Mk1 vRS Combi suspension options?

Looking increasingly like we'll be needing new suspension sooner rather than later. 

Originally planned to put the Koni str/H&R kit on it but have read that the H&R springs are a bit harsh and that's no good.

Anyone got alternatives that are an improvement without the harshness? 

There aren't any others mate. H&R are the only company to make specific springs for the VRS all the others that claim to fit are under-weight on the back. I'm currently in the same dilemma. 

Only other option is KW coilovers at £800 +

Edited by Paul thornton

i went down the route of replacing OEM springs with the same and getting Koni adjustible shocks on my mk1 combi about 10 years ago

5 hours ago, Paul thornton said:

There aren't any others mate. H&R are the only company to make specific springs for the VRS all the others that claim to fit are under-weight on the back. I'm currently in the same dilemma. 

Only other option is KW coilovers at £800 +

Can't be doing with coilovers..

Car's going to have elderly folk in it a few times a week and I don't really want their false teeth to be rattled out..

5 hours ago, bpm said:

i went down the route of replacing OEM springs with the same and getting Koni adjustible shocks on my mk1 combi about 10 years ago

Was it a definite improvement over stock?

• Administrators

I think just refreshed new OEM will be just fine. They too will have to bed in, so it won’t be the same driving on 12+ year old suspension.

• Like 1

The elderly carriage requirement is no more so it looks like Koni Str.t kit...

Discs and pads could do with replacing too, no bargains to be had anywhere. 

No Koni kits in the UK...  front dampers are on back order and have been for some time. Earliest is September - that's no good.

So I'm thinking of Bilsteins with H&R springs... if I can find the right ones :nerd:

45 minutes ago, Paul thornton said:

I've just fitted bilstein B4's on mine along with the eibach (I think) springs which were already on it.

Original shocks on mine were absolutely goosed so the drive is much more pleasant. 

Having a 'mare..... 

Thinking of a koni sport kit now... 

Need to make sure it's with h&r springs after what you said up there ^^

Yep I think eibach used to do springs for the Octavia but they aren't available anymore. H&R's are the only specific springs available now. People have used the H&R's along with bilstein B4's in the past but you'd still be looking around the £400 mark.

40 minutes ago, Paul thornton said:

Yep I think eibach used to do springs for the Octavia but they aren't available anymore. H&R's are the only specific springs available now. People have used the H&R's along with bilstein B4's in the past but you'd still be looking around the £400 mark.

Sport kit with h&r is £650.. 

I'm really pushing the budget at that but it's doable... 

Bit cheaper would be nicer though. 

My missus found a Koni STR.T kit in Germany, that'll be shipped this week.

There's a shortage of H&R springs too, apparently.. the warehouse doesn't have any and now the factory is on hols..

Under £400 could be a bit optimistic.. the springs alone are nearly £200. 

5 hours ago, Paul thornton said:

Sounds good. Bilstein B4's are £189 delivered but if you can get the koni kit its probably the better option.

Won't you get stung with import tax if you buy from Germany?

Vat has already been paid, I think... don't think there should be any duty. 

Even if there is the kit, with shipping, was under £380 so it'll be in the same ballpark as a UK purchase. 

I was looking at B6's,that's why I got the higher price tag.. :blush:

• Like 1