SAT NAV Questions

Hi Everyone, Looking at upgrading my Comfort to an Elegance TDi 140, and have seen that it comes with the sat nav, my question is...

How do those of you that have it or have used it rate it?

Does it let you know about traffic and guide you around it?

Can it do 3D mapping as seen on the aftermarket systems?

What is the voice like and does it come through the main speakers?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Regards

SJ

Hi Everyone' date=' Looking at upgrading my Comfort to an Elegance TDi 140, and have seen that it comes with the sat nav, my question is...

How do those of you that have it or have used it rate it?

Does it let you know about traffic and guide you around it?

Can it do 3D mapping as seen on the aftermarket systems?

What is the voice like and does it come through the main speakers?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Regards

SJ[/quote']

Questions answered in order.

A little fiddlely but gets the job done.

Dont think so

No

Doris, as I refer to her. A bit monotone and it comes through the main speakers.

Guest Fabia 12v

If your talking about the Skoda Sat-Nav MFD as found in the superb or as i added to fabia and golf... voice is female and it comes through main speakers.

A good unit all in all and looks the part :thumbup:

It's a pretty good unit to be honest, it doesn't have 3D but will divert you around congestion as it has TMC (usually only on standard fit, i.e. if you fit it yourself it probably wont have the TMC box).

It's not as good as a tom tom as you cant put house numbers in, only groups of houses, so wont take you to the front door like a tom tom will.

Its a great unit does exactly what you need.

The factory suplied navigation unit in the Superb is TMC equiped and is delivered with a UK TMC disk, diversion will be available and is transmitted for motorways and some major A road I understand. The advantage over non OE sysystems is that you get additional info in the maxidot display which is really useful, countdown to junction, road name and roundabout / left right bear left right and straight on symbols.

I use mine a lot in Europe and think its great - not having full postcode selection is not an issue it will get you yards from where you need to be. It also displays and can route you to skoda dealerships. Sounds through main speakers as beens stated already.

Hi Everyone, Looking at upgrading my Comfort to an Elegance TDi 140, and have seen that it comes with the sat nav, my question is...

Alright for some!!

You looking at a brand new Superb then?

Alright for some!!

You looking at a brand new Superb then?

Not a brand new one, an Ex Demonstrator in Black Magic and the Cubic Alloys, so almost looks like an Edition 100 (from the outside). :)

No post code search!

Very slow CD-rom as opposed to more up to date DVD-rom

hardly any info on display map - no names of main roads etc..

No 3d option.

complex to use

TMC rarley works

Does not dim radio sound when voice calls directions!

+ Loads more of silly things they should have done in a modern sat nav system

No post code search!

Very slow CD-rom as opposed to more up to date DVD-rom

hardly any info on display map - no names of main roads etc..

No 3d option.

complex to use

TMC rarley works

Does not dim radio sound when voice calls directions!

+ Loads more of silly things they should have done in a modern sat nav system

No postcode search? Mine has!!!

I think that it's fair to say that the unit isn't exactly state of the art but then you are comparing the DX unit to more modern technology, the DX and MFD units are now very old and have been superseeded by the MFD 2 units and so on.

Not a brand new one, an Ex Demonstrator in Black Magic and the Cubic Alloys, so almost looks like an Edition 100 (from the outside). :)

So are you going to get it then? Or go for the Edition 100 on Ebay!?!?!?

I was disapointed that the 18 month old Superb I bought about a year ago did not have the sat nav. But not anymore.

I have come to the conclusion that "proper" sat nav designed by sat nav experts is much better than the stuff you get in most cars. More accurate and much easier to upgrade.

The only advantage with built in sat nav is that it mutes the audio and comes through the radio. However I have exactly the same effect using Tom Tom 5 on my Ipaq 6340 (PDA and phone) and a Parrot CK3300 combined bluetooth sat nav receiver and car kit. Audio mutes and sat nav instructions and warnings (and phone calls) come through audio so that I can use the volume control on the steering.

It has the advantage of being able to put your own POIs in, including the all important latest camera database.

And to top it all it is a lot cheaper than the unit Skoda sell

I was disapointed that the 18 month old Superb I bought about a year ago did not have the sat nav. But not anymore.

I have come to the conclusion that "proper" sat nav designed by sat nav experts is much better than the stuff you get in most cars. More accurate and much easier to upgrade.

The only advantage with built in sat nav is that it mutes the audio and comes through the radio. However I have exactly the same effect using Tom Tom 5 on my Ipaq 6340 (PDA and phone) and a Parrot CK3300 combined bluetooth sat nav receiver and car kit. Audio mutes and sat nav instructions and warnings (and phone calls) come through audio so that I can use the volume control on the steering.

It has the advantage of being able to put your own POIs in' date=' including the all important latest camera database.

And to top it all it is a lot cheaper than the unit Skoda sell[/quote']

I agree on the technology front maybe but again, it's a bit unfair to compare the DX unit as it's so old to other systems. Have you seen some of the latest Sat Nav units in the Audi's? RNS-E? Now that is a piece of kit!!

As for Skoda's price, completely agree but it's all about who you know and my unit only cost me

Well I am going for it' date='as will be trading mine in against it.

Thanks for the answers guys

Baker21: How do I know if mine has the Postcode search?[/quote']

Nice then mate, look forward to seeing the pics.

As already mentioned, I just type the postcode in where you have the option of specifying a 'town' and ''Bob's your uncle' it works.

I agree on the technology front maybe but again' date=' it's a bit unfair to compare the DX unit as it's so old to other systems. Have you seen some of the latest Sat Nav units in the Audi's? RNS-E? Now that is a piece of kit!!

[/quote']

But will it allow you to enter custom POIs when you want to, and in an industry standard format? If not then you can't use the camera warning database. And I bet that will cost most people alot more than £300!

• 2 weeks later...