Misfire Mk2 Fabia Vrs

Hello all,

Suprise, suprise I've got an engine problem with a mk2 Vrs...

I've had the car for over a year and haven't had any issues up until now. She's on 42k and gets serviced regularly. It's a 63 plate so the CTHE engine.

Over the last couple weeks I've had pretty bad problems with misfiring. It started off when I was giving it some beans in S, the engine light flashed up for a couple of seconds then turned off and it was a bit spluttery under acceleration. Nothing really happened for a couple of days and then it started missing on idle and now it's gotten pretty rough.

When you start the car nothing happens but when it gets up to temperature it starts missing and I've recently noticed the exhaust is smoking a fair amount. It smells a bit rich and the smoke is white.

I changed all 4 coils and plugs and plugged in an OBD reader. There's 5 codes reading "random misfire" "multiple cylinder misfire" "misfire cylinder 1...2...3...4"

I've had a garage look at it and they don't know what's wrong with it so I thought I'd give you guys a shout.

If you need any more info feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Alex

More than likely the wrong plug's or coils were fitted?

To have 4 cylinder's misfiring isn't usually the sign that your going to lose a piston with with these engines and with you having the CTHE build its even more unlikely, Tends to be one cylinder that gives or 2 if your really unlucky. Grab yourself a set of compression tools from amazon for round £15.

You'll soon find an answer.

Thanks for all the replies. Everything's a bit hectic right now so I haven't had a chance to sort it. The plugs were changed in December and I had no problems up until now when they were changed again and the issue is the same so I don't think it would be that. I'll look into getting a compression tester. It's been at a local garage for a week for them to tell me there's no fault codes so nothings wrong with it. They clearly haven't driven it...

23 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Take it away from that garage, if they've had it a week it means they don't have a scooby what's wrong with it.

Good call mate , a stretched timing chain would cause a misfire on all cylinders can you video the sound of the engine on idle 

So I seem to have found the issue. After reading another post about plugs leading yo missfire I bought some new ones and gapped them down to 0.6mm. I've driven it around a bit and I can't feel any stutters or misfiring. Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Like 2

On 28/08/2021 at 14:16, TheGreenPeople said:

So I seem to have found the issue. After reading another post about plugs leading yo missfire I bought some new ones and gapped them down to 0.6mm. I've driven it around a bit and I can't feel any stutters or misfiring. Thanks for all the help everyone.

What plugs did you go for?