Anyone else ordered a new Kodiaq?

6 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

But it's your 250+ mile journeys I take issue with. Right at this moment, given the current weather, I wouldn't want to be travelling over 150miles in an Enyaq 60 before range anxiety set in.

Yes, range is crap in cold weather. Also, range varies wildly on driving style and load and car and... and... and...

But my point is still valid - the majority of car journeys are < 10 miles, and an overwhelming majority are < 50 miles. I'm sure there are plenty of stats around if you want to check that out. Charging electric cars regularly whilst out and about is only necessary for a small minority of people - but it's probably those people that have taken the leap at the moment and so the charging problem is perceived as relatively larger than it would be if everyone was driving electric cars. (yes, I know a lot of people can't charge at home for some reason, but that's a different albeit related problem that also needs to be solved... somehow!).

10 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

And if we just look at this morning's news of holdups on motorways in freezing conditions - what happens if you're subjected to many hours in the car and the battery charge is low?  I can still have my heater on in an ICE and in those conditions, if I did run out, I carry a spare gallon of petrol in the boot. What does an Enyaq driver do?   It'd be freaking me out. I'll be waiting until the technology improves before I'd be comfortable with an EV.

An Enyaq driver leaves the heater on too. My guess is that compared to powering the motors, it uses very little energy. Oh, and while they have the heater on, they're not spewing exhaust fumes out and contributing to the environmental problems that are causing the extreme weather in the first place 😉. Let's assume 3kWh for the heater, that's ~10 hours of heating if the battery on an Enyaq 60 is at 50%. And you don't need it on constantly.

But let's say you're on a long journey, your battery is getting low, and you end up stuck on a motorway in a snowdrift. Personally, I'd be questioning your planning and decision making that led to that situation. Much the same way that I would be if you were in a petrol car and had a nearly empty tank. Not everyone carries extra fuel around in their boot, but yes, that's easier in a petrol/diesel vehicle than it is in an EV.

• Confused 1

That is Real world issues with vehicles with Disabled or infirm passengers or just anyone in cars, children, animals and charging and just maybe 50 kW or less public ones available.  Sitting in EV,s in inclement weather and ok being warm while charging and windows open if you have wind deflectors.   Driving you need the heating, AC/ climatic on when moving or held up in bad weather / roads closed / snow gates closed.  With the WAV EV,s you can lease through Motability they have pretty pathetic range even in good weather and in near freezing weather it is not just a 30 % drop in range it can be more than 50%.  So less than 70 miles and you might need to get to a charger.      PS.  Heat pumps with EV, and energy consumption is not like putting on 1 kW or 2 kW fan heaters at home.  As to journeys, some people live where winter can be 5 months long and wintery weather lasts days of weeks and you need to travel and you do and know road conditions.  As to motorways.  North of Perth in Scotland there are none but plenty travel a few hundred miles more up and down and can meet many weather conditions within as few miles.  As it is I am sitting charging my EV in scorchio weather at the sea side less than 10 miles from thick snow covered roads where the sun is also shining. 

Edited by toot

3 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Yes, range is crap in cold weather. Also, range varies wildly on driving style and load and car and... and... and...

But my point is still valid - the majority of car journeys are < 10 miles, and an overwhelming majority are < 50 miles. I'm sure there are plenty of stats around if you want to check that out. Charging electric cars regularly whilst out and about is only necessary for a small minority of people - but it's probably those people that have taken the leap at the moment and so the charging problem is perceived as relatively larger than it would be if everyone was driving electric cars. (yes, I know a lot of people can't charge at home for some reason, but that's a different albeit related problem that also needs to be solved... somehow!).

An Enyaq driver leaves the heater on too. My guess is that compared to powering the motors, it uses very little energy. Oh, and while they have the heater on, they're not spewing exhaust fumes out and contributing to the environmental problems that are causing the extreme weather in the first place 😉. Let's assume 3kWh for the heater, that's ~10 hours of heating if the battery on an Enyaq 60 is at 50%. And you don't need it on constantly.

But let's say you're on a long journey, your battery is getting low, and you end up stuck on a motorway in a snowdrift. Personally, I'd be questioning your planning and decision making that led to that situation. Much the same way that I would be if you were in a petrol car and had a nearly empty tank. Not everyone carries extra fuel around in their boot, but yes, that's easier in a petrol/diesel vehicle than it is in an EV.

Like anything else it’s horses for courses.

we have a Kodiaq and a MG ZS EV in our household.

99% of our journeys are done in the MG, it’s great for my wife’s 10 mile commute, and ferrying the kids about to where they need to go and general pootling about at weekends.

if we are going away anywhere whether it’s down to England or up to the Highlands that’s where the Kodiaq steps in and does it’s job.

the infrastructure is nowhere near there for the majority of people to use EVs as their sole or primary mode of transport but it will get better.

as usual on the internet, it’s full of people who think the entire concept is trash because it wouldn’t fit their needs, but everyone has different needs for what they want or need their car to do. If you never leave the city and have a drive, an EV even at current infrastructure is perfect, even with rising electricity costs it’s still cheaper than ICE to run and easy to maintain.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

34 minutes ago, Davidr1986 said:

as usual on the internet, it’s full of people who think the entire concept is trash because it wouldn’t fit their needs, but everyone has different needs for what they want or need their car to do. If you never leave the city and have a drive, an EV even at current infrastructure is perfect, even with rising electricity costs it’s still cheaper than ICE to run and easy to maintain.

Exactly my point... apart from the cost.

If you only do limited miles, then the cost is prohibitive at the moment. I think it was the 'better than sliced bread' podcast that looked into this, and reckoned somewhere around the 50k-80k miles point is break-even between EVs and petrol cars.

But, as you say, the tech will get better. Hopefully by the time we get to 2035 and we're EV-only, battery tech will be a couple of generations better, and the charging infrastructure will have caught up somewhat.

Back to the original point though... EVs are the future. The future just isn't here yet, we're still essentially in the prototyping phase.

53 minutes ago, Davidr1986 said:

Like anything else it’s horses for courses.

we have a Kodiaq and a MG ZS EV in our household.

99% of our journeys are done in the MG, it’s great for my wife’s 10 mile commute, and ferrying the kids about to where they need to go and general pootling about at weekends.

if we are going away anywhere whether it’s down to England or up to the Highlands that’s where the Kodiaq steps in and does it’s job.

the infrastructure is nowhere near there for the majority of people to use EVs as their sole or primary mode of transport but it will get better.

We are similar - Kodaiq and a Swift Hybrid (plus a toy for summer).  The vast majority of our trips are done in the Swift except for longer journeys and journeys in weather like we have now, when the Kodaiq is used but I am think that as and when the Swift is passed to my daughter, or needs replacing, we'll look at a small EV with sufficient range for my regular work trips of 100 miles or so.

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2023 at 15:35, ceepan said:

My dealer has told me that my car is now been assigned a production week of 11, which is the week beginning 11th March, but this is still to be confirmed.  This maps to the Skoda build code of 10.

Build week should have been this week.  However the dealer has informed me that it isn't showing as built but another order which was supposed to be week 10 was just built yesterday so looks like they are running behind :-(

On 16/03/2023 at 17:02, ceepan said:

Build week should have been this week.  However the dealer has informed me that it isn't showing as built but another order which was supposed to be week 10 was just built yesterday so looks like they are running behind :-(

The dealer has just told me the car has been built and is in transit from the factory.  Fingers crossed it doesn't have to wait at Emden fro too long.

Hello!!! 13 months after…still wainting…hope to get it until the end of March….Since February 26 in Portugal….but “paper work and some more things”…so, i need to wait a bit more…😢

1 hour ago, Estiveira said:

Since February 26 in Portugal….but “paper work and some more things”…so, i need to wait a bit more…😢

Wow... if my dealer had tried to hold onto it for that long, I'd have broken into their compound and stolen it by now 🤣

5 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Wow... if my dealer had tried to hold onto it for that long, I'd have broken into their compound and stolen it by now 🤣

It's not at the dealer...it´s at the main platform in Azambuja (200km from here), otherwise, I would go for it...😂

Dealer confirmed that the car is with him.  19 weeks from ordering.

As my 2nd Kodiaq is departing tomorrow, I'd love the new one on Friday, but it might be Saturday. 

Gotta do some paperwork tomorrow, so hope to eyeball the new blue one.

ps - I bet there isn't a cleaner 3 year old Bear in the country. Someone will be lucky.

IMG_0116.JPEG

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

Dealer confirmed that the car is with him.  19 weeks from ordering.

As my 2nd Kodiaq is departing tomorrow, I'd love the new one on Friday, but it might be Saturday. 

Gotta do some paperwork tomorrow, so hope to eyeball the new blue one.

ps - I bet there isn't a cleaner 3 year old Bear in the country. Someone will be lucky.

IMG_0116.JPEG

19 weeks??? I think in Portugal, each week became a month.... :)

16 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Loaded with nice extras too.

Don't tempt me...   I do keep looking i case I find an 'upgrade' to ours but most of what I see are a good third more than we paid for the same age but much higher mileage.  Well...   that and the fact that SWMBO wants a manual gearbox (most are DSG).   So I keep thinking ours was a bargain and we'd be daft to change it.

On 20/03/2023 at 13:28, ceepan said:

The dealer has just told me the car has been built and is in transit from the factory.  Fingers crossed it doesn't have to wait at Emden for too long.

The car arrived at Emden on Wednesday.  Hopefully it isn't waiting for too many weeks before making it to the UK.

Pleasantly surprised this afternoon when my (Stirling) dealer phoned and offered to deliver car to my doorstep.

19 weeks from order date.

Thank you very much, as it’s been strange being a totally car-less household for only 1 day.

Also awaiting phone call to say wife’s replacement Polo has arrived.

As it’s Kodiaq number 3 I didn’t need much of a handover.

It went something like “here’s your keys, there’s the seat memory button, boot shelf is under the floor, sign here.”

And I don’t mean that in any way critical.

Very happy with the way it looks in FOC Energy Blue.  And sooooo quiet - filled up with petrol 20p cheaper than diesel.

The saving on £1,000 red paint contributed to a repeat of VC, DCC, winter pack, kick open boot lid.

A rear camera isn’t my primary means of reversing.  We (my wife) enjoys volume knob for radio.

I like the new steering wheel controls.  My hot wheel is easier to switch on than old model.

Surprised to find that KESSY unlocked the car using rear door.

Haven’t used Hankook tyres before so that will be interesting.

Unfortunately,  one of it’s first drives will be to local tip with a few builder sacks full of garden rubbish.

IF - I reach the end of this contract, I’ll have enjoyed 10 years of Kodiaq driving.

B81F1D25-7914-47C9-B14A-FE60F7F09D3B.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

13 hours ago, ceepan said:

The car arrived at Emden on Wednesday.  Hopefully it isn't waiting for too many weeks before making it to the UK.

My E-Up that I ordered in nov 2021 has been sitting in Emden since at least the 20th of February.  Well that’s when my dealer contacted me to say the car had been built and was there. They gave an estimate of 3-4 weeks to get into the uk and other week to get to the dealer.

They also asked me not to chase as they will give me an update when it’s ready as no update means no news.

The fact I ordered the car over 500 days ago with a 4 month estimated wait means I gave up chasing them a long time ago. 

I know this isn’t a Kodiaq order that relates to this forum but it might give you an idea. 

I do also own a Kodiaq and have ordered another (February order) that’s not expected until at least September (28 weeks apparently). 

13 hours ago, Estiveira said:

Hello!!! Today will be the day...the car arrived to the dealer...need to put the plates and today (i hope) i will get it...:)

13 month and 7 days after order...

Regards!

Not today...maybe tomorrow....or not...🤯

I ordered mine 19/11/22, I still don't have a build date.

4 Months and the dealership has no idea what's going on.

Anyone aware of any delays for Kodiaqs?? I was estimated 3-4 months when I bought the car.