Burning Oil

& now VW have Hybrids showing at the 1.4TSI requiring to be serviced at 8,000 miles or 9,000 miles, or 9,400 miles depending on where you read it or who tells you or a VW, a Skoda, Seat or Audi.

They actually mean Oil & Filter change at fixed annual / miles and not a 'Service'  as such, but they will take the cash however.

The Green revolution of using almost no liquid fuel because for short trips you can charge and run on electric is just so much kidology unless there are dealership going to charge fair prices to change the oil and filter on engines that might only run a few hours weekly, monthly or even annually for some drivers.

I've been using a 2018 1.5TSI eco Octavia 3 from new to its current 37000 miles and it has used a litre every 4500 miles or so consistently. It's the only car I have owned or used that has done this. My previous Skoda's (1.9 TDi PD, 2.0 TDI PD, and 2 CR 2.0 TDI's), have used a litre max every 10K miles, if that. Even my near 15 year old Toyota 2.2 D4D engined Corolla only uses 0.2-0.3 litres max every 10K miles. Like said already, the 0-20W oil is very thin. The only positive is that if you get caught out at least the add oil warning is before it reaches minimum. Shame it doesn't have a oil level display on the dash like some French stuff does on start up.

It's also the only car I have ever owned that has almost zero engine braking effect on the motorway when I let off the accelerator. I guess that's low friction for efficiency.

• 1 month later...

As the owners manual tells for every engine type and has done for decades.  May use more oil In the first 5,000 km. Or similar words.    Checking the level cold then at operating temp after collecting a new car, a used car or a borrowed car, or after a service is simply clever.  You want to know the car has enough oil from the off.

Aside from meeting the VW specification (W508 00 I believe, for the 1.5tsi) what’s the best oil and seller?

Would be easy to nip down to Halfords and buy a can of ‘xyz’ brand. But something tells me Castrol or Mobil 1 may be the better way to go.

Suggestions/recommendations please…

thanks.

Edited by sneal
  • Crying 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2021 at 19:47, roottoot said:

@zetzet even if left for 24 months between oil and filter changes that is not going to happen.

And yet (mistakenly) this is what so many manufacturers (to appease fleet buyers) use for servicing. Not a problem for the first owner, numerous problems later though.

• Confused 1

@byteme you have just quoted a reply that was about oil turning to sludge & gluing everything up if left for 30,000 km.  

?

Have you seen the oil turning to sludge when left unchanged for 18,600 miles or more?

I have with my 2.0TDI and others when getting over that and towards 20,000 miles, not with a TSI though. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455376-oil-service-really-required

One i was driving and never owned and that i was not going to change the oil in but that needed plenty of topping up.

2016 2.0 ltr TDI SCR.  Among the last of the great emission test cheaters. 

Screenshot 2021-11-12 21.36.56.png

Edited by roottoot

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@byteme you have just quoted a reply that was about oil turning to sludge & gluing everything up if left for 30,000 km.  

?

Have you seen the oil turning to sludge when left unchanged for 18,600 miles or more?

I have with my 2.0TDI and others when getting over that and towards 20,000 miles, not with a TSI though. 

Yes, the point I was making is that MANUFACTURERS extend service intervals to satisfy fleet and first buyers. It's a ridiculous situation and some have learned from it. At one point Vauxhall has a 30,000 mile oil change interval, massive warranty claims quickly changed that but no manufacturer has much interest after three years. Beyond that it's someone else's problem and cost.

Different times.

I had a Subaru when they introduced 18,000 mile first oil services.

Cars were becoming dangerous because people actually used them for what they were built to do and the cars were getting no inspections underneath from having left the factory because they were not into a dealership.

The engines were coping well, the drivetrains were not.

27 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Different times.

I had a Subaru when they introduced 18,000 mile first oil services.

Cars were becoming dangerous because people actually used them for what they were built to do and the cars were getting no inspections underneath from having left the factory because they were not into a dealership.

The engines were coping well, the drivetrains were not.

And problems compound over time.