How to reset/calibrate air con flaps in MK 4?

I got my Mk 4 (a 1.5L TSI SE Tech) last September but it's only now the weather is hot that I've noticed the air con doesn't seem to be working properly - it's blowing a gale and making a racket but very little is coming out any of the vents even turned up full blast, and after it's been on a few seconds there's a loud clunk like a flap closing. 

I know you could recalibrate the flaps on the older models, there are plenty of youtube videos for the Mk 3 and it sounds like it would solve the problem, but I can't find a way to do it. Any ideas please? 

Photo shows the display/menu in the model I have, not sure if all the Mk 4 have the same one. 

skoda.jpg

Hi there.

I have exactly the same problem and posted on here about it a few weeks ago. I have been waiting for over 4 weeks for the garage to sort it out, 3 times now they have rung me the night before the appointment to postpone due to their Air con machine being broke and as you can imagine it's not pleasant in this weather.

I can also trigger the loud clunk by going into reverse gear, activating the front windscreen washer and turning the AC back on! Hopefully it's a simple fix and it's slightly comforting to know I'm not the only one experiencing it. Interesting that I have the same spec as you as well and got mine in October.

The car is finally due in tomorrow so hopefully I'll have an answer for you after that.

19 minutes ago, Fishcann said:

I can also trigger the loud clunk by going into reverse gear, activating the front windscreen washer and turning the AC back on!

That sounds like the recirculation flap operating.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

That sounds like the recirculation flap operating.

If it is then it's broke as it shouldn't make the noise that it does, not even my teenage son slams his bedroom door as loud as this thing :D  That is just part of the issue though, the whole of the HVAC system has a mind of its own.

Just as an update, the dealer rang me 30 minutes ago to guess what?.......Cancel the booking for tomorrow as the air con machine is broken again :mad: I politely suggest that after 5 weeks of breakdowns they get it repaired or hire a new one in. This local dealer have always been useless but unfortunately they are only 2 miles away and alternatives are much further away.

UPDATE

Just got back from the dealership and it's fixed!

They thought it might be the small motor / mechanism that operates the recirc valve that had become faulty and ordered the part in to replace it but when they took the glove box out and looked around it was a pinched wire that had not been installed correctly at the factory, hence why it was going haywire when I used other things on the car. The master mechanic was great to be fair and he put it all where it should be and now I can drive in blasts of cold air.

Just in time for a temperature drop and the rain :D

So glad it's done now. Might be worth speaking to your dealer about it as once he identified what it was it was a quick fix.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the problems we experience and are waiting on fixes for could be as easily cured.

If they were actually something physical like badly installed wires - rather than blaming everything on software.

How else to explain why some cars are ok while others are not?

Maybe Skoda should consider stripping our dashboards and reassembling them as a possible way to get us the functionality we lack?

3 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the problems we experience and are waiting on fixes for could be as easily cured.

If they were actually something physical like badly installed wires - rather than blaming everything on software.

How else to explain why some cars are ok while others are not?

Maybe Skoda should consider stripping our dashboards and reassembling them as a possible way to get us the functionality we lack?

Chatting with the mechanic, he did say that the head units, (radio), were terrible with wires trailing where they shouldn't.

• 1 year later...