New scala - alloy / ground clearance question

Paulwal

12 minutes ago, MrMorm said:

I have the same 17inch stratos wheels. I dont have adaptive suspension and the gap is definitely smaller than the ones in your picture.

The gaps are similar to the ones in the white example above with the 18inch aeros fitted.

image.thumb.png.d8fc6d43a66965862274d8fbda1676df.png

Thanks, it's a great help and yeah, it definitely looks lower - and therefore better.

I just hope they can actually do something about it but that would mean them admitting it isn't quite right.

13 hours ago, MrMorm said:

I have the same 17inch stratos wheels. I dont have adaptive suspension and the gap is definitely smaller than the ones in your picture.

The gaps are similar to the ones in the white example above with the 18inch aeros fitted.

image.thumb.png.d8fc6d43a66965862274d8fbda1676df.png

Was your car bought from new?

Sorry for my late reply but my wife driving the scala so I had no time to go and do it. Here are the measurments :

Front: 16cm

Rear: 15,5cm

I measured them straight up but the photos are not straight.

6EF1D33A-AED4-4530-9BDD-8632337433DC.jpeg

512CDC32-A8B8-4864-A4C9-E1150A5CF4B0.jpeg

D0B3CD9D-5B38-4C21-83D1-AAAB64CE325D.jpeg

Edited by Wiegott

28 minutes ago, Wiegott said:

Sorry for my late reply but my wife driving the scala so I had no time to go and do it. Here are the measurments :

Front: 16cm

Rear: 15,5cm

I measured them straight up but the photos are not straight.

6EF1D33A-AED4-4530-9BDD-8632337433DC.jpeg

512CDC32-A8B8-4864-A4C9-E1150A5CF4B0.jpeg

D0B3CD9D-5B38-4C21-83D1-AAAB64CE325D.jpeg

Hi Wieggot

Thanks for this. Looking at your measurements mine actually looks quite close so that's reassuring. I do have it booked into Skoda tomorrow for them to jack it up and take a closer look to be sure.

You've been a great help and your Scala looks great in that colour!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Wiegott said:

Hey, what happened with the check at Skoda? Did they fix it if there was something wrong or it is normal for your scala? 

I am curious what happened.

Hi

sorry, it's been a hectic week trying to sell my old car. They said that the clearance was fine and no transportation blocks were left. They even took a photo of another scala that was in the garage and they both looked the same. I'm now at peace with it. It still looks higher than I'd like, however, I bought the car mainly as a family car and for one that was safe, good on tech but still looks good and it still meets those things. For anyone thinking of a scala, i'd definitely recommend it.

Glad you like your Scala and that the dealer has confirmed there is no issue with your suspension. My Scala seems quite similar to yours and agree that the gap in the arches does seem a bit more than you might expect. However, it does make for quite a nice comfy ride and means it's highly unlikely you will ever bottom it out on any speed bumps! Given the car is based on the same chassis as the current Polo, the 17' wheels still fill the arches better than the typical 15' wheels you get on most Polo's.

Screenshot_20210812-205901_Gallery.jpg

On 12/08/2021 at 22:10, Mdev said:

Glad you like your Scala and that the dealer has confirmed there is no issue with your suspension. My Scala seems quite similar to yours and agree that the gap in the arches does seem a bit more than you might expect. However, it does make for quite a nice comfy ride and means it's highly unlikely you will ever bottom it out on any speed bumps! Given the car is based on the same chassis as the current Polo, the 17' wheels still fill the arches better than the typical 15' wheels you get on most Polo's.

Screenshot_20210812-205901_Gallery.jpg

You're right, the ride is really impressive, it's better than an old Golf MK5 that I had which was a really nice ride. It's also the reason I bought it. With just having a baby we wanted something that would be ideal for the family which this definitely is.

• Love it! 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, good to see some new Scala owners and a nice little community forming on the forum.

@Paulwal with regards to your original query, I had the same thoughts as you when I took delivery of my Scala 18months ago (SEL with 18" Vega alloys).  I talked to dealer about it and they did some investigation, their end response was that nearly  all the promotional images of the Scala are of the Monte Carlo or with the chassis control option, where it is possible to select 'sport' driving mode and which lowers the ride height electronically by 15mm.  So what this means is that, while you are researching and looking at nice images of a Scala you're subconscious is almost being preconditioned that it is a lower more sporty chassis than it is on most  models.

To alter this, you can drop it 30mm on Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs.  Here in the UK most insurers will allow you one performance modification with little to no change on your policy premium.  The Eibach Pro-Kit are TUV approved for use with the standard shocks well within the tolerances of day to day driving.  You can find them online direct from Eibachshop.co.uk for less than 200GBP and fitting will be 2-3 hours with new alignment included.   The Pro-Kit will reduce that gap significantly and improve cornering as well as nose dive under braking.  Of course they will also be stiffer and you will feel the bumps more, but they are still great for day to day driving in my opinion, and the list of pros far outweighs the cons.

For some guidance,  I am driving an SEL without the chassis control option on Vega 18s with the Eibach Pro-Kit -30mm springs and here are some pics.  Could still easily go lower in my opinion but then you are either looking at going to Eibach Sportline springs with uprated Bilstein B6 shocks or full on coilovers, and either way it starts to get pricey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For more see my project thread here, or view @skodascalauk on instagram. Cheers, and safe journey.

On 15/09/2021 at 13:19, Steve8O said:

Hi all, good to see some new Scala owners and a nice little community forming on the forum.

@Paulwal with regards to your original query, I had the same thoughts as you when I took delivery of my Scala 18months ago (SEL with 18" Vega alloys).  I talked to dealer about it and they did some investigation, their end response was that nearly  all the promotional images of the Scala are of the Monte Carlo or with the chassis control option, where it is possible to select 'sport' driving mode and which lowers the ride height electronically by 15mm.  So what this means is that, while you are researching and looking at nice images of a Scala you're subconscious is almost being preconditioned that it is a lower more sporty chassis than it is on most  models.

To alter this, you can drop it 30mm on Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs.  Here in the UK most insurers will allow you one performance modification with little to no change on your policy premium.  The Eibach Pro-Kit are TUV approved for use with the standard shocks well within the tolerances of day to day driving.  You can find them online direct from Eibachshop.co.uk for less than 200GBP and fitting will be 2-3 hours with new alignment included.   The Pro-Kit will reduce that gap significantly and improve cornering as well as nose dive under braking.  Of course they will also be stiffer and you will feel the bumps more, but they are still great for day to day driving in my opinion, and the list of pros far outweighs the cons.

For some guidance,  I am driving an SEL without the chassis control option on Vega 18s with the Eibach Pro-Kit -30mm springs and here are some pics.  Could still easily go lower in my opinion but then you are either looking at going to Eibach Sportline springs with uprated Bilstein B6 shocks or full on coilovers, and either way it starts to get pricey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For more see my project thread here, or view @skodascalauk on instagram. Cheers, and safe journey.

Hi

Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it.

First off, your car looks awesome. If the Scala was my own (I care share with my wife) I'd probably make some adjustments like those you have as they really make the car look sportier. The black grill and alloys are such a good feature against the white.

It's great to know about the suspension for lowering the vehicle, I had no idea this was an option so thanks for telling me this, I'll bear it in mind.

Cheers,

Paul

28 minutes ago, Paulwal said:

Hi

Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it.

First off, your car looks awesome. If the Scala was my own (I care share with my wife) I'd probably make some adjustments like those you have as they really make the car look sportier. The black grill and alloys are such a good feature against the white.

It's great to know about the suspension for lowering the vehicle, I had no idea this was an option so thanks for telling me this, I'll bear it in mind.

Cheers,

Paul

Not a problem,

My wife doesn't drive so the pro is I don't have to share the Scala but it doesn't really outweigh the con of having to take her, the kids and the dog everywhere they need to go (small cry).

All the best