Start/stop battery, what actually happens?

Saw an earlier thread regarding replacing these batteries and the required coding, does anybody know exactly what effect not coding a new battery is?

Assuming the battery is replaced with a battery saver connected to avoid loss of data, what black magic is invited to destroy the car?

Coding the battery is telling the car which charging profile to use to optimise the battery and vehicle systems. 

Using the wrong profile won’t cause an immediate issue, just doesn’t look after the battery correctly leading to early replacement. An AGM program on a standard battery wears it out quicker for example. 

Thanks for that, so if an AGM is replaced by another AGM, nothing world ending happens? Personally I hate the over sophistication (in my opinion) in modern cars. It’s not helped by one book fits all car owner’s manuals. My Greentech version keeps surprising me with what it does.

Edited by PETER COSGROVE
Left out

• 1 month later...

What's with the battery thing as I've got a citigo green tech 2014 2door and it's still got the same battery still do i have to code it as I've got the stop start button on the dashboard because I've got the last 2014 silver leaf metallic paint 2door citigo with a 75+ BHP engine in it and modified. Any help about the battery thing please

On 07/07/2021 at 17:05, PETER COSGROVE said:

Saw an earlier thread regarding replacing these batteries and the required coding, does anybody know exactly what effect not coding a new battery is?

You've not been clear what you mean by 'these batteries'.

If you mean AGM batteries, as in your later thread, then not all stop-start batteries are AGM, but Agm batteries are the better ones. The lesser stop-start batteries are less capable of taking the rather high currents without having their lives reduced and are rated for fewer cycles. (Err, AGM are also he more expensive ones, if you hadn't guessed)

Changing from an AGM to an Enhanced Flooded Battery without re-coding would definitely shorten battery life, a little. 

Changing from an EFB to an AGM without re-coding probably does little harm to the battery, but may get a little less performance out of the stop-start system than it should, although the extra performance out of stop-start is quite small, so a small fraction of that is probably truly minute.

One other thing that recoding does is tell the car that the battery is new, but there is probably little in that, until the battery gets to the end of its life, when it may do something, but hard to discern.