats on your new purchase too.

@FlyingGecko it's a shame SAAB no longer exists, we can thank GM for that sad demise. Having said that you are spot on regarding tyres, shop around and you might be surprised. Im not a fan of the Bridgestone tyres on my sportline and may end up going over to a different brand come the time.

You only need the jack and tools if you get a space saver for a 2wd car. I would also keep the pump as useful.

You can fit a full size wheel as a spare if you buy the riser kit and new floor as well, but this will reduce boot space and doesn’t leave a large flat area if you have the removable rear seats.

4wd can only have a space saver spare and must have the riser kit and new floor. This what I fitted to my 4wd but will struggle to fit the punctured wheel into the boot with a lot of luggage in.

I think the ability to edit the post times out after a while, as per most forums.  you will see "Edit" there for a while after you post.....

• Like 2

This might be a strange question. I thought I’d doublecheck the tyre pressures on my new car. I’ve got a Michelin Digital gauge foot pump with a screw thread. Never had an issues with it but the screw thread on the foot pump  does not seem to seal/shut off the valve to read the pressure on the foot pump. Looks like the valve is a bit longer than I’ve had on other  cars. Are there any adapters or any tips that I can use to use the Michelin foot pump or is it a case of finding another foot pump or 12 V inflator?

cheers

19 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

I think the ability to edit the post times out after a while, as per most forums.  you will see "Edit" there for a while after you post.....

However I’ve just put another post on and doublechecked immediately afterwards and it still says report and share are the only menu options? 

A few more questions. 

I have done a few tweaks using Carista as below

1. Passenger mirror fold on reverse (it now shows as ticked on infotainment menu) - unless I am doing something wrong, nothing happens when I select “l” on mirror switch though?
2. Fan speed in auto - works ok

3. beep on lock/unlock - works ok

i now have mirror puddle lights and think I selected that on Carista but not sure if they were already standard/working?

Is there a way to also have mirrors to only fold out on ignition rather than on unlocking car?
fInally, checked oil level and when pushing dipstick back in, when it is seated it seems to be “loose” / does not click/lock in - is that normal? 
sorry for all the questions , but that’s me when getting a new car! 

I am now a freedom lite member so can edit posts, but there does not seem to be a delete facility?  Is that normal ?

Edited by mistac
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 18:32, mistac said:

This might be a strange question. I thought I’d doublecheck the tyre pressures on my new car. I’ve got a Michelin Digital gauge foot pump with a screw thread. Never had an issues with it but the screw thread on the foot pump  does not seem to seal/shut off the valve to read the pressure on the foot pump. Looks like the valve is a bit longer than I’ve had on other  cars. Are there any adapters or any tips that I can use to use the Michelin foot pump or is it a case of finding another foot pump or 12 V inflator?

cheers

Get a BBB pump head replacement ,around £6 off Amazon / Ebay will fit car and Presta valves.

I replaced the screw type on my Ring car tire inflator with one.

1 hour ago, Gomezz said:

Get a BBB pump head replacement ,around £6 off Amazon / Ebay will fit car and Presta valves.

I replaced the screw type on my Ring car tire inflator with one.

many thanks - will order one