Throttle when in first gear

whizzo

Afternoon All,

We have had our 1.0 Monte Carlo for around 6 weeks now, and no matter how either of us drive it, the initial moving off is always jerky( for want of a better explanation).....its as if you have either dipped the clutch or the power dips, this comes on any surface, handbrake not on, normal driving.....

Any one else suffered this?

car is booked into local dealer for a second time, first time at two weeks old, it needed something on the clutch pedal as the cruise control, stop start and gear indicator were not working, they did not find a fault with the throttle at that time, so we decided to do a few more miles and see if it was us.....but now its going back as Stop /Start is back giving an error, the gear indicator keeps flashing in 6th at 70 miles an hour telling us to go down a gear, might be interesting in the 1.0, and throttle response is spoiling the car......

Any advice greatfully received

Thanks

Dave

It sounds like a faulty sensor in the engine, making it think engine is running differently to how it expects (fuel / air gas mix or at an odd temperature).

If the throttle is only doing things in first gear, might be a sticky brake, or the hill hold related problem.

From your description it could even be something physical with the pedal not moving freely

Hope dealer finds the fault (get them to scan for all fault codes), and fixes it.

• Like 1

Been driving my Kamiq Limited for a month and though this is the 1.4 I know what you are saying.  Having driven a few DCT cars I find this to be common as first gear is so short then the turbo puts all the torque into second gear.

For me this has settled down a little as I have done my first 1000 miles but the best trick I can give you is to start in sports mode.  This makes first gear hold into the hire revs and the shift to second is better.  I move back to D once in third for economy where as my wife just leaves it in Sports mode.

Please let us all know how you go.

@Bagman Welcome to the forum.

The OP's 1.0 TSI is fitted to a 6 speed manual gearbox not a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG.

I had read that there were Skoda Karoq in Australia getting a 1.4 TSI with a 8 speed TQ Auto, what a shame they never gave the Kamiq the same drive train.

1.4 TSI's are no more in the EU / Europe other than in the odd vehicle that VW group managed to keep them in, that is other than when hybrids.

There are still DQ200's going to be fitted to 1.0 & 1.5TSI's for a while longer in Europe and the Fabia Mk4 will get that, but soon due to the need for low emissions in Europe and the fact VW never really got a good enough reliability with DQ200's even after 12 years of using customers as road test dummies VW will only do 1.0 & 1.5 TSI's with a DSG when Mild Hybrids & that will be the e-DQ200.

This means they will start of using electricity.  

Edited by e-Roottoot

Amazing the differences.  Manuals are rare in Australia with most people going automatic so I didn't think of it.  Hope they get it sorted out.  My old manual Viva used to do something similar until they fixed the retention plate in the box but this was after 60,000Km - doubt this is your problem.

On 21/06/2021 at 12:03, whizzo said:

Afternoon All,

We have had our 1.0 Monte Carlo for around 6 weeks now, and no matter how either of us drive it, the initial moving off is always jerky( for want of a better explanation).....its as if you have either dipped the clutch or the power dips, this comes on any surface, handbrake not on, normal driving.....

Any one else suffered this?

car is booked into local dealer for a second time, first time at two weeks old, it needed something on the clutch pedal as the cruise control, stop start and gear indicator were not working, they did not find a fault with the throttle at that time, so we decided to do a few more miles and see if it was us.....but now its going back as Stop /Start is back giving an error, the gear indicator keeps flashing in 6th at 70 miles an hour telling us to go down a gear, might be interesting in the 1.0, and throttle response is spoiling the car......

Any advice greatfully received

Thanks

Dave

Exactly the same happening in my 1.5TSI SEAT Ateca manual. 

I appreciate it’s a completely different car, engine and gearbox but I couldn’t have described my issue better myself.

I did have the ‘kangaroo’ fix last year but this is something different and it makes me hate the car with a passion. So difficult to set off from standing with any decorum. 

Its in for its first service (two years old) in a couple of weeks so I’ll mention it then. But I’ll expect the usual ‘can’t find anything wrong’ line. 

My 1L Monte was lovely I thoroughly enjoyed driving it

but it is an engine that needs revs and a gradual feeding

in of the clutch it is after all a "sports car"