New scala - alloy / ground clearance question

Paulwal

Hello, this is my first post here.

I've just received my new Scala :biggrin: which was a custom build SEL Model. I have the standard 17" wheels that come with the car in the UK, however, i feel as though the ground clearance or space between the wheel and the arch is huge. I keep thinking it looks like it's on stilts!

Does this seem high or normal to people and if so, what do you think i can do? I emailed the branch i bought the car from but they said it looks normal.

Thank you

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4295.jpeg

IMG_4311-min.jpeg

No idea but that looks rather a big space,

best check closely that the Transport Blocks have been removed.   If not have the dealership collect the car to have their Master Tech do a PDI properly.

OT, 

Not to do with the gap, but have you checked what the tyre pressures are as you got the car?  Set them to the pressures you want and reset the TPMS.

That gap does look large. For reference a picture of the Scala courtesy car I had when my Kodiaq was in for a service. 
As above I’d check the transport blocks have been removed.

B6C4F355-4378-4F99-BBF3-BD8549683A74.jpeg

Thanks all.

I had no idea what transport blocks were but it seems like it could be a common issue among the VW/Skoda range. I've called Skoda and they're happy for me to pop along and compare to others and if they do look too big then the servicing team can take a look. I don't want to be that nerd with a tape measure at the dealer but i think it could be worth it :D

I mesured our scala (one week old and same 17inch wheels) and on rear from the upper edge of the alloy wheel (not from the tyre) to the arch i exactly 15,5cm. Hope this is helpful for you.

1 hour ago, Wiegott said:

I mesured our scala (one week old and same 17inch wheels) and on rear from the upper edge of the alloy wheel (not from the tyre) to the arch i exactly 15,5cm. Hope this is helpful for you.

Thank you so much, this is excellent.

I'll measure mine tomorrow morning and see how it compares. I'm also going to the skoda garage to look at others so i'll post my update.

9 hours ago, KenONeill said:

If I just want to compare this sort of size, I use a hand.

Great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of this and it's much less embarrassing :blush:

I measured the distance from the edge of the alloy to the wheel arch and these are my measurements:

Front: 16cm

Rear: 17cm

It's much bigger (rear) than the previous members (Wiegott) so it would be interesting to hear what other members have.

Thanks

It was rainy yesterday and I rushed to do it but will measure the front as well today and will tell you. Will do photos as well. But this is big difference 1.5cm for exactly same car. 

I don’t know if the market region have something to do with this. I am not in UK.

Thank you, I really appreciate this. I was also wondering if region may play a role or if it were due to it being a custom build. Hopefully I’ll find out this afternoon when I visit Skoda

UPDATE

I visited the Skoda dealer this morning and other cars definitely have less of a gap between the wheel and the arch. They said I can take it along for them to take a look and see what they can do. They also said that there is likely to be a small percentage either side of what the space should be so I guess this means some may be different to others, I'll find out next week.

Ask your dealer for a print out of all the options that were built into the vehicle when manufactured. Although I own a Scala now I previously had an Octavia L & K  which had sport suspension option when built which was lower than standard. (Not to be confused with adaptive suspension) it therefore had less wheel arch gap than a standard Octavia 

My 2020 Scala SEL has adaptive suspension 18" wheels and 45 profile tyres, which seem to fill the wheel arches well. So difficult to compare with your model without knowing its build specifications 

45 minutes ago, Paulwal said:

UPDATE

I visited the Skoda dealer this morning and other cars definitely have less of a gap between the wheel and the arch. They said I can take it along for them to take a look and see what they can do. They also said that there is likely to be a small percentage either side of what the space should be so I guess this means some may be different to others, I'll find out next week.

Did they check the transport blocks had been removed?

11 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Did they check the transport blocks had been removed?

No as their mechanics don't work on a sunday. This is what they'll do next week when I take it in. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, rdb said:

Ask your dealer for a print out of all the options that were built into the vehicle when manufactured. Although I own a Scala now I previously had an Octavia L & K  which had sport suspension option when built which was lower than standard. (Not to be confused with adaptive suspension) it therefore had less wheel arch gap than a standard Octavia 

My 2020 Scala SEL has adaptive suspension 18" wheels and 45 profile tyres, which seem to fill the wheel arches well. So difficult to compare with your model without knowing its build specifications 

Thanks RDB, I'll definitely do this as I had no idea this is something you can request. It's one of those small things that as a customer I want to look right but sometimes it's hard to articulate why it's important to the staff in store.

1 hour ago, Paulwal said:

Thanks RDB, I'll definitely do this as I had no idea this is something you can request. It's one of those small things that as a customer I want to look right but sometimes it's hard to articulate why it's important to the staff in store.

This is an example of the printout you should get, obviously yours will differ.

Colour Combinations

Metallic colors

-[P7P7] Rallye Green Metallic

Interior colour

-[EX] Black upholstery with black headlining

Optional Equipment

020. Functionality

[PSQ] Sport chassis control with drive mode select

-[1D0] Without trailer hitch

-[2H4] ECO button

-[UB1] Rear shock absorption for sports version

-[G07] Shock absorption in front

-[EF1] ECO function

060. Comfort

-[4GX] Heated windscreen

050. Wheel

[PJV] 18" Vega Aero alloy wheels

-[1NM] Trims for alloy wheels

-[C3I] Alloy wheels 7J x 18

-[J60] Suspension range 60

030. Steering wheel/interior/seats functionality

[PKR] Front centre armrest with 2 rear USB-C ports

-[6E3] Front centre armrest

-[U9C] External, USB type C socket and charging socket(s)

[PLL] Leather sports multifunction steering wheel

-[2PK] Leather-wrapped multifunction sports steering wheel w/ tiptronic

Special edition packages

[PSA] Exterior design pack

-[7N0] Without overhead storage compartment

-[3FV] Big roof system

-[3RU] Tailgate with window aperture

-[8IX] LED headlamps with cornering light (separate daytime running lamps with special class-A surface)

-[8Q3] Dynamic headlight range control (self-adjusting while driving)

-[8WB] Front fog lamps

[WBA] Sport interior

-[1U8] Without folding table on front seat backrest

-[QQ1] Ambient lighting - white

-[5MI] Decorative inserts for small batch

-[VF2] Pedal cluster

-[6NC] Black roof lining for beige interior

-[3J4] Head restraints for front seats

-[2FS] Leather-wrapped multifunction sports steering wheel

-[N0T] Seat trim covers in fabric "Sport"

-[Q4H] Sports comfort seats in front

42 minutes ago, rdb said:

This is an example of the printout you should get, obviously yours will differ.

Colour Combinations

Metallic colors

-[P7P7] Rallye Green Metallic

Interior colour

-[EX] Black upholstery with black headlining

Optional Equipment

020. Functionality

[PSQ] Sport chassis control with drive mode select

-[1D0] Without trailer hitch

-[2H4] ECO button

-[UB1] Rear shock absorption for sports version

-[G07] Shock absorption in front

-[EF1] ECO function

060. Comfort

-[4GX] Heated windscreen

050. Wheel

[PJV] 18" Vega Aero alloy wheels

-[1NM] Trims for alloy wheels

-[C3I] Alloy wheels 7J x 18

-[J60] Suspension range 60

030. Steering wheel/interior/seats functionality

[PKR] Front centre armrest with 2 rear USB-C ports

-[6E3] Front centre armrest

-[U9C] External, USB type C socket and charging socket(s)

[PLL] Leather sports multifunction steering wheel

-[2PK] Leather-wrapped multifunction sports steering wheel w/ tiptronic

Special edition packages

[PSA] Exterior design pack

-[7N0] Without overhead storage compartment

-[3FV] Big roof system

-[3RU] Tailgate with window aperture

-[8IX] LED headlamps with cornering light (separate daytime running lamps with special class-A surface)

-[8Q3] Dynamic headlight range control (self-adjusting while driving)

-[8WB] Front fog lamps

[WBA] Sport interior

-[1U8] Without folding table on front seat backrest

-[QQ1] Ambient lighting - white

-[5MI] Decorative inserts for small batch

-[VF2] Pedal cluster

-[6NC] Black roof lining for beige interior

-[3J4] Head restraints for front seats

-[2FS] Leather-wrapped multifunction sports steering wheel

-[N0T] Seat trim covers in fabric "Sport"

-[Q4H] Sports comfort seats in front

Thanks, that's brilliant. This will really help me if they're not understanding what I'm looking for.

Did you ask for yours or did they simply provide you with this?

39 minutes ago, Paulwal said:

Thanks, that's brilliant. This will really help me if they're not understanding what I'm looking for.

Did you ask for yours or did they simply provide you with this?

I asked for it before purchase, the car was 6 weeks old before I bought it and I wanted to sure of the full spec 

4 minutes ago, rdb said:

I asked for it before purchase, the car was 6 weeks old before I bought it and I wanted to sure of the full spec 

I wish I had the knowledge to have done this but I now know for next time :)

1 hour ago, Paulwal said:

I wish I had the knowledge to have done this but I now know for next time :)

The three character letter/number codes may be on a rectangular sticker in one of the books in your owners pack for your car. If so there is an online tool ( search for "VW option decoding tool" or similar. From memory it's a slow job doing it code by code, much quicker if the Dealer does it. If you find the sticker I'll send you a link to the Web for the decoder!

3 minutes ago, rdb said:

The three character letter/number codes may be on a rectangular sticker in one of the books in your owners pack for your car. If so there is an online tool ( search for "VW option decoding tool" or similar. From memory it's a slow job doing it code by code, much quicker if the Dealer does it. If you find the sticker I'll send you a link to the Web for the decoder!

Here is the link if useful to you http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

14 minutes ago, rdb said:

Here is the link if useful to you http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

Thanks for this link. I'll look for the sticker you've mentioned but I've not seen it so far. I'm not even sure if I have an actual log book as they said that everything is now online. I do have a skoda manual but I'd guess it's not in there.

7 minutes ago, Paulwal said:

Thanks for this link. I'll look for the sticker you've mentioned but I've not seen it so far. I'm not even sure if I have an actual log book as they said that everything is now online. I do have a skoda manual but I'd guess it's not in there.

You might be right. I cannot check whether there was a sticker for my Scala, as I'm yet to receive the " book pack" for it which is apparently on back order!! Previous Skoda I have owned also had the sticker in the boot area under carpet, but certainly not evident on my Scala. Good luck with sorting your issue out.

I have the same 17inch stratos wheels. I dont have adaptive suspension and the gap is definitely smaller than the ones in your picture.

The gaps are similar to the ones in the white example above with the 18inch aeros fitted.

image.thumb.png.d8fc6d43a66965862274d8fbda1676df.png

• Like 1