MIB2 retrofit on an MY2015 L&K

Hello all,

I believe I need a bit of help - I'm in the process of pricing up a MIB2 retrofit as I've got incredibly sick of not having CarPlay available in my car, however I'm acutely aware that as an L&K owner it isn't quite as simple as swapping out the display and radio units (plus the coding/CP removal) - I have to do something about the Canton amp unit as well. I'm not a stranger to doing a bit of work on car stereo systems but in this case it's getting a little more confusing than I would like!

So from what I gather I would need to pick up the following:

• MIB2 compatible USB module; p/n 5Q0035726E 
  • MIB2 compatible Canton amplifier; p/n 81A035223
  • Amundsen MIB2 radio unit; p/n 5Q0035874A/B/C
  • 8" Display unit; p/n 5E0919605J

The eBay listings I've been looking at for Amundsen units at least seem to have the radio unit and display unit bundled up, often with CP removal already done on them. I'm not super fussed about the MIB2.5 9" display - anything's an upgrade over the 6" basic screen I've got at the moment.

Would it be possible to get a bit of a pointer as to whether I'm going down the right lines, or have I got something completely wrong before I start blowing cash on getting all the bits together? Obviously after that I'm gonna have to look at getting all the coding and CP removal done, but I'm gonna take it one step at a time I think :) (but if there's any suggestions for anyone who can do this in the South West area at large I'm all ears!)

Cheers! :)

oh....avoid an ebay special - it probably won't work properly.  Our expert @pab567 is the man to speak with.  He can sort your out with an Amunsden 8" screen MIB 2.5 system (you canny use Skoda Connect services though). 

42 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

oh....avoid an ebay special - it probably won't work properly.  Our expert @pab567 is the man to speak with.  He can sort your out with an Amunsden 8" screen MIB 2.5 system (you canny use Skoda Connect services though). 

Not too fussed about the connect devices as things go - as long as I can get to Siri and Waze through CarPlay I’ll be happy! 😂

• Like 1

So now you have Amundsen MIB1 5E0035874A, 5.8" screen 5E0919605D, USB 5Q0035726B and CANTON sound system with amplifier 8V0035223. All four components (glove box unit, screen, USB port, amplifier) must be replaced.

You have to identify your needs:

1. playback of CDs and DVDs?

2. playback of video files from SD and USB?

3. support for displaying OEM maps on AID (Active Info Display = Virtual Cockpit)?

Knowing the answers I can recommend setup perfectly matching your needs.

1) Don’t care about CDs or DVDs.

2) Don’t care about video file playback.

3) Don’t have virtual cockpit and don’t have any plans to get it in the future. I assume that won’t affect direction info appearing in the normal (non virtual-cockpit) colour LCD though?

Just an update on this; I was able to source a working MIB2 compatible Canton amplifier (81A035223) - I don't yet know the state of the component protection on it but I'm sure I'll find out when it gets plugged in.

That just leaves the standard MIB2 upgrade parts I think now - which I will leave to @pab567 to suggest! :)

MIB2 amplifier will be locked with Component Protection as soon as you have it connected.

With your reuqirements you can install any (listed from cheapest to the most expensive) Amundsen MIB2/MIB2.5, Columbus MIB2, Columbus MIB2.5. Amudnsen and Columbus MIB2 work with 6.5 or 8" displays, Columbus MIB2.5 requires 9.2" display.

Update... I've ordered myself an Amundsen MIB2.5(?) radio unit (p/n 5Q0035874C) and 8" display (p/n 5E0919605M - the one with the APP button) together, and also ordered myself the USB module (p/n 5Q0035726E). The new display is a little bit more scratched up that I would like but it ended up being cheaper than just getting the radio unit by itself so figured I'll just give it a going over with some baking soda and a toothbrush to try and get the scratches off. Worst case I'll just pick up another one and still not have lost any money really :D

As soon as I've found someone semi-local (or maybe not so local) who can do CP removal and coding I'll get them chucked in :) suggestions still welcome!

Where did you find the MIB2 amp out of interest? I’m in the same position as you I believe so I’m really interested in how you get on and what bits you end up requiring, if you could keep this updated that would be great 👍🏻 Good luck. 

@RobMac1, shall keep you posted! The amp  just came from a breakers - it’s a little knocked around but (apparently) tested in good working order; it’s off a Superb but they’re the same part so nothing to go wrong there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update on my (mis)adventures :)

The replacement radio and display units have been fitted alongside the replacement amp and USB modules. I haven't been able to get the MIB2 amp into the bay the MIB1 amp was in yet (it looks like some bits need sawing off to get it to fit back in the amp box), but it's been wired up enough for testing. As far as I can tell, everything seems to be working as well as would be expected before coding and CP removal is done :)

So... With that said, I'm putting out another appeal for recommendations for someone to do the coding and CP removal - the unit is fantastic I would just love to be able to use it 😂

Component Protection has to be done by your local Skoda Dealer.  It should be just plug and play between your MIB1 and MIB2 head units....surprised if it isn't.  Putting the head unit back in is tricky....it requires you to feel at the back of the head unit and gently guide the cable loom back into place.

5 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Component Protection has to be done by your local Skoda Dealer.  It should be just plug and play between your MIB1 and MIB2 head units....surprised if it isn't.  Putting the head unit back in is tricky....it requires you to feel at the back of the head unit and gently guide the cable loom back into place.

The head unit is in fine - the problem is the fact I have the Canton amp unit under the passenger seat which had to be upgraded to the MIB2 amp at the same time. Which has been plugged in fine; however the problem is it doesn't fit in the same area the old amp unit did (it's like a box covering a spot with some clips on it that holds the unit in - the problem is the clip spacing is different between the MIB1 and MIB2 amps).

Another update!

The good news - unit has been coded and CP removal has gone fine and all works perfectly and looks fantastic! I'm a big fan of the way the 2018 Amundsen display looks (in fact to some extent I sort of prefer having the extra buttons over the Columbus 9.2 display just to get around easier) - shall get some pics up once it's all sorted. It's a big difference compared to the old MIB1 Amundsen in there beforehand 😁

Bad news however - the MIB2 amp I picked up is completely wrecked (according to the guy who did the coding it would not get picked up by the VW system at all, apparently the logic board was fried) so it looks like I'm back to finding another amp 😞 - thankfully the old one can go back as it was guaranteed working so hopefully should just be a case of picking up a replacement. 

@pab567 - question for you, does the amp need to be 8V0035223 or will 3Q0035466A work too? Don't worry if you don't know but figured you were the person to ask 😂

My MIB2 Amp was 81A035223 if that helps Leigh. 

I have my unit installed and coded now, Amp all fitted and working. However I was informed that my CP wasn’t removed from the HU as it might have removed the hacked element of the unit for CarPlay 🤷🏻‍♂️ Not sure how true that is? 

I agree though, it’s such a good unit compared to what we had originally! 

How much did all this cost you? I'm waiting to pick up a 2015 Octavia, with what I believe to be the Bolero radio.

I need to upgrade it to an android Auto compatible device however I have next to no budget lol

1 hour ago, Lamont1980 said:

How much did all this cost you? I'm waiting to pick up a 2015 Octavia, with what I believe to be the Bolero radio.

I need to upgrade it to an android Auto compatible device however I have next to no budget lol

After buying the Headunit and amp, add on import duty and CP coding, I didn’t have much change from £800/850 I don’t think. Not a cheap mod but I’d say worth it compared to the old MIB1 units. 

6 minutes ago, RobMac1 said:

After buying the Headunit and amp, add on import duty and CP coding, I didn’t have much change from £800/850 I don’t think. Not a cheap mod but I’d say worth it compared to the old MIB1 units. 

Oh lol. That's that idea out the window then.

You can look on eBay for the individual components, maybe collect them

over a bit of time and see if you can get a deal. Here are the ones I had been looking out for to get you a head start, there are a few different options of HU’s and displays you can go for though.

Screen - 8” 5E0919605M 

HeadUnit - 5Q0035874C

Canton Amp - 81A035223

USB- 5Q0035726E

I got a pretty good deal on my 2018 Amundsen - unit and screen for 300 all in, plus  40 for the USB module.

The canton amp is the expensive bit; the (broken) one I bought I picked up for 150 but that’s now had to go back. The replacement I’ve ordered which should be delivered in the next day or so was 350.

I got the coding and CP removal done for 150 and the guy I got to do it is going to finish it off towards the end of this week (hopefully) once the actually working amp arrives.

@Lamont1980, if the car you’re picking up doesn’t have Canton audio you won’t need the amp - it’s just because I have an L&K that I have to shell out the extra.

• 3 weeks later...

So after going through another dead amp (which was again promptly returned), I picked up one of the 3Q0035466A ones thinking that might work instead, (+ also as it was a bit cheaper)… and Lo and behold it does! Audio through the driver speaker and I can finally get Waze on the stereo! 😁

Gonna get the CP removal done in a few days once I can get it booked in, and hopefully this saga can be put to bed 😂

• 10 months later...

Hi! I have a 2015 and want CarPlay/Android Auto badly!!

The main man pabs567 has told me I don't have the CANTON sound system (yay) - but I am NOT experienced with car mechanics and nervous of installing myself.

pabs567 the absolute hero has offered to supply me with parts (glove box, display and USB) - but won't I still need to get them coded at a Skoda dealer?

Does anyone have any installation instructions/videos? Sawing bits off sounds 100% outside of my comfort zone 🤣

I'm also intrigued as to the differences between Amundson 5Q0035874x and Bolero 5Q0035842x?