Map update STD_1510_E_U1_202122. Query

andyspan

Hi,

Downloaded this latest update (STD_1510_E_U1_202122) for the Amundsen which I've done numerous times over the past 5 years and after doing all the same procedure as previously when I come to load it on the Skoda map SD card it says that it's too large for the destination file system. The previous maps reload onto card with no problems. Is there a way round this? I have found in the past that only the Skoda SD card accepts the maps and using a generic one comes up with no data found.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did try search but couldn't find similar problem.  

The latest full Europe maps no longer fit on a 16GB card :)

Obvious options are to buy a 32GB Skoda/VW card or use a map version with fewer countries installed so it's smaller.

I think some files can be removed to make it fit on a 16GB card but I can't remember which...

• Like 1

Thanks for that, thought I was having brain fade!

I will look into getting the larger card.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

1 hour ago, andyspan said:

I will look into getting the larger card.

Do you really need all those countries?
ECE 1 ECE 5 or ECE 6 depending on your needs will fit on your card and covers most nearby countries

1 minute ago, Urrell said:

Do you really need all those countries?
ECE 1 ECE 5 or ECE 6 depending on your needs will fit on your card and covers most nearby countries

I am only loading the smallest region but for apparently a single file on it exceeds the max size (4gb?) for the FAT 32 file system. No expert but I have done this quite a few times with no problem and the general consensus seems to be the larger 32gb card is needed possibly with a different file system (NTFS)?

14 minutes ago, andyspan said:

I am only loading the smallest region but for apparently a single file on it exceeds the max size (4gb?) for the FAT 32 file system. No expert but I have done this quite a few times with no problem and the general consensus seems to be the larger 32gb card is needed possibly with a different file system (NTFS)?

The only way I can see that happening is if the card was not formatted first

Edit: I take it you have not unpacked the zip file first and are trying to copy the zip file to the card as langers2k  has posted.

Edited by Urrell

1 minute ago, Urrell said:

The only way I can see that happening is if the card was not formatted first

I don't think it would be wise to format the Skoda card as it apparently has specific files on it relating to authenticity?

3 minutes ago, andyspan said:

I don't think it would be wise to format the Skoda card as it apparently has specific files on it relating to authenticity?

That's a common misconception :)

The satnav checks the SD card CID which cannot be changed or erased during a format :thumbup:

I think his problem is in previous updates it asked where to unzip and formated the card.
Now it is only downloaded and has to be unzipped to the SD card after it has been formatted to clear it.

I had this problem earlier today I unzipped the file then put it on the card and it wouldn’t work so I then tried extracting straight to the card and it works fine. Good luck and keep trying.

Well, I have tried absolutely everything today and I'm afraid my patience has run out. I have done these updates probably half a dozen time over the years and have never had this problem previously.

I even tried the larger 8gb map version and it loaded onto the Skoda SD card with no problem and when I put the card into the unit the 'map data on card' notice came up but when NAV was selected it told me 'map database unavailable' (or something similar). 

Reloaded the older version (the one I was trying to update) and it works perfectly and that is 14gb in size!

Anyway, I know when to give up and that time has come. I will probably be chopping the car in for a replacement later in the year so I will carry on with the current maps.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Update, after a good nights sleep I woke refreshed and ready to give this effing map update another chance! I combined all your helpful hints and by some miracle it has only gone and worked!

Couldn't honestly explain what I did differently but it works whatever.

This forum certainly is a mine of information and great knowledge!

Have been updating regularly since 2016 purchase.

Yesterday, started update process for ECE A1 2021/2022 to my 32gb SD card using my filed crib sheet (Thank you Urrell and others for past help to create this)

All files shown loaded OK according to my MAC.

Inserted into car - 'map database unavailable'

Mild panic, although I had made an Old Maps contingency back up.

Restarted entire process working methodically through the crib sheet.

Inserted into car - 'map database unavailable' 

Stronger panic, later followed by even stronger panic!

Anyway, after 3 failures, my 4th attempt is working successfully  -  now awaiting the gates to Europe to be fully reopened!

Working down my crib sheet printout, ticking each stage as I went, (download and unzip, unlock card, make back up, format etc) I don't understand 3 misses before the final hit.

Lesson seems to be, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again! Makes your palms sweat a bit though.

• Like 1