Roof bars help

I have a the estate and have been gifted a set of Thule roof bars by my father in law that he used on his Hyundai i40 estate a few years ago.

he has given me a foot pack which are labelled as as being for cars with flush roof rails - ‘rapid system 753’

according to the Thule website the compatible system for the mk IV estate is the 720600 foot pack and fitting kit 186096. 

my question(s) is(are):

could I use the 753 rapid system on my car?

if so, could I buy fitting kit 186096 and use in conjunction with that foot pack

or

would I have to buy a different fitting kit to use alongside the rapid system 753

or is it a case that I just need to fork out for the 186096 fitting kit and 720600 foot pack?

Apologies as total novice when it comes to roof bars!

I understanding is that the 753 is an older system which is gradually being replaced by the Evo etc systems; thus I doubt there will be a fitting kit for new car models like the Octavia Mk4. Probably worth checking direct with Thule though.

• Thanks 1

Have a look at this for compatability http://www.stilusosutazas.hu/custom/stilusosutazas/image/data/product/csomagtartok/Thule_Guide_2017.pdf

I would probably guess that if Thule give another part number to fit the new car then the 753 won’t work. I certainly wouldn’t risk it for a few quid, might have insurance implications. Especially if you’re carrying expensive stuff on the top like bikes or boats. Any load flinging itself off at speed could be fatal though which doesn’t warrant the risk. 

There does seem to be an issue with stock levels at the moment with Thule stuff - brexit/coronavirus related as usual I would have thought. 

Normally I would say pick up the spares you need on eBay but it seems the prices are high at the moment on there probably because of limited new stock. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

This is what I have on mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383724471835

Do you have any pics of what they look like on your car? I was thinking of getting exactly the same bars when I get my car, with 2 bike holders, but was concerned it puts the bike holders more to the centre of the car which may make them harder to reach. 

But I want them to look good and not be noisy at speed - any feedback on wind noise?

Edited by MiniNinjaRob

2 minutes ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

There does seem to be an issue with stock levels at the moment with Thule stuff - brexit/coronavirus related as usual I would have thought. 

Normally I would say pick up the spares you need on eBay but it seems the prices are high at the moment on there probably because of limited new stock. 

When I wanted some for mine the local stockist told me they were not back up to speed after covid and advised me to buy from ebay, which I did.

There are different types of foot pack;

Without rails

Flush Rails

Raised Rails

My estate has raised rails, and I needed the appropriate foot pack. About £70-£80 and well worth the price.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pagan-Image said:

There are different types of foot pack;

Without rails

Flush Rails

Raised Rails

My estate has raised rails, and I needed the appropriate foot pack. About £70-£80 and well worth the price.

Yea but there is more than one foot pack for all three of those options. There isn’t just 3 foot packs in total which will fit all cars. 

This guide is from 2018, but is the one I used when i bought mine, it describes which bars and feet are for which car.

Thule_Guide_2018_EN.pdf (stilusosutazas.hu)

FYI i had to get the 757 for my Octy 3 estate.

It should just be a case of buying the correct foot pack for your car :) If your roof rails are raised up and have a space under them, then AFAIK the 757 kit will work for you, if they are flush rails with no gap, then the kit you have should work.

image.png.c0fc1aaf87a53897e71c2a1a595387d6.png

image.png.aee654bcc4ae08cfd86cb336f9844628.png

Edited by Pagan-Image

8 hours ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

But I want them to look good and not be noisy at speed - any feedback on wind noise?

I thought I had pics but can't find them and bars not fitted at present.

The wing bars look good and don't even know they're there for noise.

The link I posted is the correct bars and fittings for a mk4 Octavia estate.

20 minutes ago, Pagan-Image said:

I have the wing Bars, they are excellent, I don't hear them at all.

Do you have any attachments on them like bike mounts?

I normally order my roof racks and bike racks from roof box.co.uk - best price and excellent service. 

I have also new wing bars and mounts, and i can say that is wonderful silence even when i have bike on. As i have sunroof still i can not belive how silent it is supose to my old Kia Sportage... 

20210228_181402.thumb.jpg.b88d83da707b3086070ae35fc0533fa6.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

Do you have any attachments on them like bike mounts?

I normally order my roof racks and bike racks from roof box.co.uk - best price and excellent service. 

Yes I have Thule bike carriers, even with those on they are very quiet.

Edited by Pagan-Image

12 hours ago, Croivan said:

I have also new wing bars and mounts, and i can say that is wonderful silence even when i have bike on. As i have sunroof still i can not belive how silent it is supose to my old Kia Sportage... 

20210228_181402.thumb.jpg.b88d83da707b3086070ae35fc0533fa6.jpg

Thanks - which bike mount have you got on there? I much prefer the fork mount ones, the frame holding ones I just don’t trust (bad experience in the past and my interpretation of  engineering physics!). 

37 minutes ago, Pagan-Image said:

Yes I have Thule bike carriers, even with those on they are very quiet.

Thanks very much that’s good to know. 

I’m very sensitive to noise in a car so what I think I will do when I get my car (December maybe?) I’ll fit the roof system straight away so I’ll never know what it’s like without it!!

The only decision I’ll have to make is silver or black bars….. (argh I hate making decisions!!). 

58 minutes ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

Thanks - which bike mount have you got on there? I much prefer the fork mount ones, the frame holding ones I just don’t trust (bad experience in the past and my interpretation of  engineering physics!). 

Thanks very much that’s good to know. 

I’m very sensitive to noise in a car so what I think I will do when I get my car (December maybe?) I’ll fit the roof system straight away so I’ll never know what it’s like without it!!

The only decision I’ll have to make is silver or black bars….. (argh I hate making decisions!!). 

It is Thule ThruRide 565, I also like it because bike is more stable, drove many times at speed around 150-170 km/h on Octavia and my previous car, there was never any  problem.

52 minutes ago, Pagan-Image said:

Black Bars for the win!

20210711_082916.jpg

That looks decent!

I don’t know why they charge so much extra for black, it’s just a different colour anodising that’s all. 

I’m getting a petrol blue car which will have silver rails so I’m leaning towards silver which will be a better contrast to the darker paint and match the rails too. 
Black is definitely best on the VRS and lighter paint colours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

Wingbar edge.

20210604_192417.jpg

How do you find it is getting the bikes up there? I was slightly concerned that the bike mount has to be further towards the centre of the car with the wing bar edge rails. I’m only 5’7” with short arms. 

47 minutes ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

How do you find it is getting the bikes up there? I was slightly concerned that the bike mount has to be further towards the centre of the car with the wing bar edge rails. I’m only 5’7” with short arms. 

I previously had a Kodiaq so it's much easier than that. To be honest the bars are only an inch or 2 shorter at each end so it's not too bad if you stand on the sill (carefully) ;)

I do try to park near a kerb or something raised, at home I have a box to stand on. I'm 5' 9" so not exactly a giant.

55 minutes ago, sneal said:

Anybody using the Skoda accessory roof bars, or have experience of them compared to the Thule products?

Looking at the pics on the website they don’t look as good as the aero Thule ones and I wasn’t going to go for them. They look fairly square. 
They will just be rebadged from another company. 
TIP - if you want a bike holder to attach to a rack look for Volvo branded Thule ones on eBay - they are LOADS cheaper but exactly the same as Thule just the name changed. 

Edited by MiniNinjaRob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update,

as I’m already 10 months into a 24 months lease, and with a baby due any time, I decided to not bother spending £150 to get Thule feet and fitting kit to fit the bars I already had, especially as I’ll be lucky if I’ll need to use roof bars half a dozen times over next year in a bit.

I managed to find a set of cheap and cheerful Modula ones for £80 delivered that’ll do the job I need them to do!

https://www.driveden.com/product/modula-oval-aluminium-black-roof-bars-to-fit-skoda-octavia-estate-mk4-2020-2021-closed-roof-rail-7083

On 15/08/2021 at 11:04, Davidr1986 said:

Just an update,

as I’m already 10 months into a 24 months lease, and with a baby due any time, I decided to not bother spending £150 to get Thule feet and fitting kit to fit the bars I already had, especially as I’ll be lucky if I’ll need to use roof bars half a dozen times over next year in a bit.

I managed to find a set of cheap and cheerful Modula ones for £80 delivered that’ll do the job I need them to do!

https://www.driveden.com/product/modula-oval-aluminium-black-roof-bars-to-fit-skoda-octavia-estate-mk4-2020-2021-closed-roof-rail-7083

David did you get these? What are they like if you did?