Slow AC leak from low pressure side of compressor.

JoeF

I suspect as in the picture that my ac is leaking slowly from the low pressure side. How difficult is it to replace that seal? And which part would I need?

20210721_124127.jpg

Looks like minimal loss in your first picture, but the joint/connection of your second post looks more serious. 

Guess you've looked everywhere else too? 

Generally the  screwed in fittings seem to be single T45 torx screw fasteners, with locating dowel pegs.  The holes that the pegs locate into can suffer oxidation as there's no weather seal to prevent air/moisture ingress   If you get one that's furred up badly it can take a lot of pulling to get the flange fitting off. Needs cleaning up prior to replacing o-ring so that the fitting goes on square, otherwise damage to new o-ring could occur.  Care to keep debris outside the system require during any such cleaning work.

Here's a diagram of parts including seals.  Item 34, 6Q0298260 ,looks like what you'd need to address the inline connection problem?

a/c condenser; fluid reservoir; refrigerant circui... - Fabia(FAB) [EUROPA 2000 year] (7zap.com)

44 minutes ago, Wino said:

Looks like minimal loss in your first picture, but the joint/connection of your second post looks more serious. 

Guess you've looked everywhere else too? 

Generally the  screwed in fittings seem to be single T45 torx screw fasteners, with locating dowel pegs.  The holes that the pegs locate into can suffer oxidation as there's no weather seal to prevent air/moisture ingress   If you get one that's furred up badly it can take a lot of pulling to get the flange fitting off. Needs cleaning up prior to replacing o-ring so that the fitting goes on square, otherwise damage to new o-ring could occur.  Care to keep debris outside the system require during any such cleaning work.

Here's a diagram of parts including seals.  Item 34, 6Q0298260 ,looks like what you'd need to address the inline connection problem?

a/c condenser; fluid reservoir; refrigerant circui... - Fabia(FAB) [EUROPA 2000 year] (7zap.com)

Thanks. Do you know how to separate item 34? Doesn't look obvious to me.

Claims to need a special release  tool VAS 6127/3, but I'm sure I've read someone on here talking about a way to do it without.  Maybe try searching the part number of the tool on here and see if anything comes up?

This is a VW doc, but surely equivalent. Click next page a couple or three times from here to see the full info

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Polo Mk3 > Heating, ventilation, air conditioning > Heating, air conditioning > Air conditioner > Repair work on refrigerant circuit which may be performed only in appropriate workshops by specially trained mechanics for vehic > Quick release coupling > Disconnecting quick release coupling (workshop-manuals.com)

On 21/07/2021 at 14:17, Wino said:

Claims to need a special release  tool VAS 6127/3, but I'm sure I've read someone on here talking about a way to do it without.  Maybe try searching the part number of the tool on here and see if anything comes up?

This is a VW doc, but surely equivalent. Click next page a couple or three times from here to see the full info

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Polo Mk3 > Heating, ventilation, air conditioning > Heating, air conditioning > Air conditioner > Repair work on refrigerant circuit which may be performed only in appropriate workshops by specially trained mechanics for vehic > Quick release coupling > Disconnecting quick release coupling (workshop-manuals.com)

I will try it with a generic AC quick connect release tool since I can't find the VAS one anywhere online.

Do you know what size the O ring seal should be? 6Q0298260 seems massively expensive for 1 seal, c clip and plastic insert. I did see somewhere that it wasn't a standard size that would be included in one of the repair kits.

On 23/07/2021 at 15:13, JoeF said:

Do you know what size the O ring seal should be? 6Q0298260 seems massively expensive for 1 seal, c clip and plastic insert.

Halfords sell an A/C O-ring selection that may have the right size in it....

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/air-con/halfords-air-con-o-rings-187396.html

@JoeF You didn't answer my question about whether you'd looked at all the other potential leak sites?

It's easy to find something that looks bad and think "Aha, found it!"; but there may be others or even worse ones.

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

@JoeF You didn't answer my question about whether you'd looked at all the other potential leak sites?

It's easy to find something that looks bad and think "Aha, found it!"; but there may be others or even worse ones.

I have visually inspected everything I could. Haven't checked the condenser unit though since it is hidden in the dash.

I suspect those are the only two leaks since it does take a while to leak out.

• Like 1

I doubt that the 'O' rings would be a non standard size. I am looking to replace the condenser on mine as the system could not be re-charged due to a leak, and have cross referanced the port 'O' ring size quoted in 7-Zap (8E0260749 10.8 x 1.8 equates to 50-013) to an industrial/international size quoted in the James Walker catalogue - the only non industry spec is the material to suit air-con which is HNBR while the standard is grade is plain NBR so material grade is very important. The Halfords kit quotes I/D vs O/D which will be rounded up numbers as international standards size 'O' rings by cross sectional diameter and inside diameter. There could be non standard size at the connection you refer to but generally this would require special tooling.

As I am DIY'ing on mine - I know the system is empty due to the garage re-fill vacumn test fail, venting to atmosphere is illegal - I will be trying to test the system integrity myself after condenser replacement via one of the cheap home re-fill hoses which has a gauge calibrated pressure to vacumn, with an adaptor to replicate the can fitting thread to allow me to connect to a vacumn source.

@KeithCheetham have you looked (all) around yours with a UV torch? In case there's more leaks than just the condenser. Ideal time to replace any o-rings which might be starting to go.

Will your new condenser not come with new o-rings though?