Difficulty releasing bonnet safety catch

After releasing the bonnet via the handle in the passenger foot well, I am  having a problem releasing the safety catch using the lever on the front edge of the bonnet.

Eventually  I managed to release the bonnet and top up the oil, but when I closed it down the problem came back.

Anyone had this happen, and how did you solve it?

Thanks.

Edited by richard999
Spelling

I have the same problem, but I can still open the bonnet.  I think all S2's have it. The problem is that the plastic lever has deformed over the years. Study the mechanism if you want to fix it. Maybe a small mechanical modification will help, otherwise you'll have to exchange the mechanism.

I took my bonnet latch apart, cleaned and put back together slightly nearer the release point. This work for a couple of years but the problem gradually re-appeared. My end solution was a large flat screwdriver to simply move the latch over. Poor design in my opinion. 

Thanks Danny.

I did wonder if it was possible to use a tool to move the catch over.

I will try that later.

I rarely open the bonnet, but had to yesterday because my oil warning light came on and I needed to top up.

I envisaged a situation where I was in some remote place, unable to open the bonnet which would have been a bit of a problem.

I found my bonnet release mechanism had become quite stiff.

The solution was the liberal application of a weather-proof grease to the mechanism under the bonnet.

• Like 2

Normally the problem is just a general gunking up of the spring / latch mechanism. Take the spring unit off the bonnet - it's only 3 torx screws from memory and give it a clean and a brush down with a wire brush. Then lubricate it with something suitable (I've used copper grease and ceramic lubricant in the past - I don't think it makes a crucial difference what you use) and re-attach it. Flex it a few times to make sure you have full movement back in it again and you should be good to go. To be honest, you probably want to get in the habit of doing this every 12 months or so, just as a pre-caution.

The other thing I would say is, one day when you have nothing better to do, find something that can open the latch when it gets stuck and get used to the feel of how to do it. Basically you need something long and thin and strong (a very long screwdriver or similar is ideal). Once you have that, push it in under the released bonnet and use it to push the catch free of the lever. From memory, I think you would be pushing to the right (or levering to the right) as you look into the car. It's easy to do once you have the right tool and have done it once or twice. But at least you'll know how to get it open if it does happen to you some day.

• Like 1

Up date……

I followed the advice given and used a nice long flat metal file ( which I will now keep in the car) to move the catch from right to left to release the bonnet.

I can see the three screws holding the catch (I’m not sure what “Torx” screws are)

I’m hesitant about taking the catch off and cleaning it as I might not be able to get it back on again.

At some point I will probably buy a replacement catch and fit it.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

I appreciate it.

Rich

Edited by richard999
Spelling

• 1 month later...

Up date…….

car was due for it’s mot and I told the garage about the problem. 
They said it would be a fail so I said get a new catch and fit it,

the catch cost about £40 I’m not sure how much they charged to fit it because there were a couple of other small things done as well and the total Labour was £45.

I appreciate that I could have saved myself a few quid and done it myself but I’ve got to the age where I’m taking the line of least resistance on lots of things.

Ps I allways remember a friend of mine who was driving over Sydney Harbour Bridge when his bonnet catch came lose and the bonnet opened, folded back and smashed his windscreen. Bought traffic on the bridge to a standstill for a while.