Short USB - iPhone (lightning) cable

I have a 2020 Sportline with the virtual cockpit. I’ve connected my iPhone X to it wirelessly using apple CarPlay and I use the wireless charging tray. My iPhone keeps freezing when I use google maps  whilst it’s connected to CarPlay. The iPhone works perfectly well at all other times, it only fails when connected to CarPlay. My infotainment system has received all he updates it requires. 

To get over this problem, I want a wired connection (that works fine when I drive my brother’s Tiguan and use a wired CarPlay connection with my iPhone).  

But I can’t find a short (12cm-ish) USB-C to Lightning (iPhone) connector with 90 degree connectors. When I search the official Skoda part number ‘5E0051510E’ online, I get USB-A to Lightning cables, that’s no good to me. The closest thing I’ve found is this cable by Mcdono, but it’s over a meter long! 

Here’s a short one that isn’t right angled, but may fit in the tray. 

8 hours ago, mk_83 said:

I have a 2020 Sportline with the virtual cockpit. I’ve connected my iPhone X to it wirelessly using apple CarPlay and I use the wireless charging tray. My iPhone keeps freezing when I use google maps  whilst it’s connected to CarPlay. The iPhone works perfectly well at all other times, it only fails when connected to CarPlay. My infotainment system has received all he updates it requires. 

To get over this problem, I want a wired connection (that works fine when I drive my brother’s Tiguan and use a wired CarPlay connection with my iPhone).  

But I can’t find a short (12cm-ish) USB-C to Lightning (iPhone) connector with 90 degree connectors. When I search the official Skoda part number ‘5E0051510E’ online, I get USB-A to Lightning cables, that’s no good to me. The closest thing I’ve found is this cable by Mcdono, but it’s over a meter long! 

Here’s a short one that isn’t right angled, but may fit in the tray. 

This might not be exactly the answer you're after, but having been down the same road as you, it might help...

I used one of these to plug into the USB-C socket, which at least gives you the option of using a USB-A to Lightning to connect to your phone. One piece right-angled USB-C to USB-A like this one would work in theory (and be smaller, obvs), but while they will all charge the phone, despite all the encouraging blurb they don't always work properly when it comes to transmitting data. 

Been there and done that.

When we got our previous Audi (which had USB-A sockets in the centre console rather than USB-Cs) I blagged one of these from the dealership. In our Karoq (same USB-C arrangement as your car) I plugged it into the flexible adaptor above. While it isn't quite as elegant as a one-wire solution, it's more than compensated for by the coiled Audi cable with its spiffy - and so far 100% reliable - swivelling connector.

Everything tucks into the space next to the USB-C sockets without impeding the sliding cover.

I tried the short fat cable you linked to, and sent it back straight away. It looks good, but it's too fat and stiff by half.

Edited by Phutters

Thanks @Phutters,

in the absence of a one cable solution, that does certainly look to be the best option. 

Can I ask why you opted for a wired connection, did you have trouble with Wireless Apple CarPlay? It’s such a disappointment the feature is unstable, I wonder if it needs to be a more modern iPhone, an 11 or 12 for example. Maybe they work just fine. I believe CarPlay uses both Bluetooth and Wifi connection at the same time, perhaps that along with The GPS being active is just too overwhelming for my old iPhone X. 

22 minutes ago, mk_83 said:

Can I ask why you opted for a wired connection, did you have trouble with Wireless Apple CarPlay? It’s such a disappointment the feature is unstable, I wonder if it needs to be a more modern iPhone, an 11 or 12 for example. Maybe they work just fine. I believe CarPlay uses both Bluetooth and Wifi connection at the same time, perhaps that along with The GPS being active is just too overwhelming for my old iPhone X. 

I use the wired connection for a reason which is pretty illogical given that the inside of any car, no matter how good its sound system, isn't really the best place to be pretending to be some sort of pseudy audiophile with corduroy trousers, a beard and no moustache.

I listen to most of my choonz (that's right, init?) on Deezer HiFi on the phone, an iPhone 7, and since I'm paying for something which genuinely sounds whizzo on a half-decent home stereo through a good DAC converter I thought I owed it to myself to use the optimum way of connecting it up in the car, which is wired.

I've used it wirelessly too, and to be perfectly honest I can't really tell the difference between wired and wireless, especially when Mrs Phutters is blithering on about nothing at all and our dogs are barking at every pedestrian, cyclist and motorcyclist they see out of the windows, never mind the road noise, wind noise and incessant honking from all the other motorists I've cut up while paying more attention to the built-in equaliser than the road ahead.

The other reason for wired is exactly what you alluded to when using wireless. It is unstable. Unstable bordering on pants, in fact.

I don't know if it would work better on a newer iPhone either, but a moving car definitely isn't the place to be faffing about turning things off and on again repeatedly.

And though it makes sod all difference in the overall scheme of things, using a wired connection also means you don't get the couple of seconds lag when changing tracks or whatever.

As far as Bluetooth is concerned, I did try a comparison with wired and wireless under the 'controlled conditions' of sitting in the car up the drive with the windows rolled up, engine off and me leaning over into the middle listening extremely scientifically to the same track played over and over from Deezer HiFi.

As far as sound quality goes. Bluetooth is noticeably poorer than wired or wireless.

But then it isn't supposed to be as good anyway.

Just brought these.  The short one does just the job. With 90 Degree connectors 

Lively Life [5Pack 0.5m+1m+2m+3m] Right Angled Lightening Charging Cable, 90 Degree Lightening Cable Compatible Phone XS/XR/X/8 Plus/7/6 Plus/SE/Pod/Pad Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WD47P54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z1X6FB07C07WZQNDA3EK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I hope I can borrow this topic for short question. 

Did anyone with USB-c socket found a solution of mini USB-c flash storage which is not blocking sliding “doors” to completely close the tray?

For the ones with USB-A there is available small USB-A flash drive, but for USB-C I can’t find it :(

11 minutes ago, Dzernej said:

I hope I can borrow this topic for short question. 

Did anyone with USB-c socket found a solution of mini USB-c flash storage which is not blocking sliding “doors” to completely close the tray?

For the ones with USB-A there is available small USB-A flash drive, but for USB-C I can’t find it :(

This one.

Oh, thanks. I was looking for one of this but I was not sure if it small enough not to block it.

I thought I would need something like this one but with C shape.

But again, nice to see that and thanks for fast reply.

I use one of these adapters. I use a nano drive with music on it which works perfectly. The cover closes easily with adapter and nano drive connected. I also use it for connecting my Android phone, but that's rare as I don't use Android Auto. I would assume it works for iDevices also

Edited by KeithOwen

I got one of these and the drawer will shut with it plugged in, also as it is dual usb easy to transfer from the computer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kootion-Keyring-waterproof-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B088WHM1GL/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=kootion%2Busb%2Bc&qid=1626818788&sr=8-8&th=1

Edited by Billywizzo

I bought one from Amazon back in February 0.2 metre and 90 degree connectors (£3.99) It does the job- I can even close the sliding lid of the charging area with it connected.

Search  MYLBOO charge cable.

On 20/07/2021 at 12:46, Davevx said:

Just brought these.  The short one does just the job. With 90 Degree connectors 

Lively Life [5Pack 0.5m+1m+2m+3m] Right Angled Lightening Charging Cable, 90 Degree Lightening Cable Compatible Phone XS/XR/X/8 Plus/7/6 Plus/SE/Pod/Pad Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WD47P54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z1X6FB07C07WZQNDA3EK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It says they’re USB-A cable. If so, I’ll need a USB-C to A adapter. 

I ended up getting this. It was the shortest one I could find (30cm) with right angled USB-C & Lightning connectors. Should coil up in the tray easily.

A 12cm one would have been perfect. Perfection is hard to achieve!